Medium Patriot Red
    1994 Z28

Top End combo for 440LSX

I have an LSX standard deck iron block bored 4.185", Callies 4.000" crank, 6.125" Ultra rods, and Wiseco +5cc forged slugs(aiming for a 14.3:1CR) that will be going to the machine shop in a couple of weeks. Looking for an all out, top end combo that will generate enough power to propel this 3100#+ camaro into the 9.50's-9.80's. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Medium Patriot Red
    1994 Z28

Wow, no respond here. I guess everyone is busy eating today. Happy Thanksgiving!

Medium Patriot Red
    1994 Z28

Unbelievable! Over 100 views, and a whole month and not one suggestion, or comment. Thanks anyway...

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

It may be that no one here has that level of experience and doesn't want to give bad info. 440 LSx is not your common engine around here.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

One thing what gas will you be running? Pump gas unless e85 isn't goong to cut it for a compression ratio of 14:1. So you are going to have to run race gas, e85, or do something to lower compression. If your top end and are all matched to each other and for your performance needs I don't see why you wouldn't be close to your goal if not there.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 12-29-2013 at 11:36 PM.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

If it's going to a reputable machine shop (hopefully) that should be familiar with a high end build like this then they should be able to suggest a head/cam/intake package that would work best for your goals.

If you haven't found a reputable shop, you aren't that far from Bishcoff who specializes in stuff just like this. One of the best in the country with all makes and models in my opinion with a track record that speaks for itself, and reasonably priced to boot. Currently building a 571 for my father that will spin on the dyno shortly.

Beyond that, I can give you a rough idea on a couple things. In a 3100 lbs. car, providing the car is setup properly, you'll need roughly 750 flywheel HP to dip into the mid to high 9 second range. To make that kind of power naturally aspirated, you'll need a head that is capable of flowing about 375-400 CFM with your bore dimensions. So it's doable.

Best of luck, shouldn't have a problem reaching your goals with the right combo of parts.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 12-30-2013 at 06:15 AM.

Medium Patriot Red
    1994 Z28

Thanks guys. I have been doing a lot of research and found many different combos. Now debating on whether to make this a full race or street/strip. It would be fun to drive this in the local car show and kick ass at the track,,,have a cake and eat it too.

01 SS

Quote Originally Posted by BOLO View Post
    Thanks guys. I have been doing a lot of research and found many different combos. Now debating on whether to make this a full race or street/strip. It would be fun to drive this in the local car show and kick ass at the track,,,have a cake and eat it too.
    I know about cake....but I think you're give up something somewhere. Not too many 9sec NA cars that are also "streetable".

Auto or M6? Rear and gear?
    They said it wouldnt fit in an fbody....

Medium Patriot Red
    1994 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by xssv View Post
    I know about cake....but I think you're give up something somewhere. Not too many 9sec NA cars that are also "streetable".

Auto or M6? Rear and gear?
    Keep in mind, it will not be a daily driver. My definition for "streetable" is able to drive to local car show. No highways, or 20-30 miles trips. Lets just say, a radical street/strip set up. Th400 trans.

Everyones definition of radical is very different, and certainly has nothing to do with a TH400 trans that I'm aware of.

I drive several cars here with TH400's, a couple of them accross country without complaint.

However it's definately a good transmission choice for a big power car. My opinion of streetable is that if it runs on crap pump gas, it's streetable Plenty of 600-700HP street cars on pump gas today that drive anywhere (I have one) and have strayed as far as 200 miles away from home with it. My father currently building an 800 HP pump gas engine that will see more street duty than strip. It can be done. These are naturally aspirated combos too. Very easy nowadays to make this kind of power with the excellent cylinder heads we now have on the market.
    But you can also certainly cruise a 14:1 car to any local show if you don't mind spending the money on race gas, or if you have E85 available to you. You aren't necessarily limited.

Do you have anything against power adders like a turbo or procharger setup? Done correctly you can make twice the power you need to go 9's very easily, and the engine doesn't have to be so radical to do so, which increases your drivability 2 fold.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 01-02-2014 at 04:23 AM.

Medium Patriot Red
    1994 Z28

Nothing against power adders. I have sprayed on my previous set up which gets very addictive and always end up breaking something. Turbo or any force inductions is not in my budget at this time. So it will be an all muscle set up this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by BOLO View Post
    Nothing against power adders. I have sprayed on my previous set up which gets very addictive and always end up breaking something. Turbo or any force inductions is not in my budget at this time. So it will be an all muscle set up this time around.
    Cool, I'd be interested to hear how it turns out.

Thread Information