Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

T-Rex cam HELP

This is a discussion on T-Rex cam HELP within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by SSwt00SS Bullet, you are still going to need gears to run that big of a cam... and ...

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    Bullet, you are still going to need gears to run that big of a cam...
    and I thought the gears upgrade is not necessary for the cam mod? or you mean it would be nice to kick in better gears in, meaning optional?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Please don't take this wrong way.

But I have heard that before.
    Then 2-3 years down the road the TREX car is still getting slower ET's than the TSP 228 cammed car.

That make sense? That cam is extreme. That is more than I would EVER run in a stock cubed LS1 unless I was trying to prove I could be a low 11 second 'cam only' car.
    But those fast 'cam only' cars have EVERYTHING else done. Rearend, suspension, slicks, etc...

There are stock cubed LS1's that will beat me with H/C. I am perfectly fine with that. I have a driveable car, they have a strip car.

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    and I thought the gears upgrade is not necessary for the cam mod? or you mean it would be nice to kick in better gears in, meaning optional?
    In order to use the shorter powerband of the larger cams gears are basicly a need.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Please don't take this wrong way.

But I have heard that before.
    Then 2-3 years down the road the TREX car is still getting slower ET's than the TSP 228 cammed car.

That make sense? That cam is extreme. That is more than I would EVER run in a stock cubed LS1 unless I was trying to prove I could be a low 11 second 'cam only' car.
    But those fast 'cam only' cars have EVERYTHING else done. Rearend, suspension, slicks, etc...

There are stock cubed LS1's that will beat me with H/C. I am perfectly fine with that. I have a driveable car, they have a strip car.

In order to use the shorter powerband of the larger cams gears are basicly a need.
    +1 I agree Lous man

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

because the T-Rex is a peak power cam, he's going to need to run a deep gear to get the car off idle and through the lower RPM band easier so that when the engine finally reaches the powerband for that cam, he can stay in the powerband when running at those high RPM's...

im sorry but i have to agree w/Mr. Luos, doing a cam only and supporting mods, but no gears, just makes that cam to much to handle and have fun driving, unless you care to drive around 5000rpm all the time to be able to have the HP/TQ on tap to play around...

basically without gears, the car will be flat on it's face until the high RPM's...

yeah that sounds reasonable... interesting ideas exhange.

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    Bullet, you are still going to need gears to run that big of a cam...
    they didnt say anything about that so im not sure if thats really a must

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by BULLET_WS6 View Post
    they didnt say anything about that so im not sure if thats really a must
    It isn't a must.
    But it is a need to get anything out of that cam.

Silver

mannn i dont know.. the guy i talked to said they have done the install a few times on cars like mine and he said they are just fine and driveable.. they are very good at tuning..

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

With a good tune, it will be driveable. That isn't the problem.

The power won't kick in until late in the powerband with a huge cam.
    Without gears, you may fall out of it at every shift.
    Without being able to launch from 5,000 RPM's....you will be a dog down low.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Let's see if this helps a little bit.
    Look at when the power really picks on these graphs.

Red is stock LS1, catback and lid.
    Blue is bolt-ons with a small 226/234 554/575 112. Notice how the powerband really pulls away after 4500 RPM's? Larger duration. Torque curve was nice with that cam though.
    Green is the 402 a while back. 248/254 629/622 113. Notice how even with the cubes the power is basicly the same until about 3,000 RPM's?? Big cam does that. Cam would come on even later if it had less cubes.

Bullet/ I say do the cam first and tune, then take a video reving 40 to 100... then put in 4.1 gears and you'll see the diff, stronger lower band... I agree!

sorry a bit... Lous, how come only 467tq? what heads u got, cam spec you got? we're both on 402 block I think heads/cam can be what sets our in tq values apart... I am at 480tq

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Lous, how come only 467tq? what heads u got, cam spec you got?
    Some of it is the cam. Not a torquey cam. 248/254 629/622 113...Patriot Stage III LS6 heads (not my first choice, but got them at a very good price...and done very well with them)
    That is after the first round of tuning.
    Since seen 531/481....and still needs some tuning done since a couple minor things have changed.
    Should see 550/500 next year. I hope.

Some of it is the cam. Not a torquey cam. 248/254 629/622 113...Patriot Stage III LS6 heads (not my first choice, but got them at a very good price...and done very well with them)
    That is after the first round of tuning.
    Since seen 531/481....and still needs some tuning done since a couple minor things have changed.
    Should see 550/500 next year. I hope.
    woot! 500 yeah! what's ya next move/mod(s) to get there or just twicking with the tunning more aggresively?

Silver

with all do respect... im not expecting anything crazy fast out of it... as i said i know i could go way faster with a smaller cam... but i want an extreme cam cuz i love the radical sound.. every argument yall have had against the cam seems to be about speed/power... and those are my two least concerns with this cam

with all do respect... im not expecting anything crazy fast out of it... as i said i know i could go way faster with a smaller cam... but i want an extreme cam cuz i love the radical sound.. every argument yall have had against the cam seems to be about speed/power... and those are my two least concerns with this cam
    go a bit smaller that TRex to keep it daily man. my 2 cents.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

but i want an extreme cam cuz i love the radical sound..
    Just disconnect a couple coils then.

DJ....porting the FAST 90 and playing around with the tune. Not going to go more aggressive, but I would like to tweak it with the minor changes that have been made.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

no offense taken. its that just goes against conventional thinking. everyone who wants this cam wants it because of speed/power. wanting it for sound but nothing else is what makes us...

offering up our opinions and suggestions, since a mean sounding cammed car can be achieved with smaller cams while being more user friendly is what we are wanting you to consider. we arent asking you to walk away from a T-Rex, rather just understand what quite possibly its going to take to get you something that you will be pleased with for the amount of money you will be dropping...

Thumbs up

Just disconnect a couple coils then.

DJ....porting the FAST 90 and playing around with the tune. Not going to go more aggressive, but I would like to tweak it with the minor changes that have been made.
    yeah Brian seems to gotten +5rhwp out of that... not a bad idea.
    Last edited by djvaly; 08-08-2007 at 02:00 PM.

Thumbs up

if it's just the sound you're after then I say get a Loudmouth catback,, they are pretty loud, or open headers

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information