Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thoughts on First mods to High mileage 01 Z28

This is a discussion on Thoughts on First mods to High mileage 01 Z28 within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by BADASS2000SS Nice to see someone else acts like Dr. Crash and I do! Is someone a little ...

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by BADASS2000SS View Post
    Nice to see someone else acts like Dr. Crash and I do!
    Is someone a little jelous? Maybe if you were around more often i wouldnt have to go looking other places

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Danger731 View Post
    GM High Tech Performance (last month) has a write up on wakin up a tired LS1. The mentioned roller 1.8's ....
    I just dont think that the gains are great enough to put out that kind of money. Atleast not untill you do some other crap first. I am kind of stock and run the stock rockers with no problems. i would def do Lt's first like LT.Badass said.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Some one correct me if I am wrong, but should't his first mod be LT headers! I would think he would gain the most from them, expecially being that he is going to to do all those other mods also.
    no sir, you are right

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Danger731 View Post
    GM High Tech Performance (last month) has a write up on wakin up a tired LS1. The mentioned roller 1.8's ....
    click on my link if you intend to put on a cam you put on 1.7's still gets you power and they work better w/ cams than a 1.8 does.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Actually, I am going to respectively disagree on this. EWP has shown to help out quite a bit. Will it add as much power as LT's........no, but when squeezing every bit of power out it helps. That and running the motor much cooler which increases engine life.
    Yes when you are like dr.crash and have a stroker pushing as much power as your going to get out of the motor then yes water pump is great, until then for us beginners who are going to be lagging a few years $600 will get him a cam springs and even a timing chain, and he won't need to replace that motor whenever that time comes.
    For me if I was going to track it just take off the belt before you make a pass and slap it on in a hurry after your done

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Some one correct me if I am wrong, but should't his first mod be LT headers! I would think he would gain the most from them, expecially being that he is going to to do all those other mods also.
    I vaguely recommended headers in the first post!
    Kind of funny actually you have cam and heads and are still running shorties, think of all the power your missing

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    click on my link if you intend to put on a cam you put on 1.7's still gets you power and they work better w/ cams than a 1.8 does.

Yes when you are like dr.crash and have a stroker pushing as much power as your going to get out of the motor then yes water pump is great, until then for us beginners who are going to be lagging a few years $600 will get him a cam springs and even a timing chain, and he won't need to replace that motor whenever that time comes.
    For me if I was going to track it just take off the belt before you make a pass and slap it on in a hurry after your done
    i just dont think the HP per dollar is there. im gunna save my pennys for an APS TT system. at that point i dont think the waterpump gains will matter

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    i just dont think the HP per dollar is there. im gunna save my pennys for an APS TT system. at that point i dont think the waterpump gains will matter
    You still have a 9" YOU NEED TO SAVE UP FOR FIRST! Crap give some of us time to catch up will you-sheesh.

515 HP TrickFlow Package BADASS2000SS's Avatar

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

Is someone a little jelous? Maybe if you were around more often i wouldnt have to go looking other places
    Hey, I posted on 12 threads yesterday at five in the morning! I am making a small come back!

no sir, you are right

I think that is a first....we agreed in a thread on a topic! Whoooooo Hoooooo.

I vaguely recommended headers in the first post!
    Kind of funny actually you have cam and heads and are still running shorties, think of all the power your missing
    Yeah I know....I look at the Kooks box everyday I go out to work thru the garage. I just bought a house two weeks ago and just got moved in. I am waiting a few months just to get all my new house bill paid off. Hopefully they will be on by July if I can.
    2000 SLP Camaro SS M6 * 515 HP TrickFlow Package * FAST 92 MM Intake * Nick Williams 92 MM TB * Volant CAI * Granatelli MAF * Full Custom True Dual Exhaust with X-Pipe * Tuned by Breathless Performance

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Hey, I posted on 12 threads yesterday at five in the morning! I am making a small come back!

I think that is a first....we agreed in a thread on a topic! Whoooooo Hoooooo.

Yeah I know....I look at the Kooks box everyday I go out to work thru the garage. I just bought a house two weeks ago and just got moved in. I am waiting a few months just to get all my new house bill paid off. Hopefully they will be on by July if I can.

i knew we could agree on something

And wait.....

you dont do your own installs?

Stock
    2002 Camaro

You still have a 9" YOU NEED TO SAVE UP FOR FIRST! Crap give some of us time to catch up will you-sheesh.
    ya those are over rated

SOM
    2002 SS

Thanks guys for the input. I spoke to a local shoppe who is highly regarded in my area and he echoed some of your advice. Go with 1.7 roller rockers, BUT a cam is a much better investment. He said if I want to go aggressive with a cam later then roller rockers are a must-do mod as the valvetrain geometry gets ruined with high lift cams and the stock rockers.

Having said that, switching 1.7 stock rockers for 1.7 rrs doesn't sound like a good hp/$ investment. I'll most likely start looking for long tubes and probably a custom exhaust made with a brand name mufflers and have him reuse the stock tips unless I can find a 97ss like double drivers side exit muffler/pipes.

SO as of now the mods list begins...

1) Long tube Headers + full exhaust (plugs/wires while that is being done)
    2) LId + K&N filter

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Thanks guys for the input. I spoke to a local shoppe who is highly regarded in my area and he echoed some of your advice. Go with 1.7 roller rockers, BUT a cam is a much better investment. He said if I want to go aggressive with a cam later then roller rockers are a must-do mod as the valvetrain geometry gets ruined with high lift cams and the stock rockers.

Having said that, switching 1.7 stock rockers for 1.7 rrs doesn't sound like a good hp/$ investment. I'll most likely start looking for long tubes and probably a custom exhaust made with a brand name mufflers and have him reuse the stock tips unless I can find a 97ss like double drivers side exit muffler/pipes.

SO as of now the mods list begins...

1) Long tube Headers + full exhaust (plugs/wires while that is being done)
    2) LId + K&N filter

Nice job man! Your car is going to tear it up and sound badass at the same time! LT's and a CAI are the best first mods you can do!

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

i knew we could agree on something

And wait.....

you dont do your own installs?
    The only thing I did not do on my own was the H/C/I install and tune! I would do the LT's if they were bolt on but I had a custom true duals made so they will need to be welded in.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

You had to pull out the responsable card didn't you? bastard

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

You had to pull out the responsable card didn't you? bastard
    Sorry, not sure what I was thinking!

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

ya those are over rated
    You can be like my ws6 and never go from a dig.
    I'll race you to 65mph

Stock
    2002 Camaro

You can be like my ws6 and never go from a dig.
    I'll race you to 65mph
    il just start in second oh shit having a hard time tuning my car. have a misfire on the drivers side. sucks. and ill still whop your ass. hahaha

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

il just start in second oh shit having a hard time tuning my car. have a misfire on the drivers side. sucks. and ill still whop your ass. hahaha
    Hey as long as you don't mind rebuilding it after your done
    I know the perfect place to race-dixon mayfair parade plenty of people to watch you win and plenty of witnesses

Stock
    2002 Camaro

I know the perfect place to race-dixon mayfair parade plenty of people to watch you win and plenty of witnesses
    its not that bad. just making it run a little rich.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

isnt it past your bed time?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information