Thread: stroker kit.

White
    00 z28

stroker kit.

Anyone know where to get a stroker kit with the stock bore for an ls1? Everywhere i look all there are is kits for bigger bores. I was told that i need to by a stroker kit with a stock bore from what ive see through searches is that these do not exist.

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

347 is about the closest you're gonna get which is pretty damn close

WS6Store sells one.
    http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...13bcd70c0f510c
    Sorry thats all the info I can give you, I havnt heard anything about it. Most people running stroker motors are 383, 402 and a few 408.

White
    00 z28

Well maybe I am just uneducated on the subject. I know the stroke is the height of the cylinder and the bore is the diameter of the cylinder. what would have to be done if i wanted to increase the bore size of my car? buy a new block?

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

Quote Originally Posted by espskillz View Post
    Well maybe I am just uneducated on the subject. I know the stroke is the height of the cylinder and the bore is the diameter of the cylinder. what would have to be done if i wanted to increase the bore size of my car? buy a new block?
    No, a good shop could bore it out for you. No need for a new block.

White
    00 z28

Ok so that clears up some of the confusion thanks.

Also without anything to crazy what kind of hp gain range am i looking at?

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by TempleU_WS6 View Post
    No, a good shop could bore it out for you. No need for a new block.

Not much you can bore out an LS1 before you need to resleeve which is more expensive then it is worth.

You can find stroker kits from many different places. I know Texas Speed, and Thunder both have some listed on their websites. You should also call around and talk to different places. They usually will be happy to put something together for you, and might have better options then you can find on their website.

White
    00 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
    Not much you can bore out an LS1 before you need to resleeve which is more expensive then it is worth.

You can find stroker kits from many different places. I know Texas Speed, and Thunder both have some listed on their websites. You should also call around and talk to different places. They usually will be happy to put something together for you, and might have better options then you can find on their website.

So Im not looking to get much HP gain? or I cannot bore out an ls1 much?

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

So Im not looking to get much HP gain? or I cannot bore out an ls1 much?
    Not much that you can bore out an LS1 block. The HP gain will be moderate. From what I understand going to a 383 is not the best gain in cubes for our cars. You might want to look into getting a new short block and going up to a 408. It is more expensive, but if you were planning to get a new crank, rods, pistons, and bearings, you are not adding that much more for a block. Just throwing up some ideas for you. Making a stroker is a rather big commitment, it would be best to check out all the options and do lots of research. Hopefully, someone on the boards that has gone up to a 383 can comment on how much they gained.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

To stroke the motor you will need to bore out the block and get a bigger crankshaft.

300RWHP, 341RWTQ
    1/8 mile 8.32 at 83.97
    1/4 mile 13.049 at 105.24

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    To stroke the motor you will need to bore out the block and get a bigger crankshaft.
    you don't need to bore a block to make it a stroker, think about what your saying.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

3.75 crankshaft, block needs to be punched .30 over

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by mroth2008 View Post
    you don't need to bore a block to make it a stroker, think about what your saying.
    Correct, you do not need to change the bore whenever you change the stroke length. On a used block I would suggest at least honeing the block, you might have to get more taken out depending on how much wear you have. From what I understand though the sleeves in a LS1 will not allow to much, and at a certain point it is just cheaper to get a new block.

White
    00 z28

Ok so what is honeing?

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Ok so what is honeing?
    Smoothing out the cylinder walls usually taking off about .005" There is a bunch of other stuff that I would personally like done to any block that I bother rebuilding and putting in thousands of dollars in. This is just one of the reasons I see getting a new block for a 402/408 is a better idea if you are going to make a stroker. It is expensive, but with such an expensive venture already, you might as well do it right once.

White Bird, Red Camaro
    91' Bird, 02' Camaro

"Stroking" an engine was popularized by the GenI SBC engines. You basically take a stock 400 crankshaft and turn down the diameters of the main bearings. This allows you to install this larger crankshaft into a 350 engine. The stroke of a stock 350SBC is 3.47" and a stock 400 crankshaft is 3.75". So installing a 400 crankshaft in a 350 block bored .030" over would yield 383 cubic inches. Bored .060" 388 cubic inches and no over bore would be ~378 cubic inches.

You should use the longest rod you can afford to reduce the stress on the conrod/piston/cylinder wall. The piston acceleration rates for the same RPM will be much higher then a stock stroke, so if you want to spin this baby fast you better get the best conrods and pistons. Strokers are good for trucks, torque monsters they are.

White Bird, Red Camaro
    91' Bird, 02' Camaro

Ok so what is honeing?
    Honing can correct cylinder bore symetry (taper, out-of-round, etc.), but like bottesini said it doesn't take much out. It also leaves the proper cross-hatch pattern to help with ring "break-in" and oil retention.

Thread Information