Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Started the Heads/Cam install today.

This is a discussion on Started the Heads/Cam install today. within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; that would abeen such a shitty mistake. i felt so dumb because I have taken that all apart twice in ...

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

that would abeen such a shitty mistake. i felt so dumb because I have taken that all apart twice in the last week and everything looked to be installed right

anyways for my latest update. shitty day I might add, i wasted to much time. I got the new oil pump in and installed it with the shims and used locktight on all the bolts and pulled the three out of my top sprocket and redid them with locktight. Then I cleaned up my front cover really well and got all the rtv off that we put on the other day and cleaned the b lock up really well. I put all new rtv on everything and put the cover back on and locktighted every bolt just to be safe. Then I lifted the engine back up and went to put on the oil pump tube. I thought I finally got it to where it would go on well so I started tightening down the bolt and sure as shit I snapped the head off of it and got the stud stuck in the new oil pump. I then spent a half hour trying to get it out. I finally drilled down the center of it halfway and wedged a screwdriver in it and got it to screw out. Then I found another bolt that would fit just laying around so I decided to put it back together. Another hour was spent cleaning all the semi fresh rtv off which is even freakin harder than cleaning off the old shit. then I decided to put on the tube before the cover and realized what my issue was. The other nut that I took off to completely removed the tube wasnt lining up ecause of the shims. I busted out the handy dremel and now instead of a circular whole for that bolt to slide in and put the nut on I have a slot cut in it at a 45 degree angle so instead of going up and over I could start the one end of the tube and then just slide it one. Worked very well. I will take a picture of it tomorrow before I put the oil pan back on in case anyone else needs an easy way to mod it so it doesnt fight you. Anyways in the end it took me about 3 1/2 hours to install and oil pump and a front fucking cover. oh well.
    Last edited by juiced99ws6; 04-19-2007 at 01:23 PM. Reason: added my daily update :)

98 Formula
    06 duramax

With the injured dog I've been taking care of my car time at night has been cut in half. I got the heads on and the first round of torque on the bolts then went to install a couple pushrods and lifters to spin the motor to make sure there's no problems and I don't have a frigin socket to fit my balancer bolt. The ARP bolt is a 27mm bolt and I borrowed a socket from work the other day to put the balancer on and returned the socket today so I couldn't spin the motor. I'll have to go buy a socket in the morning which is what I should've done in the first place.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

looking good man, I have to go get my heads on tomorrow morning, work has been dicking me around way to much lately. Almost had to work all weekend too, I would have been PISSED!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

almost done. Got it started although it really hates the stock tune. Took a while to get it fired up. I'm gonna write a basic idle tune for it tonight just to keep it running. Love the cam with open headers. Awesome sound. I have several minutes of footage but cut it to just an idle clip.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

very nice man.. I put my heads on today and I have to go borrow a torque wrench tomorrow to torque them down.. I only have maybe an hour worth of work left before everything is ready to drop back into the car but my freind whos house the car is at went to houston for the weekend so I have noone to help me reinstall the engine until he gets back otherwise it would prebrably be running right now. I also cant seem to find one of my water pump bolts for some reason and the thermostat is also MIA.. lol My freind put it somewhere so hopefully he can find it tomrrow.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

how did you go about priming your oil pump and everything? did you just turn it by hand or just start it right up?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I left the coil packs disconnected and pulled the fuel pump fuse and just cranked it until I got oil pressure. It takes a while too. Just keep letting it turn over and when you don't think you're gonna get pressure let it crank a little more and it'll come up.
    I didn't get your cover out today, sorry. I got busy on that thing and never made it up to the UPS place. I still have some issues with the covers. It doesn't seem like the bolts are the same size between the covers. It's like the one you sent me has the same size bolts that I have but the one I already have is a different size.I'm gonna have to pull the cover again and take it to a hardware store and match up some bolts for it. I just zip tied the coil packs on so I could start it up. I couldn't wait until tomorrow.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

haha... i woulda done the same thing. actually we still dont know how we are going to mount the coil pack to the perimeter bolt covers. I just cant wait to get the damned thing back together, I was sooo dissappointed when I found out my friend went out of town. about the cover, just take your time man. When I get it im just gunna throw the other one in the box with it and put it in my storage anyhow. Either that or give them to the guy who is buying my stock stuff from me.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Let me see how I do with bolts tomorrow. I'll send you my coil pack bolts with the cover. I could technically use a couple of them but if I find what I need to get mine to work I'll send my old ones to you so your's will be plug and play. Crap, I don't think the hardware store I want to go to is open tomorrow. It may be but it's a mom and pop shop so they may not. They have any bolt you could ever need, metric or standard. I wish now that I would've had you send me both your covers so I don't have to track down 2 different size bracket mounting bolts but it's no big deal. I know what size the one you sent me is. I just have to pull the other cover to take it in with me.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

so with different bolts I can just put the same coil mount bracket onto the 98 valve covers? if so then that should be pretty simple.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

so after you are totally done whats the next project gunna be, I look forward to checking this thread everyday

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    so after you are totally done whats the next project gunna be, I look forward to checking this thread everyday
    mowing my grass. My yard has been seriously neglected the last few weeks do to this install. Hell, everything has been. If you heard the entire start up video you would hear my daughter crying in the background because I sat her inside while I did the start up. My wife worked this weekend so I was on kid patrol while trying to get this thing finished. I figure my kids spent 8 hours in my garage today. I'll have to make it up to them tomorrow. Unless I end up tuning all day.

I may be kinda done with the car for a while. I'd like to get it tuned and running well and actually drive it this summer. It was down a lot last summer for the rear install. I think I put 2k miles on it all last year. I typically will average about 6k.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

what all do you have done to your car besides the heads/cam?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

heads/cam
    headers and y with e-cutout
    ls6 intake
    shaner s3 tb
    smooth bellows (baker hose)
    slp lid
    3500 stall
    strange 12 bolt
    umi adj torque arm
    umi control arms
    relocation brackets
    panhard bar
    drive shaft loop
    racetronix fuel pump kit
    nittos
    I think that may be it. I would like to do some weight reduction mods at some point. I would also like to pull the engine and swap out rod bolts but that'll have to wait until we get our next house in a year or two and I get a pole barn with a lift.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

very nice.. next month comes the LCAs, relocation brackets and panhard bar. Also depending on what comes up during my dyno tune I may need to get some new injectors and I am already not running my nitrous anymore until I get an inline fuel pump. I just always seem to forget to order one when I have the cash lol. I also thought about doing internals in my car but then I started pricing everything that I wanted and I am just going to wait til after my upcomign deployment and just drop in a 402 when I get home.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I almost went spray instead of the heads/cam. Very tempting to get that many horses for so little money but when I added up everything I wanted with all the safety stuff and gauges and everything it wasn't a whole lot cheaper than the heads/cam but would make more HP. I decided to go this route because I love the sound of a cam and feel it's a little easier on the motor so hopefully I'll get a little more life out of this engine before it goes and I stroke it.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

how is this oil pickup tube O ring such an issue? I have read it quite a few times that they get messed up. Dont you just put it on the end of the tube and slide it down the tube a little and puch the tube into place? thats all I did and now this guy with the old vette has me worried

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I almost went spray instead of the heads/cam. Very tempting to get that many horses for so little money but when I added up everything I wanted with all the safety stuff and gauges and everything it wasn't a whole lot cheaper than the heads/cam but would make more HP. I decided to go this route because I love the sound of a cam and feel it's a little easier on the motor so hopefully I'll get a little more life out of this engine before it goes and I stroke it.
    the spray is very nice to have but the heads and cam is just constant power to play with. I wouldnt consider price the best reason to go with nitrous, I would more consider the easy of installation. Couple hours from the time you open the box to the time you are well over 400rwhp. Now what would feel really great would be to have all the mods that peoplt consider awesome for an f body ie. heads/cam/stall/spray and 12 bolt im sure it will feel great once put back together

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Time for pictures she is ready to be dropped back in.

got it all put back together and everything turns beautifully. transmission makes a little noise but im gunna assume its just because its dry.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Good deal. You'll have it back up and running before you know it. I went out messed with my tune a little tonight. I flashed a tune just to get it to idle. It doesn't idle very pretty but it does stay running now. I have to put the exhaust back on so I can stand to be in the garage with it and then start logging and see where I need to go with the tune. It's loud, smelly, and obnoxious right now......just how I like my women.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information