Red
    2002 z28

TSP cam package question...

Hey guys heres the scoop i have been looking in to getting a texas speed camshaft package. The cam i have decided to go with is the tsp 228r (228/228 .588/.588 ) heres my question they have two differant packages both come with your choice of cam ,springs and hardened chromoly pushrods but one comes with comp 918 springs but for a 100 bucks more the other kit has comp prc springs which i guess are the double springs that they say are heavy duty and will support up to .660lift what do you guys think? Btw..any oppions on the lsa they offer..112 or 114? I dont want it too choppy...

Also..while im in there i will be upgrading to the ls2 timing chain set, and putting in some ls7 lifters. But i am wondering if i should get some upgraded roller rockers or will the stock ones do....word on the street is that i should also replace my oil pump???
    2002 z28 a4 93,000miles TB Bypass,SLP lid,Berger panel,Whistler mod.soon to come....ss LT's,ORY,cut-out,performabuilt tranny w/3400 stall,and some 3.73's with the TSP228R cam.

It's just word association for me...someone says "running from the cops" and the first thing that comes to me is CAMARO

408 ci + 4000 stall = fun lancesT/A's Avatar

red
    2002 SS

112 isnt too choppy and you should change ur oil pump cause its gonna be off anyways might as well upgrade it i would go with new roller rockers as well

Cobra, Z28, GN, F250

Stock rockers should be fine, you shouldn't pull enough RPM for it to really matter. Thatt cam with an LS6 should make for a great street cam, but it won't pull much past 6,000.

Comp 918's will be fine. I ran 918's on a 598 lift cam, and never had any problems, so they should be more than fine for you. No need to spend the $$$$ on the PRC's, as they won't do anything special.

Since you have an auto, I'd suggest 114, it won't be quite as choppy at idle. If you had a manual trans, I'd say go with the 112, since you're feet would be in control of the take off from idle at all times

-Will

Red
    2002 z28

thanks for the input and the crazy fast response guys

red
    2002 SS

everyone has there opinion but mine is an auto with a 112 lsa and it doesnt have any problems at idle plus he has a stall so it wont just walk away that easy.... not too mention u said stock rollers SHOULD be fine... if ur gonna try to do the cheapest cam set up well youll get what u pay for

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Stock rockers WILL be fine. Plenty of people running them with zero problems.

red
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Stock rockers WILL be fine. Plenty of people running them with zero problems.
    ok ok i surrender

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by lancesT/A View Post
    ok ok i surrender
    I wasnt trying to jump you. Just plenty of people running 500 RWHP applications on stock rocker's. Slowass Mr. Luos for example. I had zero thoughts of running aftermarket rockers when doing my mods. By all means, if you want to spend the money, do it. But it is not a necessity.

Red

114 LSA is nice and subtle, not too obnoxious at all. You can run a beehive spring with no problems on that cam.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

with the cam you posted the the 918's will be fine. also you should get the ported ls6 oil pump and mabe a underdrive pully to. you dont need lifters or rockers with that set up.i got the prc kit from them when i got my cam but i also have a biger cam and heard that there was a lot of bad 918's out but they sead the fixed the issue so you should be just fine with them.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    with the cam you posted the the 918's will be fine. also you should get the ported ls6 oil pump and mabe a underdrive pully to. you dont need lifters or rockers with that set up.i got the prc kit from them when i got my cam but i also have a biger cam and heard that there was a lot of bad 918's out but they sead the fixed the issue so you should be just fine with them.
    There was a bad batch of 918's. That was awhile ago, the problem has been fixed.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

The 918's were also upgraded to .625 lift. Thats what I bought and thats what the note posted in them says. Go with a Lingenfelter Oil pump, its $50 dollars cheaper then TSP Ported LS6 pump.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

Did TSP 228R work well with nitrous??

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by cesarls1 View Post
    Did TSP 228R work well with nitrous??
    you need to call texas-speed and ask them what they think is the best cam for your needs

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

In order to replace the lifters....the heads have to be removed.

If you choose the 918's, I would call and make sure they are the new version. There was a bad batch of broken ones a while back. Pretty sure they are mostly weeded out by now, but just be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Just plenty of people running 500 RWHP applications on stock rocker's. Slowass Mr. Luos for example. I had zero thoughts of running aftermarket rockers when doing my mods. By all means, if you want to spend the money, do it. But it is not a necessity.
    That would be me.
    Running a 248/254 629/622 113 with the stock rockers now for 10K miles.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

For other info... the bad batch had a blue stripe down one side of the springs.

Let me edit this. From what I have read.... that old style 918's that they were having problems with had a blue stripe down the side.
    Last edited by Hi-Po; 05-19-2009 at 09:10 PM.

black
    99 hard top

Quote Originally Posted by Stormzracing View Post
    But i am wondering if i should get some upgraded roller rockers or will the stock ones do....word on the street is that i should also replace my oil pump???
    This is an article I've seen several times about stock ls lifter ratings above .550.: http://www.gmhightechperformance.com..._arm_type.html

In a nutshell, they don't recommend it.

black
    99 hard top

This is an article on stock rockers above .550 lift:

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com..._arm_type.html

Thread Information