Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    1998 Pontiac TransAM WS6

Ticking from engine can't find cause.

This is going to be a long one.

I was autocrossing in 2005, and this ticking started during one of my runs. Upon further investigation I found that when the car is cold the tick can only be heard when you blip the throttle. Then it rattles on deceleration, just like a loose rocker on the old cars with adjustable valve lash. When it warms up to say 100+ degrees, it will rattle all the time.
    Consulted with several mechanics and all said it was in the valve train. So round one begins

I replace all the push rods think one of them might be bent, even though none looked bent. Still ticks.

Consulted with mechanics again, and they recommended replacing the lifters. So round two begins.

I removed the heads, and replaced the lifters. I screwed up and did not have the heads checked while they were off. Put it back together, and still ticking.

Totally pissed and out of money, I left it set for a year.

Sent it to a certified GM mechanic, (my brother), and he had the Master Engine Tech for GM listen to it. He stated that it was in the valve train. So off come the heads again. The machine shop found one valve seat loose. The then heated the head up to operating temp, and one seat fell out, and two others moved. They also show the valve springs only had between 60-80 lbs of force.

Thinking we found my problem I pursued replacement heads. They wanted $700+ for bare heads. I found GM performance LS2 heads for less than $400, but they were on a nation wide backorder. Then I found a LS6 swap kit on e-bay that included the heads, cam, bolts, and gaskets for less then the bare heads alone.

My car is a 98, so I knew my valve covers would not fit. We found a set off of a 2003 truck that fit, and ordered what we thought were the correct coil mounts. Then ordered the correct coil mounts. Installed the cam, heads, re-plumed the PVC line, and now ready to fire her up.

That DAMN tick is still there!!!!! Same as before!!!!!

Any Ideas?

I have sunk more than $3000 in to this problem, and I am pulling my last three hairs out.

Thanks

Tracey

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

My money would have been on a noisy lifter, but since you already changed those out i don't have a clue.

JOSEY FUCKING WALES! Frankthetank's Avatar

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

ttt......fuck man wish i could help u more

TSP Rumbler, LT's, TSP Tqr2, PRC 921 Springs, Comp Lifters, Chromoly 7.4" Pushrods, Titanium Retainers/Seats/Seals, ARP head bolts, BMR full Rear suspension

"I could break a bowling ball with a plastic hammer in a sandbox"

White
    1998 Trans Am

Can you record the noise & post it ? Might have to upload to photobucket.com to get it in the post... Then we all could listen to it. I run the comp cam 850-16 lifters and they make noise off & on...

JOSEY FUCKING WALES! Frankthetank's Avatar

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

I got aftermarket springs and lifters and my valvetrain makes tons of noise......Ive always heard its normal though.......I guess urs is a bit different though

White
    1998 Trans Am

If I drivee down the road at around 3000 rpm, it starts to tap loud... If I lug the motor, it stays quiet. My cam doesn't like lugging though. At the track, wide open, all day long, no noise...Go figure...

Black & Black
    2001 Firehawk & 2002 WS-6

The first head & cam setup I got was for my firehawk. The first night after picking it up it ticked. Took it back the next day they rechecked everything. It still ticked. Used a different set of lifters from Comp. Still ticked. Went with a set from Lunati and it hasn't happened since (probably 10,000 miles). Both sets of Comp's lifters wouldn't stay pumped up. Also Comp's roller rockers can be noisy, but at least that is the same noise. I can deal with that, but that surging noise just didn't sit right. Somewhere I read you can drill a hole in your lifter trays that will help improve oil flow through there. Anyways good luck and keep those last three hairs. You may want to keep them. LOL

White
    1998 Pontiac TransAM WS6

I will be starting it up tonight for my mechanic to listen to. I will recored a video of it, and post it. I will seperate the audio, and post it also.

Thanks for the support

Tracey

NBM
    1998Z28

There is a thread over on LS1TECH.com with a simular problem.

Question 1. Have you installed an aftermarket camshaft.If so did you check to see if you needed longer/shorter pushrods with a adjustable pushrod?
    Question 2. Have you taken your oil pump off for any reason? People that are having ticking problems are replacing the o-ring on the oil pump because if its cracked or split it is pumping air bubbles with the oil. They guy in the other thread had tried everything and somebody told him what it was and when he change out the O-ring on the oil pump his oil pressure went up,was more stable and when it was first cranked up had like immediate oil pressure instead of watching it come up after it was cranked. There even was a GM Servive Tip that came out from the factory. Hope this helps you been aggravated enough already..............PFM

White
    1998 Pontiac TransAM WS6

I have replace the cam with an LS6 cam. It is only .06MM longer, and that is in the adjustability range of the lifters.

As for the oil pump it has never been off. and the pressure seems fine. We will be checking the presure with an external guage tonight.

The car has only 39000 miles on it, but they are hard miles. I would guess that 15000 of them are on a race track.

Thanks for the advice, I will check the oil pump. Actualy I am going to check everything.

Tracey

White
    1998 Pontiac TransAM WS6

Well here is a link to the video file of the ticking. It is 12090kb.

I will be dropping the motor out this weekend and sending it off to my mechanic. He will tear it completly apart and we will find it this time.

Let me know what you think.

http://www.fastbros.com/TAtickingApril.mpg

Here is the Audio only link:

http://www.fastbros.com/TAticking.mp3

Thanks

Tracey
    Last edited by traceymccabe; 04-12-2007 at 09:15 AM.

White
    1998 Pontiac TransAM WS6

Checked the oil pressure, and it is 39# cold Idle, and 50# at 2500. My dash guage is off, but this is still within spec.

Tracey

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Lol, you are chasing a "problem" that does not exist. That is like trying to get a T2 Torsen in these things to be quiet decelerating and hitting a corner. Every LS1 I know has that to a varying extent. My friend's 01 SS with 26K has it, my 01 WS6 with 79K has it. both run great. The issue is MOST prevalent after a fresh oil change until 500 miles into it or so.

You may have an issue since you did not notice it earlier, but this is MY experience with the LS1 tick. It's normal.
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread...highlight=crap

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

PS, it could also be the O-ring on your oil-pump. This will tick when hot if installed wrong and oil pressure need not suffer to have this issue. Cheap fix if that's it. Go to ls1tech.com and do a search on it. Lot's of people have the issue after changing oil-pumps. Have you still got your stocker or did you change it?

White
    1998 Pontiac TransAM WS6

Still stock, and never touched.

Oil pump that is.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by stanger88 View Post
    Lol, you are chasing a "problem" that does not exist. That is like trying to get a T2 Torsen in these things to be quiet decelerating and hitting a corner. Every LS1 I know has that to a varying extent. My friend's 01 SS with 26K has it, my 01 WS6 with 79K has it. both run great. The issue is MOST prevalent after a fresh oil change until 500 miles into it or so.

You may have an issue since you did not notice it earlier, but this is MY experience with the LS1 tick. It's normal.
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread...highlight=crap
    I am very inclined to agree with you about that, it seems like its just valvetrain noise.

My car has the EXACT same sound as the video you posted...same side of the engine, same location, everything. If I didn't know better I'd say that was a video of my engine lol.

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    I am very inclined to agree with you about that, it seems like its just valvetrain noise.

My car has the EXACT same sound as the video you posted...same side of the engine, same location, everything. If I didn't know better I'd say that was a video of my engine lol.
    It isnt on a certain side, it is all 16 lifters and pushrods and rocker arms. It is a pushrod, all-aluminum motor. That is what it sounds like. Period.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I AGREE That you should pull the motor... That's more than a lifter noise. Might even be excessive piston slap... I assume you had your new heads checked and a valve job before installing ? If so, you might find a piece of piston skirt in the oil pan. Good Luck !!!

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    I AGREE That you should pull the motor... That's more than a lifter noise. Might even be excessive piston slap... I assume you had your new heads checked and a valve job before installing ? If so, you might find a piece of piston skirt in the oil pan. Good Luck !!!
    If you refer to the sound in the vid thats funny. If his noise is different then maybe he should worry.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Well, If his new heads are OK, I think it could be piston noise. Sound like valve / seat noise, but, he said new heads & lifters...
    The vidio link would not open for me. The audio link did play fine.

Thread Information