Supporting mods for H&C plus lifter Question

I'm wondering what the consensus is on feeding enough fuel and air to a set of heads and a new intermediate cam (about 228/288 .588/.588 114lsa)

My car is a 2002 so I already have the LS6 intake, but I was thinking at minimum I should upgrade to a factory style throttle body with a proper porting job done on it. And I'm sure lots of people out there have done this and can tell me the answer....do the factory injectors have the fuel flow capacity that I will need?

As for the MAF I'm thinking I should just leave it alone. I know there are lots of aftermarket parts out there, like big FAST intakes, larger TBs, larger MAFs etc. and I'm sure they exist for a reason but (correct me if I'm wrong) I'm currently thinking they won't show me much benefit for my current plans.

Just a quick question about lifters:
    I see a lot of engine places offering aftermarket lifters for LS1/LS6s.

Does anyone have a clear explanation of what after market lifters do for one of our engins, or in what applications upgrading from stock becomes beneficial (or necessary)?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidman View Post
    I'm wondering what the consensus is on feeding enough fuel and air to a set of heads and a new intermediate cam (about 228/288 .588/.588 114lsa)

My car is a 2002 so I already have the LS6 intake, but I was thinking at minimum I should upgrade to a factory style throttle body with a proper porting job done on it. And I'm sure lots of people out there have done this and can tell me the answer....do the factory injectors have the fuel flow capacity that I will need?

As for the MAF I'm thinking I should just leave it alone. I know there are lots of aftermarket parts out there, like big FAST intakes, larger TBs, larger MAFs etc. and I'm sure they exist for a reason but (correct me if I'm wrong) I'm currently thinking they won't show me much benefit for my current plans.

Just a quick question about lifters:
    I see a lot of engine places offering aftermarket lifters for LS1/LS6s.

Does anyone have a clear explanation of what after market lifters do for one of our engins, or in what applications upgrading from stock becomes beneficial (or necessary)?

well the best way to tell if you need new injectors is to either use one of the calculators online or to have someone with a tuner hook it up and see what your injectors are at..if they are maxing out or close to ..then it is time for new injectors.

a new bigger intake manifold would help you a great deal. on stock to bolt on cars they wont show a big difference ..but once you go H/C or even H ..the intake will really start to help your cam shine and get its full potential...there is a reason you see h/c/i a lot ....you need the intake along with the h and c.

our stock lifters are dated..it is wise to at least upgrade to the ls7 style lifters which are now the oem replacement for ls1 lifters. However keep in mind the ls7 lifters sit a little higher then the ls1s..so keep a eye on specs. a good aftermarket lifter can give you increased oil flow and decreased drag ..allowing for a smoother and more controlled and precise valve event.

imho if you are going to dig into the heads at all..go big or go home...but that is my philosophy for the entire engine too..i wont do cam until i have my heads..and the parts i want into those heads.

Thread Information