Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

is this streetable for a cam

This is a discussion on is this streetable for a cam within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; if you do go with that cam, your not going to have any power down low. If this is your ...

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

if you do go with that cam, your not going to have any power down low. If this is your DD, then I would highly suggest you look into another cam. something with a bit smaller duration. If your going to go with a cam like that, your gonna need gears otherwise you'll be very dissapointed from idle- 3500 rpm..lets not forget that with the duration being so high, that cam is going to peakl very high..if you have to spin it over 7k, your gonna blow something in the motor..more than likely the #7 piston and/or your rod bolts. g5x3, trex or ms3 would be the highest I would consider on a stock bottom end. just my .02
    Nino

Cobra, Z28, GN, F250

Quote Originally Posted by Street Lethal
    Heh, that's not what she said.

She'll change her mind when you get outrun

-Will

white

Quote Originally Posted by ninobrn99
    if you do go with that cam, your not going to have any power down low. If this is your DD, then I would highly suggest you look into another cam. something with a bit smaller duration. If your going to go with a cam like that, your gonna need gears otherwise you'll be very dissapointed from idle- 3500 rpm..lets not forget that with the duration being so high, that cam is going to peakl very high..if you have to spin it over 7k, your gonna blow something in the motor..more than likely the #7 piston and/or your rod bolts. g5x3, trex or ms3 would be the highest I would consider on a stock bottom end. just my .02
    Nino
    i dont understand, this cam is smaller than an magic stick v3

white
    2000 Z28

TSP's magic stick is pretty streetable for a driver car.

white

Quote Originally Posted by lbz34
    TSP's magic stick is pretty streetable for a driver car.
    and that cam is close to what i got, right?

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

my bad then. i havent looked at cam specs in a while...even still, if your building a track queen and dont care about the loss down low, then go for it.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

I suppose many of us just answered your question, but I forgot to ask you some questions, so here goes:

What are you wanting to do with your car? Is it a daily driver, stick or auto?

If its not a daily driver, what % of time are you planning to race it/cruise it/use it recreationally? What supporting mods have you already done or planning to do with your cam?

There are a lot of ways to going when planning your mods, and much of it depends on what your intentions are. I've heard a lot of people say "I wish I had got a bigger cam", but none of them even close to the range you are talking about. Usually, it seems they are people who have done one of the extremely popular 224/224 cams before they knew what else was out there or had done any real homework.

Fill in a few blanks for us, and we're here to help you make a good choice.

Hammer

white

Quote Originally Posted by hammertime
    I suppose many of us just answered your question, but I forgot to ask you some questions, so here goes:

What are you wanting to do with your car? Is it a daily driver, stick or auto?

If its not a daily driver, what % of time are you planning to race it/cruise it/use it recreationally? What supporting mods have you already done or planning to do with your cam?

There are a lot of ways to going when planning your mods, and much of it depends on what your intentions are. I've heard a lot of people say "I wish I had got a bigger cam", but none of them even close to the range you are talking about. Usually, it seems they are people who have done one of the extremely popular 224/224 cams before they knew what else was out there or had done any real homework.

Fill in a few blanks for us, and we're here to help you make a good choice.

Hammer

well the cars an auto with a 3500 stall with nitrous plate, is has an ls6 intake, im porting the heads, and getting that cam. i have long tube headers, slp y pipe w/high flow cat and slp cat back. im running a 109 hp shot at the wheels. i dynoed 449 at the wheels with the 100 shot pills in. im looking into going 6.** in the 1/8, with my et streets so far i have gone 7.4s and 11.6s in the quarter. im looking at going 10s and 6s in the 1/8 with this next setup.

228-236, 588-578 @ 114 headers,ported heads,all bolt ons and a 12 bolt 3.73,3400 stall, 432 rwhp and 387 tq.Drives like stock untill you open it up.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by cjg454ss
    well the cars an auto with a 3500 stall with nitrous plate, is has an ls6 intake, im porting the heads, and getting that cam. i have long tube headers, slp y pipe w/high flow cat and slp cat back. im running a 109 hp shot at the wheels. i dynoed 449 at the wheels with the 100 shot pills in. im looking into going 6.** in the 1/8, with my et streets so far i have gone 7.4s and 11.6s in the quarter. im looking at going 10s and 6s in the 1/8 with this next setup.
    Well, that actually doesn't sound to bad, now that we know where you stand. Would have been a terrible selection for someone who hadn't done any of the bolt-on you alredy have. Might still be a little on the big side, but seeing as you have specific goals, I'd say you must've done your homework. Again, how streetable a cam like that ends up depends on your tuner, but it doesn't sound like that's incredibly high on your list.

Good Luck!

white

Quote Originally Posted by hammertime
    Well, that actually doesn't sound to bad, now that we know where you stand. Would have been a terrible selection for someone who hadn't done any of the bolt-on you alredy have. Might still be a little on the big side, but seeing as you have specific goals, I'd say you must've done your homework. Again, how streetable a cam like that ends up depends on your tuner, but it doesn't sound like that's incredibly high on your list.

Good Luck!
    well the cam is similar to the magic stick 3 , and a bunch of guys have run them and liked them. i probably could of went smaller but i got a great deal on the cam so i took it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information