Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ticking from engine can't find cause.

This is a discussion on Ticking from engine can't find cause. within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by bills98ta Well, If his new heads are OK, I think it could be piston noise. Sound like ...

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    Well, If his new heads are OK, I think it could be piston noise. Sound like valve / seat noise, but, he said new heads & lifters...
    The vidio link would not open for me. The audio link did play fine.
    That sound is in 50% of the LS1's I know of, mine included. Nothing wrong with it. Maybe he has a DIFFERENT noise. If he does, maybe he should worry, if not. It is an LS1, they do this kind of thing.

EDIT:

WHOAH! I was referring to the link I posted. I just listened to his link and yeah, that does not sound good at ALL. I would think maybe a rod or a main. The problem is not all 16 but rather 1/8. What you can do is pull 1 plug, listen to it, replace the plug, pull the next one, listen to it. This will allow you to find, by process of elimination WHICH cylinder is producing the noise. If it is a rod/main the noise will be MUCH quieter when you get to that cylinder b/c the piston will not have any force on it to cause a knock except following the rotation of the crank. The knock should be A LOT quieter/nonexistant when you get to the bad one.

Check your spark plugs, check your headers, check your ORY/Y-pipe and cats to make sure there is no vac-leak causing the noise.

That sounded like murder.
    What was the diagnosis? ConRod bearing?

White
    1998 Pontiac TransAM WS6

Well after the teardown, I found 3 spun bearings cyl 4,5,& 6. I had to beat the cap off of #4. Sending it to the machine shop, for them to check everything out. Right now I am looking at replacing 3 rods, and all the bearings at a minimum. This really sucks!!!

White
    1998 Trans Am

Are you going to upgrade to H beam rods ? I might have some good used rods if you need them. At least 6 good used ones.

JOSEY FUCKING WALES! Frankthetank's Avatar

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

what caused it? NOt running with enough oil....water in ur oil? what happened/?

TSP Rumbler, LT's, TSP Tqr2, PRC 921 Springs, Comp Lifters, Chromoly 7.4" Pushrods, Titanium Retainers/Seats/Seals, ARP head bolts, BMR full Rear suspension

"I could break a bowling ball with a plastic hammer in a sandbox"

JOSEY FUCKING WALES! Frankthetank's Avatar

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

HOly shit that is fucking nasty sounding....I bet a bunch of people feel like dummies now haha....>SOrry to hear that man

White
    1998 Pontiac TransAM WS6

Not exactly sure, but I believe it was a quart low, and I was autocrossing it. It started tapping right after a hard left 180 degree turn. Could have starved it then. I usually check it, but I was in a hurry that day, and it cost me.

As for the H-beam rods, I am waiting on the total damage list from the machine shop before I decide. If I do, I will be purching new. Thanks for the offer though.

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-Awesome

wow tracey thats exactly what happened to me only i was a few quarts too low. and i was told it was a piston tapping... if that is the case for you how much is it costing to fix because i have to do it too

White
    1998 Pontiac TransAM WS6

Well I haven't gotten the total damage report from the machine shop yet. They will let me know next week.

Right now I have $3000.00 tied up in it, by chasing my tail. With labor, and replacing the entire top end.

I will let you know as soon as I get the parts list.

Tracey

red
    2001 ss camaro

noisy lifters

i have an 01 SS with the same noise. I found a bulliten that GM posted about that on motoralldata, a website i use at work, here it is.....

TECHNICAL

Subject:
    Engine Knock or Lifter Noise (Replace 0-Ring)

Models:
    2001-2002 Chevrolet Camaro
    2001-2003 Chevrolet Corvette
    2001-2002 Pontiac Firebird
    2002-2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
    2000-2003 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe
    2001-2003 Chevrolet Silverado
    2002-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche
    2000-2003 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL
    2001-2003 GMC Sierra
    with 4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L or 6.0L V8 Engine (VINs V, T, Z, G, S, N, U - RPOs LR4, LM7, L59, LS1, LS6, LQ9, LQ4)

Condition

Some customers may comment on an engine tick noise. The distinguishing characteristic of this condition is that it likely will have been present since new, and is typically noticed within the first 161-322 km (100-200 mi). The noise may often be diagnosed as a collapsed lifter. Additionally, the noise may be present at cold start and appear to diminish and then return as the engine warms to operating temperature. This noise is different from other noises that may begin to occur at 3219-4828 km (2000-3000 mi).

Cause

The 0-ring seal between the oil pump screen and the oil pump may be cut, causing aeration of the oil.

Correction

Inspect the 0-ring seal and replace as necessary. Use the applicable part number listed below. Refer to the Engine Mechanical sub-section of the appropriate Service Manual.

i've not yet done this, i was gonna wait til i was due for an oil change again, when i do, ill post the outcome

red
    2001 ss camaro

wow i just listened sound like a rod or cam bearing possibly..

White
    1998 Trans Am

Ya, this post has some age to it... He all ready tore the motor down and found spun rod bearings...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information