CamaroSSx1999

switching from syn back to reg oil

want to switch back to reg. oil. isnt there anything i need to know before i do that? ive heard once u goto syn. u cant go back.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

That is what I have always heard. Why do you want to go back?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

That is absolute cow patty preaching....you can switch back and forth all you want.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

That is good to hear. Where you been Sarge?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Took Mama to town and bought her lunch...then she drug my poor old ass to the fucking Mall to buy shoes....but I did met the real Al Bundy....so that was sorta fun....he said his life sucked too

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Women are great! Gotta love em.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    That is absolute cow patty preaching....you can switch back and forth all you want.

CamaroSSx1999
    soit wont hurt any...b.c once i switched.. i got piston slap and i think its the syn. oil's too thin...

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

No, it won't hurt to switch. Too bad about the piston slap as I hear quite a few people have it. However, I've never had it on any of my LS1/6s.

BlackHawk T/A
    Just use a thicker Syn?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroSSx1999
    soit wont hurt any...b.c once i switched.. i got piston slap and i think its the syn. oil's too thin...
    As for viscosity is there is no difference between Dino and Synthetic. In other words...a 5-30 Dino is the same viscosity as a 5/30 Synthetic and vice versa...now granted cSt@100c and HTHS numbers range between various brands in both dino and synthetics.....but as stated above...If I replace a Dino 10-40 with a synthetic 10-40...I still have a 40 weight viscosity.....at op temps or 100c and a zero weight at 0c in both......Piston slap is not caused by oil viscosity in the LSX motors.... http://www.pistonslap.com/
    This is my signature. It is mine. Nobody else has one like it.

CamaroSSx1999
    well... i never had this problem til i switched to syn. so thats just y i thought it was the oil. i tried to find moible1 10-40 full syn. but on the bottle it didnt say full syn. like my 10-30... but i mixed alot of lucas oil stabilizer in it, just to make the weight alittle more, nothing else. as far as the piston slap goes... some have it, some dont. ive heard just as many w. it and ppl w.out. mines not bad really, sometimes it will do it on idle for 30 secs. most time just when i rev alil when the motors still cool and when the idle drops it does it. duno, guess i keep it unto it blows and buy a beater and later done the road buy another SS and have 2. just really pisses me off b/c ive taken care of it since ive owned it... oil change every 2k, and i had it about a year and few months, no problem with it, til now. just replaced PS pump and alternator tho. this car wasnt taken care of by past owners.....

CamaroSSx1999
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    As for viscosity is there is no difference between Dino and Synthetic. In other words...a 5-30 Dino is the same viscosity as a 5/30 Synthetic and vice versa...now granted cSt@100c and HTHS numbers range between various brands in both dino and synthetics.....but as stated above...If I replace a Dino 10-40 with a synthetic 10-40...I still have a 40 weight viscosity.....at op temps or 100c and a zero weight at 0c in both......Piston slap is not caused by oil viscosity in the LSX motors.... http://www.pistonslap.com/
    so theres no point into buying syn.?

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Synthetic is better than dino, obviously. Sarge was talking about the viscosity of each when new. Viscosity is only one element of motor oil.

CamaroSSx1999
    ok... then is all moible1 syn??? b.c i cant find 10-40w full syn. at wal mart. only 5-40w

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

OK...wait a minute.....I answered a "thickness/viscosity" question....yes there is a difference that in the past was huge between dino and synthetics...that gap has norrowed significantly...Synthetics have an additive pack that is superior in preventing rust/condensation/cold start wear etc. etc. that allowed for superior performance/protection and in daily bread getters...much longer oil change intervals as the additive pack allowed the oil to maintain its operating efficiencies much longer......What has happened is many of these additive packs are now found in Dino oils...hell Trop Artic 10-30 has a superior additive pack and excellent Used Oil Analysis...and can be had for $1.00....so if you go with a good dino like Havoline/Trop Artic/Pennzoil/Castrol and utilize a 3 month 3000 mile (many now go well into 5000 miles on dino)...you are not harming anything....the schoolf of thought...or should I say the concensus out there seems to be...my motor is my baby and she only gets the best and folks throw $7 per quart Amsoil in there and still change it out every 2-3K miles....I beloing to the later group myself

Thread Information