Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thermsotat Questions, MRR23, Orion, Frost???

This is a discussion on Thermsotat Questions, MRR23, Orion, Frost??? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by kool-aide ok, the Motorad site showed a pic of the stat and housing as one unit, like ...

Quote Originally Posted by kool-aide View Post
    ok, the Motorad site showed a pic of the stat and housing as one unit, like i would expect.

I'm trying to search Mr Gasket, but all i found so far is there fancy water neck housings. I see some LS1 thermostats on ebay, one happens to be Mr Gasket Part No 6367, but i'm not taking some ebay sellers word for it.
    Yes that is the correct part number for a 160 stat LS1 application from Mr. Gasket. It's simply a thermostat, you have to swap it from the housing,,,,,$12 listed in the summit catalog,,,it's what I have in my hand as we speak.

Update,,,finally got a break from the shop and played with mine a little.

I pulled out the original thermostat/housing I have been keeping on the shelf and compared to this new Mr. Gasket stat.

There is a difference in diameter of the thermostat and will not fit inside the LS1 housing.

Although this has LS1 written all over it,,,and every catalog I have checked lists this part number as an LS1 thermostat,,,,,It's clearly for a different application.

It's too bad,,,as things were looking good. It actually has the operating temp stamped on the stat,,,,160* Which is a good thing,,,,just like the old school thermostats have on them. So I had my hopes up that it would actually work in this temp range.

Guess the search continues for something more suitable.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I looked up the write up on modding the stock t-stat that's here in a book I have. They used an 1/8" brass ferule and filed it to .090" and that opened the stat at 168. If you played with it I'm sure you could get it to open up where you want it. I personally think that if I can keep the car in the 170's that's fine with me.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Update,,,finally got a break from the shop and played with mine a little.

I pulled out the original thermostat/housing I have been keeping on the shelf and compared to this new Mr. Gasket stat.

There is a difference in diameter of the thermostat and will not fit inside the LS1 housing.

Although this has LS1 written all over it,,,and every catalog I have checked lists this part number as an LS1 thermostat,,,,,It's clearly for a different application.

It's too bad,,,as things were looking good. It actually has the operating temp stamped on the stat,,,,160* Which is a good thing,,,,just like the old school thermostats have on them. So I had my hopes up that it would actually work in this temp range.

Guess the search continues for something more suitable.

Man...bummer...Well at least someone on this thread mentioned you can separate the stat from the housing. I'm just iching to put that extra dex-cool to use. Wally world was being a pain about no returns without a receipt, and I just can't stand watching the bottles sit on my shelf.

I hope to see if any one can figure out the right part number for the stat.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I looked up the write up on modding the stock t-stat that's here in a book I have. They used an 1/8" brass ferule and filed it to .090" and that opened the stat at 168. If you played with it I'm sure you could get it to open up where you want it. I personally think that if I can keep the car in the 170's that's fine with me.
    They filed it to .090??? So are you saying that they made the ferule smaller??? I thought the idea was to space it bigger for a cooler temp????

Am I thinking wrong? I do remember reading that you can only go so far before the stats don't operate properly.

I may take mine back apart and have a look,,,because on the laptop it doesn't start to open until around 173 and fully opens around 176 roughly. I can't keep the car in the 170's this way. It likes to stay around 180 or higher, mainly because I cannot set the fans any lower due to the thermostat.

I may play with my original, modify it, and put it in some hot water on the stove with a probe and carefully watch it.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yup, the ferule is filed down to .090. I'm not sure what it starts out at. I'm gonna scan that article in tonight and post it up for you. It said that 168 was the lowest you could go on a stock stat and have it close all the way. I'll scan it later tonight for you.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    yup, the ferule is filed down to .090. I'm not sure what it starts out at. I'm gonna scan that article in tonight and post it up for you. It said that 168 was the lowest you could go on a stock stat and have it close all the way. I'll scan it later tonight for you.
    Thanks Orion,,I have a ton of 1/8" ferule's (compression fittings) I can mic one and see how tall they are.

I wan't to experiment with my original stat and see what I can do with it,,,,looking forward to the article. Thanks again

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Summit Racing lists the Mr Gasket stat, 6367, for LS1 engines, but only 2003-2004 for Chevy. Did they use a different housing on the LS1s over the years?

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

It likes to stay around 180 or higher, mainly because I cannot set the fans any lower due to the thermostat.
    you can set the fans operating temps to whatever you want. has nothing to do with the t-stat. i have mine coming on at 170* and shutting off at 155*. so, once they are on, they stay on. this is why my temps stay in the 170* range. once the t-stat is closed, the fans continue to run to pull more heat out of the radiator. this makes the water cooler going into the motor.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Why does the car NEED to run cooler than 170s? That's about 50 degrees cooler than OE intention anyway. There is no evidence to support any kind of power being made from the further drop, so I don't exactly see what the issue is I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    you can set the fans operating temps to whatever you want. has nothing to do with the t-stat. i have mine coming on at 170* and shutting off at 155*. so, once they are on, they stay on. this is why my temps stay in the 170* range. once the t-stat is closed, the fans continue to run to pull more heat out of the radiator. this makes the water cooler going into the motor.
    If I set the fans cooler,,,,they never shut off. I'm not sure they were mean't for a continuous duty cycle like that.

I just prefer my fans to shut off once the car is moving and getting sufficient airflow,,,thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by kool-aide View Post
    Summit Racing lists the Mr Gasket stat, 6367, for LS1 engines, but only 2003-2004 for Chevy. Did they use a different housing on the LS1s over the years?
    Yes evidently they do,,,it seems to be the case. That part number you list is the exact thermostat I have in my posession. it's definately not an LS1 thermostat as it is listed.

It's not even close to fitting inside the housing,,,the diameter is twice the size.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Why does the car NEED to run cooler than 170s? That's about 50 degrees cooler than OE intention anyway. There is no evidence to support any kind of power being made from the further drop, so I don't exactly see what the issue is I guess.
    Well I guess it's just me but I have a problem with a thermostat that is advertised to run at 160 and doesn't even come close.

I would like the car to run a little cooler. Not looking for power, just piece of mind. I will soon be moving to Arizona and would like to have this thing running as cool as I can.

The way it is now,,,with the stat fully open around 176 degrees it simply won't run cooler,,,so I have the fans on at 185 and off at 180,,,so they only cycle while in traffic,,,,but sometimes they never shut off at all on very hot days, especially running the A/C when temps are in the mid 90's.

My LT1 on the other hand,,,,has a 160 stat,,,and I have those fans on at 176 and off at 170,,,,,it's perfect. The fans hardly run,,the engine stays right at 165-166 degrees most of the time because the stat works as intended. Thats a solid 10 degrees difference from my LS1.

Thats what I would like to shoot for,,,but unfortunately I have not found a stat for the LS1 yet that actually works like this. Would be nice if someone would step up to the plate and redesign this thing so we are not stuck putting compression fittings in them....

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

If I set the fans cooler,,,,they never shut off. I'm not sure they were mean't for a continuous duty cycle like that.

I just prefer my fans to shut off once the car is moving and getting sufficient airflow,,,thats all.
    remember, they do have a shut off of 35 mph. look at your fan setttings.

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    remember, they do have a shut off of 35 mph. look at your fan setttings.
    Where do you see that,,,,,mine doesn't say that anywhere that I am aware of???

Nevermind man, I found it,,,lol. Unfortunately that MPH switch on/off table only works when the A/C is on.......

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

Nevermind man, I found it,,,lol. Unfortunately that MPH switch on/off table only works when the A/C is on.......
    well, crap.

Pewter
    2002 Trans am WS6 T-top

Iam going out on a limb here, but why not get the lowest advertised thermostat and use a water wetter adder or just use the Evans chemical.
    Besides, isnt manitory to use Evans on resleeved oem ls1 blocks. Just throwning out another side to it.

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

When you turn on the A/C it turns on the other fan.. you have 2 fans in the F-body one for the radiator and the other For A/C operation..

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

not true. i have both fans going without the AC being on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information