Black
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Thumpr comp cams

Been stickn a little money into the car and wana do a cam swap car isnt a daily driver, like the way the thumpr cam sounds and heard it performed well on another forum. When doin the cam swap is it necessary to change any of the lifters or rockers or push rods or springs?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Springs are required with ANY cam.
    Pushrods are recommended.

Lifters require the heads to be removed, but the stockers are fairly decent.
    Rocker arms...I like stockers.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Dont pick a cam solely off of the sound cause the cam can make a difference between 500 to 1000 horsepower, ask guerrilavette he knows about that. Pick what is going to suit your needs the most and make what you are looking out of it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Quote Originally Posted by bluehawk2000 View Post
    Dont pick a cam solely off of the sound. Pick what is going to suit your needs the most and make what you are looking out of it.
    I agree with this statement but will add that there is nothing wrong with any of the Thumper Cam's from Comp. They do what their intended to do, which is add power and sound aggressive but still maintain good driveability.
    Best advice I can give is educate yourself as much as possible about Cams. then make a decision based off what the goals are for the car. And just for good measure remember these simple terms. For a street car... "Bigger is not always better it's just bigger" or "Sometimes Less is More".
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Black
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Ok thanks for the info, im getn a cam that will add power and sound good at the same time i was also lookn at the tourqer v.2

Orange
    1999 Camaro

I have a thumpr cam in my 99 ls1 camaro and can't complain at all. It gives you great performance gains. The car dynoed at 403 rear wheel horse and 390 ft-lbs of torque. The torque curve is high and flat and carries through the entire rpm range. The aggressive sound is a plus as well! Let me know if you want to know more.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Quote Originally Posted by rchops33 View Post
    I have a thumpr cam in my 99 ls1 camaro and can't complain at all. It gives you great performance gains. The car dynoed at 403 rear wheel horse and 390 ft-lbs of torque. The torque curve is high and flat and carries through the entire rpm range. The aggressive sound is a plus as well! Let me know if you want to know more.
    So we can get some more info which Thumper are you running and with what supporting mods ?

Thumper / Comp Cams THUMPR Hydraulic Roller Cam 219/233 .553/.536 109 LSA High performance street, stock converter ok, best with 2000 converter & gears, choppy and thumping idle.Rpm range from 2000 to 6400.

Mutha Thumper / Comp Cams MUTHA' THUMPR Hydraulic Roller Cam 227/241 .563/.546 109 LSA, High performance street/strip, needs 9:1 CR, 2500 stall, intake, gears, and headers, rough idle. RPM range from 2300 to 6600.

Big Mutha Thumper / Comp Cams BIG MUTHA' THUMPR Hydraulic Roller Cam 235/249 .573/.558 109 LSA, Street/strip, needs 9.5:1 CR , 2800 stall, intake, gears, & headers, very rough idle. RPM range from 2600 to 6800.

Orange
    1999 Camaro

I'm running the smaller cam:

Thumper / Comp Cams THUMPR Hydraulic Roller Cam 219/233 .553/.536 109 LSA High performance street, stock converter ok, best with 2000 converter & gears, choppy and thumping idle.Rpm range from 2000 to 6400.

Here is a list of mods:
    -ported and polished stock heads
    -new springs, lifters, pushrods and timing chain from Comp Cams
    -FAST intake manifold with FAST 92 mm throttle body
    -longtube Pacesetter Headers
    -Magnaflow exhaust with ORY pipe and no converters
    -K & N air intake
    -4.10 gears with Eaton posi (it's an M6 car)

Here is what I left stock because the funds weren't there anymore!
    -stock rocker arms
    -stock oil pump

I actually just started a new thread on the fuel injectors and fuel pump. I've found that I'll definitely have to upgrade the injectors but can't find anything on the fuel pump. I'm not sure if the stock pump can handle that much power.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Quote Originally Posted by rchops33 View Post
    I'm running the smaller cam:

Here is a list of mods:
    -ported and polished stock heads
    -new springs, lifters, pushrods and timing chain from Comp Cams
    -FAST intake manifold with FAST 92 mm throttle body
    -longtube Pacesetter Headers
    -Magnaflow exhaust with ORY pipe and no converters
    -K & N air intake
    -4.10 gears with Eaton posi (it's an M6 car)

Here is what I left stock because the funds weren't there anymore!
    -stock rocker arms
    -stock oil pump

I actually just started a new thread on the fuel injectors and fuel pump. I've found that I'll definitely have to upgrade the injectors but can't find anything on the fuel pump. I'm not sure if the stock pump can handle that much power.
    Nice I was curous why the dyno numbers seemed so high with the base thumper cam but your ported heads and FAST intake setup is definetely helping in that respect.
    I've been looking at these Cams alot so I'm curious, How is the drivability with the Cam ? any low rpm surge problems ?

As far as the Fuel pump, people I know have had good luck with the Walbro's.

Orange
    1999 Camaro

The driveability is great. It pulls hard in all gears and at any rpm. Gas mileage is roughly 18 MPG, which is phenomenol in my mind and an added bonus. Oil pressure is held constant as well. I use the car as a daily driver in the summer and fall, pretty much pounding it every chance I get. The only problem I have is when I try to start the car when it's real cold outside. The car will start and have a little trouble finding it's idle. It'll drop in rpm, act like it wants to die but regain itself. Once the car and computer warm up, it stablilizes itself out and runs fine. I believe it could be due to the tune, vaccuum or the aggressiveness of the cam, I'm not too concerned with that at this point. Initially I was concerned with the vaccuum, but I have plenty to hold full braking power, etc. I've put about 3000 miles on the cam and haven't had the car die on me at any point.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

The Colds start issue is probably tune related like you said but sounds like it's not a huge problem. I appreciate the honest and thorough description, a lot of people aren't always forthcoming on some of the quirks related to cammed setups. After my 9" and new clutch this will be my next modification, Your info has been very helpfull thanks again.

Orange
    1999 Camaro

No problem, i'm glad i can help someone out. I'm also going to email you my hp & torque curve so you get an idea of what it looks like. Let me know if you have any other questions and good luck.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

PM sent

BTW I'm assuming you went with 918 valve springs correct ?

Thanks again

Orange
    1999 Camaro

Yes, 918 springs.

Black
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

You have any videos of the cam at idle? Do you have headers and exhaust done?

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Quote Originally Posted by 99LS1 View Post
    Hers a Thumper Vid, this was posted over on Tech
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJh-KRENBm0&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Orange
    1999 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 99LS1 View Post
    I attempted to take a video today and will try to post it. It's in the garage so a lot of noise is just vibrating off the walls. I have longtube pacesetter headers and a magnaflow exhaust.

Orange
    1999 Camaro

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inZUrhw3JjA[/ame]

the video quality is poor, but that's the best i could do. your best shot at hearing the cam is around the 2-2:30 minute mark. i had trouble find a spot where i can isolate the sound from the cam from the FAST intake and exhaust. The car was started for the first time in a few months on a 15 degree Buffalo day.

One thing that could be added to the thumpr cam is a set of rhoads lifters to reduce duration to make it more friendly and increase vacuum by atleast 5Hg...and it could help increase MPG.

Thread Information