time to rebuild. what should i do???

well it was raining really hard and i hydrolocked the motor sending a rod thru the block. so its time to rebuild. what do you guys think i should do im looking at a mild cam, heads, headers and a .030 over short block and that sort of thing. but i havent built a ls1 so i need your help. im looking to stick with the stock converter or maybe a little higher but nothing that crazy. the car is a daily driver for my mom thanks for the help guys

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Your moms DD???

Find something cheap.
    Performance matter?

id like to keep it under 3k but the insurance company is paying to replace the motor/rebuild it, so im just going to have the shop .030 over the block and pay for pistons and while its out of the car i might as well throw a cam and heads and what ever els on it

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I am confused.
    You said a rod waxed the block.
    How are you able to keep the same block???

Even on that note...I wouldn't take an LS1 .030" over. Makes the walls too thin for my liking.

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

This makes no sense, are we even talking about an LS1? I dont think you can even DO a .030 over on one of those. I think .020 is the limit with the sleeves. On the 98's you can only do .05.

well hell lol i didnt know any of that stuff ok here go's. my insurance company will pay for a junkyard motor with the same miles "80k" and they will pay for a shop to pull my old motor and put the "new" motor in. so i was going to have the "new" motor rebuilt with new forged pistons bearings and all that. so while its being rebuilt i would thro a cam heads intake and headers on while there changing motors. but i just want to know what cam heads and intake i should get. and i might as well put a converter in it while the motors out.

so what kinda pistons, heads, cam and intake should i get??

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Are you expecting to get the car from your mom later If you want to go the stroker route or any of that, check out the Lunati rotating assemblies. Very good setup or you can keep the stock bore and go with a nice set of Mahle or JE pistons that are higher than stock in compression and run a N/A beast or drop the compression for a super or turbocharged ride. As far as rods, carillo, lunati, and manley make some nice forged rods. You'll also need the main bearing to match, a good set of head studs, and a nice set of heads. DO your research and find out what suits your "mom's" needs

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

you cant bore the stock block that much over. you're gonna need a new engine. its gonna get over 3k for sure.

Ruby Red
    98 Camaro Z28 402 stroker

you are in way over your head bro... what you need to do is find a shop you can trust near you. Go to a performance shop something like wheel 2 wheel. if you are going to do a stroker go with a eagle crank eagle rods and some coated mahle pistons. you may be able to keep it at 3k or so with that setup. make sure the shop checks the crank for imperfections. Eagle cranks are no known for quality. Get some 317 heads and go with your choice of cam. I like the magic stick 4, personally. You should use an ls6 block because you cant bore the ls1s for shit. I beleive you can bore them to .05 over.
    402 C.I. Engine:Magic Stick V.4 Cam,LPA Custom Ported Polished Heads,Custom Ported and Polished Throttle Body,Spec 13 Lbs. Flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch System,Pro 5.0 Tower, 4.10s

Quote Originally Posted by SDMForever View Post
    you are in way over your head bro... what you need to do is find a shop you can trust near you. Go to a performance shop something like wheel 2 wheel. if you are going to do a stroker go with a eagle crank eagle rods and some coated mahle pistons. you may be able to keep it at 3k or so with that setup. make sure the shop checks the crank for imperfections. Eagle cranks are no known for quality. Get some 317 heads and go with your choice of cam. I like the magic stick 4, personally. You should use an ls6 block because you cant bore the ls1s for shit. I beleive you can bore them to .05 over.
    I hope that you meant .005 over??? Or did you mean you can take the LS6 block .050 over?

Ruby Red
    98 Camaro Z28 402 stroker

right

Thread Information