red
    2000 camaro ss

trying to find good spark plugs

i just got a 2000 camaro ss and i want to put some new spark plugs in but i dont know which would be the best hopefully some of you guys can help me out. thanks

black
    2000 ws.6 m6

ngk tr55s

Pewter
    99 Firehawk convertable

That's what I use

10's N/A

TR55's!

2000 Z28

I just ordered a set of 8 TR55's from Afterthoughts Auto for $22 shipped to my door.

Trans Am owner
    former

dont fall into the trap of those multiple electrode plugs.

electricity is lazy. it will only go to one, so why block the air/fuel mixture from the spark with all of the other useless electrodes????

exactly.

You'll find most here like the NGK's,,,I personally don't know why. Their heat ranges don't work as advertised, they run hot as hell,,,even the colder TR5 plug is hotter than the stock ACdelco heat range for the LS1. There made in Japan,,,go figure....Just something we found on a DTS dyno.
    People use them though with successs

We found that if the ACdelcos are not what you want and are looking for a colder plug,,,,that the Autolite APP 104 (direct replacement) or a heat range colder APP 103 do the trick...They are made by the same company that makes the Delco plugs.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    You'll find most here like the NGK's,,,I personally don't know why. Their heat ranges don't work as advertised, they run hot as hell,,,even the colder TR5 plug is hotter than the stock ACdelco heat range for the LS1. There made in Japan,,,go figure....Just something we found on a DTS dyno.
    People use them though with successs

We found that if the ACdelcos are not what you want and are looking for a colder plug,,,,that the Autolite APP 104 (direct replacement) or a heat range colder APP 103 do the trick...They are made by the same company that makes the Delco plugs.
    I've had no problems with the above mentioned issues from the NGK plugs. I've used Autolites, AC Delco's, and Champions before (this is my seventh LT1) and I like NGK's the best. But hey, who knows...

red
    2000 camaro ss

thanks for helping me out all I have to do now is order them

silver

I have a 2000 and at an idle it seems to have a small miss. The engine analysis indicated that injectors #1 and #2 (cylinders) were below normal range at idle but functioned well as fuel was supplied. So I changed the injectors and had a complete tune up done $$$$$$ and it still does the same thing. The corvette tech at the dealership told me yesterday that the best plug they have found for the LS1 is the crossfire plug. It burns a little hotter besides increasing horsepower. He said as the valve guides wear, traces of oil can foul the plug tip at idle just enough to give the engine a slight miss where as at higher RPM the plug is burning hot enough to burn off the extra residue. He feels that this plug would solve the problem at idle. Do any of you notice a slight roughness at idle? Has anyone solved this problem by changing plugs? Do I need a swivel socket or ratchet to change plugs on an LS1? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Black
    2000 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by supersport00 View Post
    thanks for helping me out all I have to do now is order them
    If you have a NAPA nearby go there. I picked mine up from there for like $16-18.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by HI O SLVR View Post
    I have a 2000 and at an idle it seems to have a small miss. The engine analysis indicated that injectors #1 and #2 (cylinders) were below normal range at idle but functioned well as fuel was supplied. So I changed the injectors and had a complete tune up done $$$$$$ and it still does the same thing. The corvette tech at the dealership told me yesterday that the best plug they have found for the LS1 is the crossfire plug. It burns a little hotter besides increasing horsepower. He said as the valve guides wear, traces of oil can foul the plug tip at idle just enough to give the engine a slight miss where as at higher RPM the plug is burning hot enough to burn off the extra residue. He feels that this plug would solve the problem at idle. Do any of you notice a slight roughness at idle? Has anyone solved this problem by changing plugs? Do I need a swivel socket or ratchet to change plugs on an LS1? Any ideas would be appreciated.
    was that the same tech that recommended you change injectors? j/k

I own 2 LS1 cars and both idles could be described as rough. I'm not sure how rough you're talking about but both of mine when stock just had a fairly rough idle to them.

Quote Originally Posted by HI O SLVR View Post
    As Orion said,,,I think all of them,,,even the stock engines will have a slight roughness to them at idle. Although I was talking to a local tech up the street from me who runs another shop, they specialize in the turbo buicks but dabbles in LS stuff. He drives a 98 Z among other things.

He was telling me that his also idled rough when running a standard type plug (meaning non platnum) Which I had in my LS1 at the time (NGK TR5) and mine always had a slight roughness at idle. He was talking about the coil packs and how they were designed, getting into stuff that was over my head but told me they were meant to run with at least a platnum style plug.

He was running the standard plugs at the time because the car was on the spray,,,and it idled rough,,,like it had a miss. But at full power it was fine. When he switched to the platinum plug the idle miss went away.

About this time we were experimenting on the dyno with heat ranges. And my LS1 had a rough idle as well. I decided to pull the standard non platinum NGK's and installed a set of APP103 autolites,,,which are platinum plugs,,,,I'll be damned,,,my LS1 now idles butt smooth.

Not sure if there is anything to the platinum/non platinum theory this tech was explaining to me,,,,but it sure did smooth my car out.

silver

I can feel it in the seat and steering wheel. The analysis clearly indicates the below normal activity of the two injectors at idle which is causing the rough idle. Todays ignition systems produce a smooth engine performance and I just don't feel this is as smooth as it should be with todays technology. All other injectors are above the normal range. I have not run another analysis since the new injector were put in but I would say the results will be the same. The dealer wants 150.00 to put crossfire plugs in they say it is very tight getting the plugs in and out and they use a swivel socket and retchet and it is time consuming to put a set of plugs in. They also said that each AC delco crossfire plug is tested before it is packaged to ensure it functions at full performance standard. Can't guarantee the rough idle will be gone but they feel these plugs will help.

Is it possible you have something else going on maybe??? Sounds pretty rough if it's shaking the steering wheel.

What I was talking about was very minor and hardly worth worrying about to most people.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I don't think changing your plugs will help the misfire. I like NGK TR55s myself.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I run AC Delco Iridiums. I believe they are made by NGK. I've been very happy with their performance overall.

Thread Information