Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

too many miles for a cam?

This is a discussion on too many miles for a cam? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 I over revved my engine when my transmission broke which backfired my nitrous through my intake ...

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    I over revved my engine when my transmission broke which backfired my nitrous through my intake and my engine caught fire off a 150 wet shot. I put out the fire, separated my wires and taped up my intake and the car drove home just fine and was good as new the nex day after replacing the intake tube and MAF sensor. how many cars can do that?

A 96 cavalier Of course it was only a 75 shot, and the motor only lasted another 3 weeks, but hey, it made it home after almost identical circumstances.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Enough said.

If you don't really understand the issue, don't bother trying to explain it and claim its a design flaw. Plenty of LS motors don't even have the issue, mine included. Its very difficult to match tolerances between metals, which explains why some motors have this issue on startup. It doesn't affect performance or reliability in any way.

Pistonslap.com is the same bunch of assholes that bitched about Dexcool and claimed it was the root of all their problems. Even though they are the ones who left the coolant in for 150,000 miles and let it eat the gaskets. You can't talk sense into some people.
    You know WHY I understand it dude? Cause my car has it MAJOR. I am not going to get into it with you but let me ask you this. WHY is it that PLENTY of LS motors dont even have the issue? Because they were the motors that were made correctly with the right tolerances (got lucky I guess). I happen to have one that isnt and if you think the piston slapping the cylinder wall doesnt harm anything- then it is apparent you dont really understand the issue. Another question for you. Do you honestly think I can sell my car and noone is going to ask me what the hell that noise is and offer way less money OR even buy the car at all? Come on dude-think for yourself. In the past 8 months the noise from my car is 2 x as loud and lasts 2 x as long(only owned the car 10 months)-but I guess the duration and decibel level of said PISTON SLAP means NOTHING either. I am selling my car(if anyone will buy it). Maybe I can tell potential buyers "GM said that loud ass banging noise wont hurt a thing" cause we all know they wouldnt lie. Lastly-why did GM change allowable tolerances starting in 2002? hmmmm sounds fishy to me. But hey if my car didnt have it then I wouldnt give a fk either.

*** "It is difficult to match tolerances between metals"- If thats the case-how come everyone else does it?
    *** One other thing-If you obtain the information you portray from any other method then READING I would like to know how this is done.
    Last edited by LETHALxLS1; 07-26-2007 at 08:38 AM.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Damn,.....I never meant to get anyone in their feelings. I should have never opened this can of worms.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

dude it has nothing to do with feelings-I am a big boy believe me LOL
    I am just proving my point. Thats all.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

i guess i can see both sides, if my car did this i would be pissed belive me! but it doesnt so... i dunno, i guess by the way it sounds if it does it, it started early and gets worse but mine hardly does it and i drive the car so hard i cant belive it hasnt broke, i guess i got the lucky one that did 324 hp to the wheels stock with a 130000k,

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

I am on my second LS1 and neither had piston slap. I have a few friends with them and they have never experienced it as well. Its an Overrated problem on a few vehicles. If you are so disappointed with the slap sell it and buy a ford then you won't have piston slap but wont have breakneck speed as well

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

Quote Originally Posted by slims00ls1z28 View Post
    I am on my second LS1 and neither had piston slap. I have a few friends with them and they have never experienced it as well. Its an Overrated problem on a few vehicles. If you are so disappointed with the slap sell it and buy a ford then you won't have piston slap but wont have breakneck speed as well
    anyone ever heard of the rod bearings going out on the 32 valve romeo motors?? big problem as well, same thing ford said f it. so all companys have problems.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by slims00ls1z28 View Post

Dude-I have bought nothing but Chevy my whole life-I am a very loyal customer (on my 5th z28 and owned 2 chevy trucks and 2 chevy passenger cars) So loyal in fact, I am selling this z28 and buying another that doesnt have the slap problem. I dont know how "common" the problem is but I know this-It sure is embarassing and makes my car sound like a POS. "Its an overated problem on a few vehicles"? Because a few people you know, yourself included, didnt have the problem? Ok dude! WTF ever. Its not "your" problem would have been the correct answer-if your car had piston slap you would be bitching too.
    And to say that Ford doesnt make fast cars is kinda retarded to say. I remember back when the 5.0 GTs would destroy any z28 or IROC for that matter. Do you remember that?
    Last edited by LETHALxLS1; 07-27-2007 at 12:05 PM.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

Quote Originally Posted by BREAKxNECKxSPEED View Post

Dude-I have bought nothing but Chevy my whole life-I am a very loyal customer (on my 5th z28 and owned 2 chevy trucks and 2 chevy passenger cars) So loyal in fact, I am selling this z28 and buying another that doesnt have the slap problem. I dont know how "common" the problem is but I know this-It sure is embarassing and makes my car sound like a POS. "Its an overated problem on a few vehicles"? Because a few people you know, yourself included, didnt have the problem? Ok dude! WTF ever. Its not "your" problem would have been the correct answer-if your car had piston slap you would be bitching too.
    And to say that Ford doesnt make fast cars is kinda retarded to say. I remember back when the 5.0 GTs would destroy any z28 or IROC for that matter. Do you remember that?
    yeagh, i do remeber that, but that was the first time and the last time where a ford mustang came outta the factory faster than any z or ss! for the most part ford sucks ass, there gt's are a joke, only car worth having is a 03 or 04 cobra, and maybe a mach 1, besides that there huge pieces of shit

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Dude- I seriously doubt that. And I am a Chevy guy.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

i am positive on this! in the sixtys the ls6 454 camaro dominated the boss 429, in the 70's the lt1 was faster than the 351 or 428! and the mid 70's mustang was a 4 cylinder turbo hunk of shit! the 80's the 5.0 mustanng was faster, and we alll know how well the 4.6l turned out, what a joke that shit is, does anyone remember when the new cobras came out with the new ohv 4.6 in like 96 and they were getting spanked by the gt's with the 5.0's, there was a lawsuit invoving this, that the cobras were sold as a faster car, but werent! lol, and the new gt's are descent but still cant hang with a stock ls1 f body, except the 03 and 04 cobras and mach 1's.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I hear ya- Makes me even more proud to be a Chevy guy. I just dont get why so many like Fords. I mean dont get me wrong. If my car blew up tomorrow I would still buy another Chevy.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

so are you now agreeing that chevy has always had faster stock cars?

no sarcasm at all!

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

If you say you looked it up I would have to agree. But the 5.0 mustang was faster then the z28 during those years in the 80s.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

alright then! agreed

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

alright then! LOL

Pewter
    2001 Pontiac T/A WS-6

Why not rebuild the motor? It would be a great time for a forged bottom end or maybe even a stroker kit. That's what I would do. Just a thought.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

I have thought about that alittle but would have to do more research on how well the thinner sleeves would actually hold up.
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

dude you DONT need to rebuild your motor! as long as you change the oil frequently and use your head, you will be fine, i say do the cam swap, but as you pointed out you have 80k so if i was you i would replace the pump the chain and pushrods and springs all with high performance parts, your motor is fine, NOW for your rearend and trans that could be a different story after the new mods lol.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Quote Originally Posted by BREAKxNECKxSPEED View Post
    I remember back when the 5.0 GTs would destroy any z28 or IROC for that matter. Do you remember that?
    Nope, back then I had my 69 Nova and showed them all tail lights so I could care less about "back when". I DGAF if a 79pinto was faster than a 82 chevette, or a 5.0 faster than a 305 Camaro. Who's doing what now? I'm not a Ford basher and my post was in jest which should have been obvious with the little nutkick thing and was just rattling your chain, so you can take your attitude and shove it somewhere, like -->.

Reguardless I know of more than just a "few" LS1's, being part of many LS based forums as well as several car clubs, meets, and wrenching on cars on the side so I personally know many LS1 powered vehicles, and like I and someone else in this very thread posted it is an overrated problem or else there would be many posted on here, LS1tech etc, or several others.

I can understand if you are mad/embarassed at your problem, I probably would too but YOU were the one who implied that the LS1 was a slap monster with the "gay-ass piston slap" comment. You don't personally know of "soooooooooo many" you know of one yours so the correct answer would have been "your LS1" has the gay ass piston slap. So if you want to get butthurt over a logical response in jest to your illogical post then thats you, personally I say put your big girl panties on and truck on.
    Last edited by slims00ls1z28; 08-03-2007 at 07:01 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information