Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Trick flow head/cam performance kit

Hello all,

I was considering getting myself, and my WS-6, a graduation present when I finish college next year. I was considering Trick Flow's performance kit.

Trick Flow Specialties TFS-K306-485-460 - Trick Flow® 485 HP GenX® Top-End Engine Kits for GM LS1 - Overview - SummitRacing.com

By the time I would get this, I would be looking at an engine just shy of 100k miles on it. Does anyone have any opinions on the kit, and how much work I will need to do to have a reasonable/durable car that can be a daily driver (if needed be). I'm looking at these aspects:

-Should I need to overhaul the short block when doing this (mileage)

-Emissions issues (after re-programming, of course)

-Durability (mileage, increase in power)

-Drivability

-increased fuel consumption (when not using the loud pedal)

I'm looking to stay slightly ahead of the Jones' driving new Mustangs, Camaro's and Challenger SRT-8's

Old Member, New Username BrownsMillsAntz's Avatar

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

You can get a better cam and heads for WAY cheaper then that.....

Heads/Cam/Intake/Stall.
    404 Rwhp uncorrected @ 6400

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by BrownsMillsAntz View Post
    So any recommendations? And how would they do in the concerns that I have listed?

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

Fuel economy, emmisions, drivability all depend on the tuning and how big of a cam u run...224 Cam and ported 243s (Z06 heads) seem to be a popular option....but there's a ton of them out there....

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

and your mileage should be fine if the car was taken care of

Quote Originally Posted by BrownsMillsAntz View Post
    Cam yes heads no. Trick Flow heads are some of the best out there. TF kits are pricey but they are very nice.

To the OP The kit above will do pretty much what you are looking for but as the other guy said it can be done cheaper. It really depends on your long term goals with the car.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    Cam yes heads no. Trick Flow heads are some of the best out there. TF kits are pricey but they are very nice.

To the OP The kit above will do pretty much what you are looking for but as the other guy said it can be done cheaper. It really depends on your long term goals with the car.
    I'm looking to stay slightly ahead of the Jones' driving new Mustangs, Camaro's and Challenger SRT-8's, while retaining a better than factory drivability and near factory gas mileage (when not using the load pedal too much). I am figuring on keeping the factory intake (LS-6 type, its an '02).

Like I said that kit will do that for you and TF heads are nice. You can go with another head cam combo do the same thing but cheaper. Texas Speed has some really nice kits out there that will save you a few $. If you call them they will recommend something based on your driving and goals. The TF heads will be better if you are going for a high HP NA motor in the future. At least that's my opinion. You really can't go wrong either way it's just a matter of $.

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

What happens if the Jones' start modding?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

It's just a matter of how deep your wallet is

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    It's just a matter of how deep your wallet is
    That's the name of the game right there

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Ok -- someone throw out a comparable combo cheaper than the Trick Flow setup, please. Go ahead and link it.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I don't know for certain that there is like others are stating.

Some "cheap" combo's I've seen are:

241's (stock heads) ported and polished. P&P job will run around $500-$600. Least amount of power gain.

243's port and polished. I've seen these run around $1200ish. More power gain than the 241's, but not nearly as much as a great set of heads like AFR or TrickFlow.

The AFR cylinder heads are well over 2K just for the heads (similar to the TrickFlow heads).

I've seen Patriot and Edelbrock heads before, but I'm not too up to speed on their performance on our cars.

For the most part, all cams run around the same price ~ $400

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Ok -- someone throw out a comparable combo cheaper than the Trick Flow setup, please. Go ahead and link it.
    Comperable or better cam and send some 243's out to AI....w/ pushrods, gaskets and bolts your still under 2 grand

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    It depends on what you are comparing. If it's the heads themselves you will not find any heads cheaper that are better than Trick Flows, AFRs are comparable but just as much if not more money. If you are only comparing the HP the kit will produce there are plenty of them out there that will make similiar numbers just pick one from below and add the right cam. If your goal is to beat SRTs, camaros, 5.0 mustangs and retain driveability there are plenty of kits that will do this for a lot less money.

1998-02 Camaro-Firebird V8 Heads/Cam Packages

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    Hello all,

I was considering getting myself, and my WS-6, a graduation present when I finish college next year. I was considering Trick Flow's performance kit.

Trick Flow Specialties TFS-K306-485-460 - Trick Flow® 485 HP GenX® Top-End Engine Kits for GM LS1 - Overview - SummitRacing.com

By the time I would get this, I would be looking at an engine just shy of 100k miles on it. Does anyone have any opinions on the kit, and how much work I will need to do to have a reasonable/durable car that can be a daily driver (if needed be). I'm looking at these aspects:

-Drivability

I'm looking to stay slightly ahead of the Jones' driving new Mustangs, Camaro's and Challenger SRT-8's

If you are looking at something with that kind of mileage, the best thing to do is a compression test prior to removing anything from the engine. If the compression is low it would be best to rebuild the bottom end before installing anyones top end kit.

Our products do not carry EO numbers on the LS line of parts. So it really depends on the emissions lawas in your area if you can run them or not.

Durabililty and driveability, I would have to say that our products are some of the best in the aftermarket and they will take a beating. We warranty all our parts for 1 year from the date of purchase as long as you follow our instruction. To give you an example of drivabilty, we have a LS1 Camaro here that has had our 515 HP. kit on it since we have designed the heads and cam. That car goes to the track, driven to shows and gets abused as much as possible. We drive this car everywhere, It has been driven 2 hrs. to the track, made several passes and driven back. Never trailered and engine has not been out since the install was done.

With a good tune you should not see a major change in your fuel consumption.

Thank you for considering our product in your future build.

Gregg

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ Good info. It appears that except for the Stage 3's, all of the stock ported and worked heads come in cheaper than aftermarket heads. I think the full Trick Flow kits are running around $3,299 these days, iirc.

Trick Flow heads are nice and I'm sure the kits are top notch but that's a lot of coin for what will amount to 400 rwhp or so. I would think you really need to build a NA monster to take full advantage of those heads. $3,299 is parts only add in labor/tune and you are getting really close to what a procharger would cost. Heck the original OP could smoke SRTs, Mustangs, etc...without even doing heads. A good tune, boltons and cam would get him there with stock heads.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    Trick Flow heads are nice and I'm sure the kits are top notch but that's a lot of coin for what will amount to 400 rwhp or so. I would think you really need to build a NA monster to take full advantage of those heads. $3,299 is parts only add in labor/tune and you are getting really close to what a procharger would cost. Heck the original OP could smoke SRTs, Mustangs, etc...without even doing heads. A good tune, boltons and cam would get him there with stock heads.
    Maybe for a used set-up. I have 3X that in my Procharger set-up in just parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    Hello all,

-Drivability

Durabilty and drivability in this kits are top notch. We have had the 500hp. kit in our shop car since the day we made up these kits. The car gets beat on and has never been trailered. We have taken 2 hr trips to the track and back after making numerous passes on it.

I would consider going through the bottom end to make sure it is tight before installing the kit or any kit for that matter. With that kind of mileage it would be in your best interest.

This are dyno proven its and those are real numbers to the flywheel. As some kits are cheaper you do get what your money is worth in the long run.

Thank you for considering our product on your future build.

Gregg

Thread Information