Red
    2001 Trash Can

Think I messed up?

For some reason I don't remember bolting the pickup tube to my oil pump...? I'm debating weather or not to rip the front cover off before first start up. Motor is back in the car and it is gonna be a pia to remove the cover again, but I think It'd be best just to check. Anyone know what size the bolt is? I think its 8mm with a 10mm head? I just don't remember bolting it back in

White
    1998 Trans Am

You'd almost have to bolt it in first before you bolted the bracket to the windage tray. But if your in doubt, I'd pull the cover & look !

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    You'd almost have to bolt it in first before you bolted the bracket to the windage tray. But if your in doubt, I'd pull the cover & look !
    I didn't take the pickup and windage tray apart, but I torqued the oil pan down, put in the cam, retainer, oil pump and I just don't remember putting the pickup tube bolt back in! This sucks balls.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Got ya... It's a bitch to do from the front cover, but it can be done, and you would remember doing that....
    Did you end up with an extra bolt at the end ?

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I would double check, its a PITA but on the same token you will be sorry if you didnt...
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    Got ya... It's a bitch to do from the front cover, but it can be done, and you would remember doing that....
    Did you end up with an extra bolt at the end ?
    No, I don't know where the bolt is or looks like. The shortblock I bought came with pickup, but no pump or bolt and I was gonna recycle the bolt from the old pickup tube. What size is it agian.

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    I would double check, its a PITA but on the same token you will be sorry if you didnt...
    J
    Yea, now that I think about it I'm pretty sure I forgot to do it...

My Neighbors Hate Me!!! lvbroham1's Avatar

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

Im pretty sure it's a 10mm. Here's a pic of it. Attachment 18155

black
    2000 camaro ss

it is a 10mm and im sure if you put it in you would remember it (its a bitch). lol man tear her back apart.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Shitty! I bet you wont do that again!

If the standard offset angle of a snap-on wrench doent work for you, go out and buy a 10mm RATCHETING "FLEX HEAD" wrench. That will make it a whole lot easier for that bolt. You know you at least have to check!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yep, gotta tear it apart and check. That sucks. Is it completely back together? Water pump and all? I didn't have a single problem with that bolt doing it with it in the car when I did my cam swap but I know lots of people do and I can definitely see why. I just got lucky on mine and it threaded right up and went in without a problem. I put a rag in the oil pan to keep the bolt from rolling into the oil pan in case I dropped it. I forgot to remove that rag but I caught it before getting the pump on. That would've been bad. I've seen what happens when a rag gets left in there....it's ugly so if you use a rag in the oil pan make sure you take it out.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Dont feel bad. I dropped a washer on top of my intake valve when doing my FAST 92/92 install. By the grace of anti-christ, I went looking in all the chambers to look at the CNC job. Well by gollie, WTF is that sitting there?!?!?!?! A damn steel washer!!!

We all do silly things when in a hurry. Welcome to the club. I would rather have your problem then the problems/mods that await me.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

I'm gonna drop the motor back out and pull the front cover off. The front accessories are off and I only have the k member bolted in so 3 bolts arent a huge deal to undo to have it out of the car. I'll have pics of the whole rebuild process but I basically did everything with a cherry picker, engine stand, and a 3 drawer tool box (Craftsmen cause I can't afford Snap on, Matco, etc), and my uncle gave me an old air compressor so for the last part of the build I had air tools. I dropped the motor, tranny, and k member out the bottom and it was actually surprisingly easy I guess in worrying about all that stuff I forgot one little thing!!!

Thread Information