Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

starting after h/c install

This is a discussion on starting after h/c install within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Car will not stay running. It will start for a second and then die. It will stay alive for about ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member splitfinger09's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bartlesville, Oklahoma, United
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,264

    Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

    starting after h/c install

    Car will not stay running. It will start for a second and then die. It will stay alive for about 10 seconds if I give it a little gas, but then it dies no matter if you keep giving it gas. I had a mail order tune done for my setup. I have the stock injectors in the car right now, but the mail order tune was scaled to the new 42# green tops. Should I have the stock or new ones in? I just wanna get the car up to temp so I can check any mechanical issues before I take it to the tuner. Also the gas in the car is around 6 months old. How bad is that? Thanks for all your help everyone I just really wanna get my car going!!

  2. #2
    I don't sell out! blackSS01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,558

    Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

    6 month old gas isn't good if it wasn't treated with stabil or something of that nature. Mail order tunes are not that good for H/C setups, it could be you're tune thats doing it, but if you have the tune set up for one thing and using another..........that doesn't help either. If it stays running with gas, then give it some gas to keep it running to warm it up. It may idle once its warm
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

    Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

    Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

  3. #3
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,519

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    don't run your stock injectors when it's calibrated fr 42's.....not a good idea.

  4. #4
    I don't sell out! blackSS01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,558

    Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

    Mail order are bad enough for H/C set ups and then you go ahead and change it to something else. That is more then likely you're problem. I would put some fresh gas in it, change the injectors and fire the bad boy up. Try and keep it running.

  5. #5
    Senior Member splitfinger09's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bartlesville, Oklahoma, United
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,264

    Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

    ok so I swapped the new injectors in and the car started up just fine. It ran for a good 10 min. This was with open headers and the o2's unplugged from the headers. Well I got the exhaust back on and put the o2's back in. Car started fine for about 5 min then just died. It will not stay running now. Any ideas? Thanks!

  6. #6
    Senior Member splitfinger09's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bartlesville, Oklahoma, United
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,264

    Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Mail order are bad enough for H/C set ups and then you go ahead and change it to something else. That is more then likely you're problem. I would put some fresh gas in it, change the injectors and fire the bad boy up. Try and keep it running.
    do you think it would be ok if I just put in fresh gas mixed with the old gas or do I have to drain it?

  7. #7
    I don't sell out! blackSS01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,558

    Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

    I say just add fresh 93 octane to old gas. Adding a water remover couldnt hurt. Try unplugging your battery so that you reset your computer. Running it without O2s or exhaust isnt going to help your computer out. Try starting it a couple times after that and see what happens

  8. #8
    Senior Member splitfinger09's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bartlesville, Oklahoma, United
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,264

    Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

    still no luck. Any other suggestions?

  9. #9
    I don't sell out! blackSS01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,558

    Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

    Try what I PM'ed you. See if that helps.

    EDIT: After you reset the computer it can take a few times to get it running right. I've had my car idle at 200 rpms before

  10. #10
    Senior Member splitfinger09's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bartlesville, Oklahoma, United
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,264

    Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

    ok i will give it a shot. its weird because it wont even try to stay running. It fires up and then almost instantly dies. like it doesnt even recognize if I hit the gas.

  11. #11
    I don't sell out! blackSS01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,558

    Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

    What Cam/Head combo did you go with? Stock Fuel pump? Miles on car? Maybe your fuel pump is taking a shit, can you hear it working at all?

  12. #12
    Senior Member splitfinger09's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bartlesville, Oklahoma, United
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,264

    Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    What Cam/Head combo did you go with? Stock Fuel pump? Miles on car? Maybe your fuel pump is taking a shit, can you hear it working at all?
    TrickFlow As Cast 220cc Cylinder Heads- 3.90 Bore
    Fully Assembled Including .650 Lift Springs
    Mill to Desired Compression-61cc
    Hardened Pushrods
    228/230 .588/.592 112 LSA Camshaft
    Comp Trunion Kit
    GM MLS Head Gaskets
    ARP Head Bolts
    FAST Intake Gaskets
    Front Cover Gasket
    Front Cover Seal
    Waterpump Gaskets
    GM Crank Bolt
    Powerbond 25% Underdrive Pulley with Gates Belts/GM Bolt- F Body
    Comp Drop In Hi Performance Lifters
    Katech C5R Timing Chain
    Melling Hi Volume Oil Pump for LS Engines
    SVO 42lb/hr Fuel Injectors
    GM MLS Exhaust Manifold Gaskets
    Poly Motor Mounts

    Yes stock fuel pump. Yeah I hear it everytime I turn the key. Its getting fuel just doesnt wanna stay running. Fuel rail is full of fuel. 61k on car
    Last edited by splitfinger09; 03-20-2011 at 02:16 PM.

  13. #13
    I don't sell out! blackSS01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,558

    Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

    Quote Originally Posted by splitfinger09 View Post
    TrickFlow As Cast 220cc Cylinder Heads- 3.90 Bore
    Fully Assembled Including .650 Lift Springs
    Mill to Desired Compression-61cc
    Hardened Pushrods
    228/230 .588/.592 112 LSA Camshaft
    Comp Trunion Kit
    GM MLS Head Gaskets
    ARP Head Bolts
    FAST Intake Gaskets
    Front Cover Gasket
    Front Cover Seal
    Waterpump Gaskets
    GM Crank Bolt
    Powerbond 25% Underdrive Pulley with Gates Belts/GM Bolt- F Body
    Comp Drop In Hi Performance Lifters
    Katech C5R Timing Chain
    Melling Hi Volume Oil Pump for LS Engines
    SVO 42lb/hr Fuel Injectors
    GM MLS Exhaust Manifold Gaskets
    Poly Motor Mounts

    Yes stock fuel pump. Yeah I hear it everytime I turn the key. Its getting fuel just doesnt wanna stay running. Fuel rail is full of fuel.
    That does help a little bit, it gets rid of one possible problem. Your setup is kinda like mine, there is a few differences but nothing that should cause your car not to run. Who did the mail order tune? If you checked all the wiring and found no problems, did you check the spark plug wires?

  14. #14
    Senior Member splitfinger09's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bartlesville, Oklahoma, United
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,264

    Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    That does help a little bit, it gets rid of one possible problem. Your setup is kinda like mine, there is a few differences but nothing that should cause your car not to run. Who did the mail order tune? If you checked all the wiring and found no problems, did you check the spark plug wires?
    Brett @ xp racing in okc. I just emailed him and he said that possibly running the car earlier without the o2's and exhaust could of messed with the fuel and air trims and so its dumping to much fuel to start. He said to disconnect the battery for 15 min and see if that helps. Yep checked the plug wires they all seem to be connected well.

  15. #15
    I don't sell out! blackSS01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,558

    Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

    Quote Originally Posted by splitfinger09 View Post
    Brett @ xp racing in okc. I just emailed him and he said that possibly running the car earlier without the o2's and exhaust could of messed with the fuel and air trims and so its dumping to much fuel to start. He said to disconnect the battery for 15 min and see if that helps. Yep checked the plug wires they all seem to be connected well.
    Thats why I told you that a few posts ago. I assumed you tried it with no luck

    Try it again, but remember it won't want to run good the first fire up. Let it run a lil bit and shut it off. Fire it up again and it should idle better. Computer needs to re-learn. Good luck

  16. #16
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,519

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    My personal opinion is to stop screwing around with it before you ruin it and destroy some expensive and hard earned mods. Put the thing on a trailer and take it to a tuner.

  17. #17
    I don't sell out! blackSS01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,558

    Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    My personal opinion is to stop screwing around with it before you ruin it and destroy some expensive and hard earned mods. Put the thing on a trailer and take it to a tuner.
    If what I PM'd you didn't work and whats been said in this thread doesn't help then I totally agree with 0rion that a tuner is needed. You have a good amount of money invested like most of us to watch it get flushed down the drain. Shit ain't cheap

  18. #18
    Junior Member black2kSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    cheektowaga, ny
    Posts
    96

    black
    2000 camaro ss

    is there any possibility that there is a vacuum hose that is unhooked? sounds like a massive air leak. or dirty mass air meter. that doesnt explain why it would run for ten min then die but trying to cover all the bases

  19. #19
    🤔 11s. blackbirdbrain89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    hagerstown, mercersburg
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,844

    black trans am
    2000

    Quote Originally Posted by splitfinger09 View Post
    TrickFlow As Cast 220cc Cylinder Heads- 3.90 Bore
    Fully Assembled Including .650 Lift Springs
    Mill to Desired Compression-61cc
    Hardened Pushrods
    228/230 .588/.592 112 LSA Camshaft
    Comp Trunion Kit
    GM MLS Head Gaskets
    ARP Head Bolts
    FAST Intake Gaskets
    Front Cover Gasket
    Front Cover Seal
    Waterpump Gaskets
    GM Crank Bolt
    Powerbond 25% Underdrive Pulley with Gates Belts/GM Bolt- F Body
    Comp Drop In Hi Performance Lifters
    Katech C5R Timing Chain
    Melling Hi Volume Oil Pump for LS Engines
    SVO 42lb/hr Fuel Injectors
    GM MLS Exhaust Manifold Gaskets
    Poly Motor Mounts

    Yes stock fuel pump. Yeah I hear it everytime I turn the key. Its getting fuel just doesnt wanna stay running. Fuel rail is full of fuel. 61k on car
    first. do u have the maf hooked up and the intake air temp?

    and next is do u have hptuners?

    sounds like u have a simple issue and is keeping it from running...

    i had a TPS kick my ass last week the o ring didnt seat and got water in it and would not run...

    next i would make sure the crank and cam sensor are hooked up

    then if is still messed up check to make sure the cam and crank are lined up

    also check and see if the car has any codes.. that my be the easyest way to find out whats not working

  20. #20
    🤔 11s. blackbirdbrain89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    hagerstown, mercersburg
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,844

    black trans am
    2000

    while ur in there pull a plug and see if its wet or dark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2002 Firebird Trans Am / Install 7.5-7.625-4:10 gear install
    By Buick455 in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-09-2015, 06:17 AM
  2. Starting y heads and cam install
    By cancam99ss in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-11-2011, 01:25 PM
  3. Well it is starting
    By Sarge in forum Political / Debate Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-23-2010, 03:54 PM
  4. Car isn't starting, please help...
    By ls1camino in forum General Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-27-2008, 07:48 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-11-2007, 10:30 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •