Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thinking about stroker? opinions suggestions?

This is a discussion on Thinking about stroker? opinions suggestions? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by CamaroFan71 Get an LSX block. You can get them for a couple of grand and those blocks ...

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroFan71 View Post
    Get an LSX block. You can get them for a couple of grand and those blocks will handle anything.
    sounds like someone who read a couple of articles... that's JUST the block. don't mean to sound like a dick.. but that's almost 4 times the cost of a L92 iron block. and the LSx is iron also.

agreed, unlimited budget and time i'd buy one.. but not many of us here have that luxury

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Don't forget you will want a machine shop to work over any block before you do a rebuild (at least I would). So the major price difference between a 383 and a 408 is the cost of an LQ9 block (700). Though it is alot of money, in the over all scheme of doing a rebuild like this it is not that bad. You also get alot of benefits, and if you are going to do all the work of making a stroker you might as well do it once and get more out of it.

Personally, I am building up all the rest of my car first before I start putting a new motor in (rearend etc first). Might as well get all the miles I can out of the stock bottom end, not to mention when I have the new engine in I will not have to worry about quite as much.

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
    Don't forget you will want a machine shop to work over any block before you do a rebuild (at least I would). So the major price difference between a 383 and a 408 is the cost of an LQ9 block (700). Though it is alot of money, in the over all scheme of doing a rebuild like this it is not that bad. You also get alot of benefits, and if you are going to do all the work of making a stroker you might as well do it once and get more out of it.

Personally, I am building up all the rest of my car first before I start putting a new motor in (rearend etc first). Might as well get all the miles I can out of the stock bottom end, not to mention when I have the new engine in I will not have to worry about quite as much.
    I'm doing the same thing.. i just want to be ready when it dies LoL. I've done a lot of suspension work. and plan to add a rear end. ( already have a spare 10 bolt) So if i start making more money I might just pick up an LQ9... this tread has pretty much confirmed my thoughts that a 383 stroker isn't really the way to go.

427 stroker kit

427 stroker kit; get the entire rotating assembly. Get as long a rod as possible for the greatesrt rod to stroke ratio; e.g. 6.125" (rod) / 4.00" (Stroke) = 1.53 ratio MINIMAL.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by stevenm357 View Post
    sounds like someone who read a couple of articles... that's JUST the block. don't mean to sound like a dick.. but that's almost 4 times the cost of a L92 iron block. and the LSx is iron also.

agreed, unlimited budget and time i'd buy one.. but not many of us here have that luxury
    60 lbs more... but atleast it has a better chance of being rebuilt if something goes wrong... aluminum blocks look like a hand grenade blew up inside of them when something breaks...

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

Thats why I said "LSX block" and didnt mention internals. If he has the liberty to buy now and piece it together its a better insurance policy for future repairs if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    60 lbs more... but atleast it has a better chance of being rebuilt if something goes wrong... aluminum blocks look like a hand grenade blew up inside of them when something breaks...
    Thanks for helping get the LSX point across.

Prepping any used block correctly is always at least $1000, plus the cost of the block; LSX blocks are $2K from Summit, good to 2500hp.

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroFan71 View Post
    Thats why I said "LSX block" and didnt mention internals. If he has the liberty to buy now and piece it together its a better insurance policy for future repairs if needed.

Thanks for helping get the LSX point across.

torch red
    99 c5

i have a 408 with a set of trick flow heads and a 580 lift cam i only made 440 at the tires with shorty headers, a polished wiend intake and a stock throttle body

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

With what you have that isnt bad frankly.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by c5andtyphoon View Post
    i have a 408 with a set of trick flow heads and a 580 lift cam i only made 440 at the tires with shorty headers, a polished wiend intake and a stock throttle body
    not bad... get rid of that weiland intake and shorty headers if you can... i've seen shorty headerse become more restrictive thans stock manifolds at high rpms on lt1's... i'm not sure aobut ls1's... but either way long tubes are the way to go... them weiland intakes are aluminum??? get a composite intake... either fast or a ls6...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

x2 ..not to mention the hp to weight ratio possibility is far greater with a lsx then any other aluminum block

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

not bad... get rid of that weiland intake and shorty headers if you can... i've seen shorty headerse become more restrictive thans stock manifolds at high rpms on lt1's... i'm not sure aobut ls1's... but either way long tubes are the way to go... them weiland intakes are aluminum??? get a composite intake... either fast or a ls6...
    Your choking the crap out of that engine a 75MM throttle body and Shorty headers... a fast 90/90 setup and a set of long tubes will pick up probabally 30 if not 50 hp.

sorry boys I'm not buying a 2000+ dollar block. i asked about going to a 383... most of you think it's a great idea because it's what YOU would do IF YOU had the money. i don't have that kind of money and if i DID i would spent it smarter.

98' trans am

Your choking the crap out of that engine a 75MM throttle body and Shorty headers... a fast 90/90 setup and a set of long tubes will pick up probabally 30 if not 50 hp.

sorry boys I'm not buying a 2000+ dollar block. i asked about going to a 383... most of you think it's a great idea because it's what YOU would do IF YOU had the money. i don't have that kind of money and if i DID i would spent it smarter.
    if i had the money for a proper 383..i would do a 408

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by strracer09 View Post
    im running a 90/90 setup a 600 lift cam and a set of AFR 225s with a 383 it made 623rwhp should do allright withthe right head and tune
    you must have some of that V-TAC!

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

exactly... i ahve the money... but do i ditch the set up i got now that is working out perfectly??? nay... i save to expand on it when i deem fit...

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

No one is saying YOU HAVE to buy what was mentioned. YOU opened a thread and asked for advice, so thats what people are giving. But that aside, build a decent 408.

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

I have 155,000 miles on my car the tranny needs rebuilt So i was thinking winter project and doing some more stuff to it also

I have a TSP Torquer V 2 cam and am looking into a good set of heads.

Would a 383 stroker help this... how much of a HP gain will i see adding a 383 stroker to the head and cam car?

How much different of a cam will I need if I stroke it. I've seen larger stoker kits but looking to those experienced to see where i should go.

I want to stay naturally aspirated in this car. I already have full bolt ons. ( except intake and that's coming soon) Below is a list of what i have

Thanks guys.

Volant intake, SLP Bellows. ( plan on FAST intake probabally 92/92) currently P&P throttle body, Fridanza light weight fly wheel. Torquer V 2 cam ready to install. It's a 6 speed.

suspension.. well double rod end LCA's panhard, koni's over strano springs and sway bars. so that's not a big worry right now i have sub frames to install if/when needed.

Thanks again.
    That's actually what i asked.. it has nothing to do with a 402 stoker, buying a new block or anything. not to mention it took months to get a response.

I'm very thankful for the folks who answer questions here but it seems like more and more people read the last 2 posts and jump in agreeing.

so.. NO unless i hit the lottery there won't be a 40X stoker in the car for quite some time.

my question has been answered that it would not really be beneficial to put a 383 stoker in this engine...

Just spray it w/a 175hp shot until it heaves

Just spray it w/a 175hp shot until it heaves and then get another stock LS1 and do the same..... It's a lot chaeper, just time consuming.

98' trans am

That's actually what i asked.. it has nothing to do with a 402 stoker, buying a new block or anything. not to mention it took months to get a response.

I'm very thankful for the folks who answer questions here but it seems like more and more people read the last 2 posts and jump in agreeing.

so.. NO unless i hit the lottery there won't be a 40X stoker in the car for quite some time.

my question has been answered that it would not really be beneficial to put a 383 stoker in this engine...
    the reason being is that the cost of a properly built 383..will be damn close if not the same of a 40x build..so it is pointless to build a 383..the right way....you could save tons of money cutting corners..but then you pretty much have a hand grenade spinning without its pin at 4k

11 second club!!

Red
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    so is replacing your block. need to pay to play...in general..when going a cheap route you will regret it down the road
    He doesn't need to replace his block to go 383ci.. But even that stroker kit is exspensive if you go with all the right parts..
    Last edited by odarabla; 09-25-2008 at 01:45 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information