Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Started the Heads/Cam install today.

This is a discussion on Started the Heads/Cam install today. within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; you have HP tuners right? I think I am going to get that one day but I dont haev the ...

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

you have HP tuners right? I think I am going to get that one day but I dont haev the money for all the tuning stuff that I would want..

for now, i can only pray that the car runs when I put it back together...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

na, I have LS1 edit and log with efilive. Old school.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

i just noticed something. your car is a 99, yet i see perimeter bolt head on that motor. 97-98 heads. what am i missing here?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

he got a good deal on those already ported

Went out and adjusted the set screw on the TB. Pretty good results. I'll still have to work the idle I'm sure and this is at 950 and I'd like to idle closer to 850 if I can.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    he got a good deal on those already ported[/URL]

I bought them for a good price back before I even knew there was a difference. I have had them for over a year so I decided to finally use them

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

juiced, orion, and mrr23, out of curiosity, how did you go about making sure the lifters didnt fall when you pulled the cam? ive seen a few different ways to go about it, but was wondering what you all thought worked the best.
    if im pulling the pan, im pulling the whole motor for bigger cubes. and that will only happen if i blow it up.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the way I done it was pull the heads. I've heard of people using the pen magnets or dowels. Personally, I wouldn't trust the pen magnets or just spinning the cam to get them up in the cups. The dowel method is the only one I would really trust.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    the way I done it was pull the heads. I've heard of people using the pen magnets or dowels. Personally, I wouldn't trust the pen magnets or just spinning the cam to get them up in the cups. The dowel method is the only one I would really trust.
    what kind of heads do you have Orion? im wanting to just port mine out. dont exactly have a few grand laying around right now. though i was considering the ls6 heads and a port job (by me, the novice!).

98 Formula
    06 duramax

5.3L stage 2.5's you can pick up stock 243's pretty cheap now days.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

I pulled the heads too check ebay for heads.. might be surprised.

Pewter
    2000 z28

what is the difference in the 5.3 heads. lower compression or what. i didnt realize until yesterday that the two motors had similar bore.... how have you utilized em????

and im on ebay frequently, to broke and ball-less to buy from that site.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

5.3 liter heads have a higher compression ratio due to smaller combustion chambers. Great upgrade for an LS1

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    5.3 liter heads have a higher compression ratio due to smaller combustion chambers. Great upgrade for an LS1
    ok, thanks juiced. they can be had for pretty cheap im guessing?

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

depends.. same as LS6 heads I suppose. If you want a set of used ones to polish yourself and rebuilt you can get them pretty cheap otherwise you can buy them already done up like Orion did but I dont know what he paid for his. If you are looking into heads in the future let me know if you want some used 5.3 heads to work with and I can get them cheap for you more than likely. I am selling my heads to a guy with a 5.3 liter truck. I dont know what they flow stock though.

Pewter
    2000 z28

depends.. same as LS6 heads I suppose. If you want a set of used ones to polish yourself and rebuilt you can get them pretty cheap otherwise you can buy them already done up like Orion did but I dont know what he paid for his. If you are looking into heads in the future let me know if you want some used 5.3 heads to work with and I can get them cheap for you more than likely. I am selling my heads to a guy with a 5.3 liter truck. I dont know what they flow stock though.
    well i'll be getting ahold of ya in the very near future then. doing it all myself and on a buget. thats the only way to go...

thanks for the info

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

no problem man, let me know whenever you are ready. I dont know when this guy will actually be putting these other heads on his truck but I know he is paying 300$ for my stock heads and cam so he should sell the 5.3s to me for cheaper than that but I cant speak for him so ill let ya know.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    juiced, orion, and mrr23, out of curiosity, how did you go about making sure the lifters didnt fall when you pulled the cam? ive seen a few different ways to go about it, but was wondering what you all thought worked the best.
    if im pulling the pan, im pulling the whole motor for bigger cubes. and that will only happen if i blow it up.
    if you are pulling the heads, then it's just a matter of pulling them out. if you are leaving them on, then rotate the cam aa couple of times. this will push them off the cam. then you pull the cam and slide the new one in. if you are concerned about the lifters falling out, then head to home depot and get some 5/16" wooden dowels rods. you'll see two holes where the cam retainer plate goes. cut the dowel rods to about 23", i think and slide them in. then pull the cam.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    what is the difference in the 5.3 heads. lower compression or what. i didnt realize until yesterday that the two motors had similar bore.... how have you utilized em????

and im on ebay frequently, to broke and ball-less to buy from that site.
    smaller chambers means more compression ratio. but, the 5.3L has smaller intake valves than a LS1 head. so, you'll negate the gain with less intake airflow.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    smaller chambers means more compression ratio. but, the 5.3L has smaller intake valves than a LS1 head. so, you'll negate the gain with less intake airflow.
    but you could port the intake valves couldnt you??? i dont know what that would do for cfm but..... what would you do? port out the stock heads? i dont have the money for something like afr's or patriot's. i havent really looked at the z06 heads, but i cant imagine there is a huge difference.

also thanks for the help again. i guess i should be asking closer to the time of the cam swap and all, but i want to plan accordingly and give myself enough time to get things done consecutively.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

with the stage 2.5's that I got 2.04 valves came with them. A valve upgrade is a must have with 5.3L heads. Personally if it were me and was going to home port my own heads I would keep my eyes out in the GTO crowd for someone dumping their stock 243's and port those. I wouldn't have the balls to try and port my own heads. I don't have the knowledge either. You can actually lose HP if they're not right.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information