Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Stock pushrods ?

This is a discussion on Stock pushrods ? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; My 98 SS has currently has 55,000 miles on it and i am not the first owner. I was just ...

  1. #1
    Member km346's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    masssaaechuuuseettes
    Posts
    241

    Silver
    1998 hardtop SS

    Stock pushrods ?

    My 98 SS has currently has 55,000 miles on it and i am not the first owner. I was just wondering how many of you guys have bent the stock pushrods? I haven't missed any gears and have only bumped the rev limiter a few times since ive owned it, but ive been thinking about my push rods lately... do you think i should be worried about having any bent push rods? my valve train seems fairly quiet however i sometimes get a little bit of "lifter tick" when cold. opinions?

    Thanks in advance
    -Kyle

  2. #2
    Exalted Cyclops 67CamaroRSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,824

    2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

    I over revved the 02 trying to manually shift the A4 when I 1st bought it. It hit the rev limiter HARD! I bent 2 of the pushrods. Not real bad but they wern't straight when rolled on a flat surface.

    Now that I know better I let the comp do it's thing (It's programmed for max effort)...
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 03-05-2010 at 09:21 PM.

  3. #3
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    I had 1 really bad one and 3 with very slight bends in them.

    24K miles when they came out.

  4. #4
    Senior Member bills98ta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St Thomas, PA
    Posts
    5,047

    White
    1998 Trans Am

    Bent push rods come from the valves hitting the pistons when they float out. You should consider heavier valve springs too. The comp 26918 springs would be a good investment. The stockers are to weak.

  5. #5
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Stock valvetrain???
    If so....replace with stock parts.


    The stockers give....for a reason.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

    1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

  6. #6
    Member km346's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    masssaaechuuuseettes
    Posts
    241

    Silver
    1998 hardtop SS

    Yeah, im planning to buy some used stock push rods to replace any pretzels i may find. It would be nice to upgrade springs and push rods... but that seems overkill to me with the stock cam.

  7. #7
    Member squirlnutz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    107

    white
    2000 trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by km346 View Post
    Yeah, im planning to buy some used stock push rods to replace any pretzels i may find. It would be nice to upgrade springs and push rods... but that seems overkill to me with the stock cam.
    I dont think used pushrod would be good. Not much for good new ones.

  8. #8
    Member km346's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    masssaaechuuuseettes
    Posts
    241

    Silver
    1998 hardtop SS

    Quote Originally Posted by squirlnutz View Post
    I dont think used pushrod would be good. Not much for good new ones.
    Well I would be replacing a stock bent pushrod with a stock strait pushrod. I can get a set cheap that have less miles on them then my engine has... Why do you think that would be a bad idea? As long as they're strait they should serve there purpose, no?
    Last edited by km346; 03-07-2010 at 03:47 PM.

  9. #9
    LSX whore allbaugh_04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,895

    Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

    Yeah but some nice hardened push rods don't cost all that much. I personally try and upgrade everything I change out.

    Who knows when you miss a shift and bend the stockers again, right after you changed them.

    The stock ones are weak.

  10. #10
    Member El Toro Loco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Harlingen, tx
    Posts
    757

    pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

    Stock for stock?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Stock valvetrain???
    If so....replace with stock parts.


    The stockers give....for a reason.
    SO u dont think that there is justification for putting in better push rods and sprigns wit the stock cam. how come?

  11. #11
    Member km346's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    masssaaechuuuseettes
    Posts
    241

    Silver
    1998 hardtop SS

    Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Yeah but some nice hardened push rods don't cost all that much. I personally try and upgrade everything I change out.

    Who knows when you miss a shift and bend the stockers again, right after you changed them.

    The stock ones are weak.
    From what ive been reading the past few days the stock push rods are more then strong enough for the stock cam and valve springs. The only reason they bend is because the engine is mechanically over revved (downshifted into wrong gear, etc) The valves float causing PTV contact. Knowing that it wouldn't be smart to upgrade to chrome moly push rods because if i ever over revved again i would now be bending valves instead of the weaker push rods.

  12. #12
    LSX whore allbaugh_04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,895

    Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by km346 View Post
    From what ive been reading the past few days the stock push rods are more then strong enough for the stock cam and valve springs. The only reason they bend is because the engine is mechanically over revved (downshifted into wrong gear, etc) The valves float causing PTV contact. Knowing that it wouldn't be smart to upgrade to chrome moly push rods because if i ever over revved again i would now be bending valves instead of the weaker push rods.
    That's why you should do a cam swap and replace it all...silly

  13. #13
    Member 02fbody35th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    scranton,pa
    Age
    31
    Posts
    279

    red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

    QUOTE=km346;2261821]From what ive been reading the past few days the stock push rods are more then strong enough for the stock cam and valve springs. The only reason they bend is because the engine is mechanically over revved (downshifted into wrong gear, etc) The valves float causing PTV contact. Knowing that it wouldn't be smart to upgrade to chrome moly push rods because if i ever over revved again i would now be bending valves instead of the weaker push rods.[/QUOTE]

    You hit the nail on the head man. that is exactlly why mr. luos said the factory put the weak pushrods in for a reason.

  14. #14
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Yeah but some nice hardened push rods don't cost all that much. I personally try and upgrade everything I change out.

    Who knows when you miss a shift and bend the stockers again, right after you changed them.

    The stock ones are weak.
    This is true. The stock valve springs are weak, after some use they are lucky to have 60-70 lbs. seat pressure.

    When you bend a pushrod, it's not because of the rev limiter, it's because there is some sort of piston to valve contact due to a weak spring. That can only happen if the spring is not controlling the valve properly. Most valve float occurs when the valve returns to the seat, and bounces off the seat.

    The only other way to have piston/valve contact on a stock engine, would be if the timing chain jumped teeth.

    If you have bent pushrods on a stock engine, more than likely the springs are weak allowing the valve to bounce. This more than likely occurs on the exhaust valve/spring. They see the most heat and those springs fatigue as a result.

    I would pay close attention to which pushrod is bent and what hole it came from. Then check that corresponding valve spring for seat pressure. Chances are it's under par.

    Your best bet would be to swap the pushrods for good quality ones, and replace the valve springs while the rockers are off. Good insurance. With the valves controlled properly, you could bang the motor on the limiter all day without issues.

  15. #15
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    This is true. The stock valve springs are weak, after some use they are lucky to have 60-70 lbs. seat pressure.

    When you bend a pushrod, it's not because of the rev limiter, it's because there is some sort of piston to valve contact due to a weak spring. That can only happen if the spring is not controlling the valve properly. Most valve float occurs when the valve returns to the seat, and bounces off the seat.
    I honestly don't believe any PTV must occur to bend the pushrods. If that were the case, I think we'd be seeing a lot more people with bent valves.

    What is most likely happening is excessive lash in the valvetrain due to valve float, and the extra clearance causes a hard shock to the pushrod as the RPM's drop and the clearance is taken up.

    Your best bet would be to swap the pushrods for good quality ones, and replace the valve springs while the rockers are off. Good insurance. With the valves controlled properly, you could bang the motor on the limiter all day without issues.
    I agree. When I found out mine were bent, I swapped them for some Comp Cams hardened pushrods.

  16. #16
    Member El Toro Loco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Harlingen, tx
    Posts
    757

    pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

    good info

  17. #17
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    What is most likely happening is excessive lash in the valvetrain due to valve float, and the extra clearance causes a hard shock to the pushrod as the RPM's drop and the clearance is taken up.
    For that to happen, it would have to be some pretty flimsy pushrods. Doesn't say much for the stockers. All the more reason to yank those suckers and replace with something better.
    Funny thing is, with the rev limiter set to 6,000 on these stock engines, and to already be into valve float at that point is not saying much for the valve springs either.
    Shouldn't be seeing valve float that early if the engine is equipped with proper springs to control the valve action.

    Short answer, upgrading the springs are a good idea.

  18. #18
    Member km346's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    masssaaechuuuseettes
    Posts
    241

    Silver
    1998 hardtop SS

    From what i understand ls6 springs are a direct swap over, may go that route depending on what i find when i open the valve covers... My luck ill buy new springs and chrome moly push rods and all my stock stuff will be fine when i open'er up. We'll see when i pull it out of storage...

  19. #19
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    For that to happen, it would have to be some pretty flimsy pushrods. Doesn't say much for the stockers. All the more reason to yank those suckers and replace with something better.
    Funny thing is, with the rev limiter set to 6,000 on these stock engines, and to already be into valve float at that point is not saying much for the valve springs either.
    Shouldn't be seeing valve float that early if the engine is equipped with proper springs to control the valve action.

    Short answer, upgrading the springs are a good idea.
    I agree, upgraded springs are always good.

    However, I don't think the issue is happening at 6,000RPM. I think it is a result of an overrev situation (missed shift) or too much pounding against the rev limiter over time.

    Either way, the stock pushrods are not very strong.

  20. #20
    🤔 11s. blackbirdbrain89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    hagerstown, mercersburg
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,844

    black trans am
    2000

    hell im running stock push rods and shifting at 6400 and some times hits 7k and no bent rods

    every one note that i have 918 springs on my car and do not hit the limmiter @7k
    the worst thing ive done is tossed a belt off my car

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. For Sale: .::Ls1 Pushrods, Springs and Cam (OE/Stock)::.
    By ne0fiend in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-12-2010, 05:54 PM
  2. Help: How long are the pushrods in a stock ls1
    By camaroluvr447 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-30-2009, 09:13 AM
  3. Question: using stock pushrods
    By JayinAZ00WS6 in forum General Help
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-06-2009, 03:35 PM
  4. Cutout Stock Cam springs and pushrods!!
    By prietodogg in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-31-2007, 02:26 PM
  5. WTB: stock rockers, stock pushrods and other parts
    By jimmy 2 times in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-31-2006, 01:20 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •