Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

stock heads, porting and milling?

This is a discussion on stock heads, porting and milling? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Aren't there any assembled head options out there that can compete with the cost of having the stockers milled? I ...

SOM
    2002 SS

Aren't there any assembled head options out there that can compete with the cost of having the stockers milled? I am unfamiliar yet with ls heads but for LTX heads in most cases its cheaper to just buy assembled afrs and bolt them on instead of spending money on having the stockers ported.

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Aren't there any assembled head options out there that can compete with the cost of having the stockers milled? I am unfamiliar yet with ls heads but for LTX heads in most cases its cheaper to just buy assembled afrs and bolt them on instead of spending money on having the stockers ported.
    well, the porting would be done by an uncle of mine for free, and a guy I work with has a machine shop with the machine to mill them. would also be done for free. so, wouldn't be much cost into it other than the time to take them off and put them back on. If i ever get around to it.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    As far as budget goes, patriot makes a pretty good product for the price. i wanna say they are like $1800-$1900 fully assem. P/P and milled.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by LS1Jason View Post
    well, the porting would be done by an uncle of mine for free, and a guy I work with has a machine shop with the machine to mill them. would also be done for free. so, wouldn't be much cost into it other than the time to take them off and put them back on. If i ever get around to it.
    I ported and polished mine myself.
    took a good 5 hours but it was definately worth it. you'd be suprised just how much material you can get out of them and good a stock ported head can flow

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Found some ported 806's only thing left to do is mill them down-which is cheaper than porting anyway. Ask this guy for some flow #'s
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-pa...ve-covers.html
    here is some head flow #'s for your consideration
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...ng-thread.html

Black
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by LS1Jason View Post
    Thinking about going ahead and putting a cam in my car.

Texas Speed 228r - 228/228 .588/.588 on a 112lsa

My question, how much can the stock heads be ported? And with that cam, just how much could i have the stock heads milled, without worrying about flycutting.

Thanks!
    Enough to flow sufficiently with the cam you have chosen.
    What compression ratio are you looking for?
    LS6 Heads are usually 64cc and 5.3 heads are even less and come with good size valves.
    If you anticipate going bigger on heads and cam it will take a lot more money for all the supporting goodies as you add HP such as rear end, slicks, trans, etc.
    Get a good porting guide (do search on here) and start grinding on them. Polish them up on the exhaust and intake then do some bowl work and port match.
    You will like the difference, or pick up a set of 243 LS6 heads and buy yourself some room later on. A set of 243's set up can be had for $300-$600 and you may have that much $ in your stock heads if you figure time and set up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information