White
    98 Trans am

Talking Time to build that motor Ive always wanted! Any suggestions?

The journey begins to build a motor for my amazing car any help or advise will be greatly appreciated!

First line of issue, what motor to start with? ls1 vs ls6! I have seen several postings that explain some of the advantages ie. better grade of aluminum and better internal cooling ect however what I would like to know is after all the P’s and Q’s is there a big difference in power and reliability? I am not looking to build a 1200hp motor this is still going to be my DD but if there really is a big difference I would like to know so I am not kicking my self in the head later...

Also, should I be looking for an already built motor or is there a lot of advantage in starting from the block up? I am a novice when is comes to the wrench (I can do a lot of the basics I just have never pulled a motor to pieces before) I do also have a lot of close friends that can help, I just don’t want to get in over my head!!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

You need to state what your goals are for this car before anyone will be able to really offer any feedback in my opinion.

Street use? Track?

Daily driver - so you probably don't want a large cam.

A4 or M6?

Staying N/A? FI?

What ET are you looking to get?

Do you have a budget?

Are you only looking at LS1 vs LS6 or open to other ideas?

hugger orange

Iron block 408
    Forged rotating assembly
    ported/ milled heads
    255/263 .624/624 115lsa cam
    12.5:1 compression

Just a thought

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Do a LSX 454 if you have the money. With some cnc'd ls7 heads and a tsp ls7 cam.

Red
    2000 camaro ss

455 LSx ftw!!

White
    98 Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    You need to state what your goals are for this car before anyone will be able to really offer any feedback in my opinion.

Street use? Track?

Daily driver - so you probably don't want a large cam.

A4 or M6?

Staying N/A? FI?

What ET are you looking to get?

Do you have a budget?

Are you only looking at LS1 vs LS6 or open to other ideas?

I currently have owned a white 98 ls1 M6 for the past 7 years I have just agreed to buy a black 02 ls1 M4 and I have decided with this purchase I want to start my build now, that way by the time I need to replace what is there I will be ready (The m4 trans is on its way out) It is going to be street use there is a lot that I have not decided on yet I do like the idea of the ls series because they have been very good to me and my close friends for a long time now but that does not mean I am closed to suggestions I just want to do my research first.

I like the idea of staying n/a because I am on a budget being that I will be doing this over time it is not huge strict but I would like to stay in the range of 5k ish to build a very strong super reliable motor that will last and can hit around 11 - 12 second 1/4... for example if it is worth it to spend an extra 1200 on a turbo kit but gives my motor a longer life and jumps my power I am willing to do so.

The direction I have been looking is more of building up an ls6, from what I know boring out to a 408 or a 454 would just destroy my fuel economy I still need to be able to afford the gas to and from work and I don’t want to have to use octane above 91! I want port/polish replace heads cam injectors ect and be very efficient in doing so I will also have to save room to rebuild my trans I already have a spare m4 ready to go to a shop and I will need to know what direction to go there as well...

You are right there are sooo many questions that I need to ask and have answered I don’t know many of the terms that are used as far as compression ratios or numbers for heads cranks injectors ect. so I want to learn, I am just looking out of the window of a beginner ls enthusiast and I want to start the research proses of building something I will be very proud of in the near future...

White
    98 Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    Iron block 408
    Forged rotating assembly
    ported/ milled heads
    255/263 .624/624 115lsa cam
    12.5:1 compression

Just a thought
    How would that be for a daily driver? Iron block would be either lt1 or an ls out of a gm truck right? Sorry for the maybe obvious questions but I am a beginner in the motor building community and I would like to learn what I can...

Red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by skinypuppy View Post
    How would that be for a daily driver? Iron block would be either lt1 or an ls out of a gm truck right? Sorry for the maybe obvious questions but I am a beginner in the motor building community and I would like to learn what I can...

Yes the 6 liter is an iron block from a truck, a LSX block is also iron. Pretty stout starting points if your want to push out some good power.

hugger orange

It's an 03 lq4/9 6.0l bored out to 4.030" and 4.00" stroke. This is what I'm running on my 04 GTO, and I daily drive it about 45+ miles a day with a big 16 mpg lol.

It's alitttle much, but still very streetable

hugger orange

I currently have owned a white 98 ls1 M6 for the past 7 years I have just agreed to buy a black 02 ls1 M4 and I have decided with this purchase I want to start my build now, that way by the time I need to replace what is there I will be ready (The m4 trans is on its way out) It is going to be street use there is a lot that I have not decided on yet I do like the idea of the ls series because they have been very good to me and my close friends for a long time now but that does not mean I am closed to suggestions I just want to do my research first.

I like the idea of staying n/a because I am on a budget being that I will be doing this over time it is not huge strict but I would like to stay in the range of 5k ish to build a very strong super reliable motor that will last and can hit around 11 - 12 second 1/4... for example if it is worth it to spend an extra 1200 on a turbo kit but gives my motor a longer life and jumps my power I am willing to do so.

The direction I have been looking is more of building up an ls6, from what I know boring out to a 408 or a 454 would just destroy my fuel economy I still need to be able to afford the gas to and from work and I don’t want to have to use octane above 91! I want port/polish replace heads cam injectors ect and be very efficient in doing so I will also have to save room to rebuild my trans I already have a spare m4 ready to go to a shop and I will need to know what direction to go there as well...

You are right there are sooo many questions that I need to ask and have answered I don’t know many of the terms that are used as far as compression ratios or numbers for heads cranks injectors ect. so I want to learn, I am just looking out of the window of a beginner ls enthusiast and I want to start the research proses of building something I will be very proud of in the near future...
    If you look around you should beable to pick up a used 6.0 block for around $400, full used longblock for around $1,500. Ls1 blocks are alitttle more. The nice thing about the iron blocks is that they can take alitttle more abuse and can be bored and cleaned up a few times before they are junk....but weigh right at 85 lbs more

Black
    '05 GTO

The hardest problems most people have when it comes to biulding there first fast car, is making decisions. You have to make a plan and stick to it.

lets just say...
    So 11 12 ish quarter mile a "good" gas mileage, could maybe get narrowed down to 12.5 et. and 17 mpg, I think that is very realastic and then "bam" you can now say I need about 420 ft lbs and a good clutch, and a good set of tires on the back. So with this engine a factory "short block" can hold it. So get a good set of heads, a cam with no more than about 228 degrees duration at .050 with less than 114 lsa, and it would be very streetable, with a good "lobe sound" then you need headers to match 1 3/4 primarys and good exaust to follow, with a good intake ls6 or better with throttle body to match, then injectors and a solid "tune". and I think you would be able to meet the 12.5 and 17mpg goal.

I'm sure I fucked up some details but that is just an example of a plan.

blue
    1999 trans am

i just rode in a truck with a 408 randomly saw my car in the garage and we talked i took a ride in it.....i now offically want one ....i think he said it was like 500 somthin horse

too many to list
    1964 Chevy El Camino

Crate motor simple as that. Any time someone say gas mileage they want it warmed over stock. go to Jegs website and click engines and components there is a long list of GM Performance parts motors there.

White
    98 Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Jay37 View Post
    The hardest problems most people have when it comes to biulding there first fast car, is making decisions. You have to make a plan and stick to it.

lets just say...
    So 11 12 ish quarter mile a "good" gas mileage, could maybe get narrowed down to 12.5 et. and 17 mpg, I think that is very realastic and then "bam" you can now say I need about 420 ft lbs and a good clutch, and a good set of tires on the back. So with this engine a factory "short block" can hold it. So get a good set of heads, a cam with no more than about 228 degrees duration at .050 with less than 114 lsa, and it would be very streetable, with a good "lobe sound" then you need headers to match 1 3/4 primarys and good exaust to follow, with a good intake ls6 or better with throttle body to match, then injectors and a solid "tune". and I think you would be able to meet the 12.5 and 17mpg goal.

I'm sure I fucked up some details but that is just an example of a plan.
    Thank you this is exactly what I need to see before pulling the trigger on anything you are right making decisions is the hardest part, I will slowly get there thank you for the example it will really help me in the long run here

White
    98 Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    If you look around you should beable to pick up a used 6.0 block for around $400, full used longblock for around $1,500. Ls1 blocks are alitttle more. The nice thing about the iron blocks is that they can take alitttle more abuse and can be bored and cleaned up a few times before they are junk....but weigh right at 85 lbs more
    Thank you! Yah this does seem like a good starting point and I have met enough people that seem to really like the idea of an iron block that I am willing to over look the 85lbs... I will keep posting as I make progress thank you again

Bad habbit- Smoking Fords

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

This is pretty simple, take your LS1 down to the block.
    1. Have it like bored, magnafluxed and bored 10 over.
    2. Buy a pair of Dart Pro LS heads, them put Ferea valves and guides in with an appropriate double spring rated at .660. Use your OEM rockers.
    3. Replace your lifters with LS7 lifters, replace your push rods with Comp Cams
    4. Get a good set of headers (Kooks etc.)
    5. Have your OEM crank cryo treated and replace all internals with forged replacements.
    6. Intake: either FAST 90/90 or use an LS2 intake and throttle body.
    7. Find a great tuner and your done.
    2001 SS - 430 RWHP 412 RWTQ
    6 spd, FIPK, Corsa exhaust, LS7 clutch, Dart Pro PP LS1 heads, custom 220/224 cam, Kooks LT's. Ported TB, Full suspension, C5 ZO6 brake upgrade.

Thread Information