Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Started the Heads/Cam install today.

Ok a few hours of work into it already even though I wasnt planning on starting til tomorrow morning. Already have off the fuel rails, intake manifold, radiator, coil packs and all the fuel lines. Ran into a snag and had to stop for the night due to not having a power steering pulley puller. Hopefully by tomorrow afternoon I have the heads off and cam out and then Ill just have to drop the transmission and replace that since my heads are in the machine shop being milled right now. I will be posting plenty of pics soon.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I started mine tonight too. I'm sick as a dog though and moving pretty slow and in case you were wondering if you blow your nose on the blue shop towels enough times it will make it raw as hell. Ever decide what you're gonna do with that passenger side cover? I know someone that will do a trade with you. I just got the radiator out, exhaust dropped, water pump off, tb off, and power steering off. I have a helper coming over tomorrow evening so I should be able to make some headway then. Plus there's a good chance I'll get him sick too.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

lol you know SOMEONE that wants to trade huh? lol they should be off tomorrow man, pm me and ill see about getting it out to you.

JOSEY FUCKING WALES! Frankthetank's Avatar

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

Hey to either of u guys.....Im just trying to help u out so go ahead and give me ur heads......It will make ur swap allot easier!
    You know Im just trying to be a true friend and help u guys out !

TSP Rumbler, LT's, TSP Tqr2, PRC 921 Springs, Comp Lifters, Chromoly 7.4" Pushrods, Titanium Retainers/Seats/Seals, ARP head bolts, BMR full Rear suspension

"I could break a bowling ball with a plastic hammer in a sandbox"

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    Ran into a snag and had to stop for the night due to not having a power steering pulley puller.
    don't need to remove the pulley. look at orion's pics. you'll see his pulley is still attached to the pump.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Crap, I missed that yesterday. You could've just taken the bracket off. Got my heads off today/tonight and got them somewhat cleaned up. Cleaning the graphite off kicked my ass and the bolt holes sucked too. Definitely the worst part of the swap so far. I'm gonna work on cleaning them a little more tomorrow and then just move on. There's still some discoloring from the graphite but the gasket material is completely gone so they would probably be fine the way they sit. The bolt holes are another story. I've ran half a role of paper towel down those bolt holes and pulled up next to no coolant but every time I run the chaser bolt down them it comes out wet. I'm assuming it's just a little coolant in the threads so I'll let it settle tonight and try some more towels tomorrow then I'm done with those guys. I also had a helluva time getting my drivers side header to drop down. Finally got it but doing it by yourself sucks and my cold is worse today than it was yesterday so I've been feeling like shit all day. Few pics.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

cleaning out the bolt holes is fun. that's where compressed air comes in. just stick the air gun inside and blow it out.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Yeah, I've been using canned air. I'm getting ready to start on it again here in a few minutes but can only work on for a little bit since the wife has cornered me into going to dinner.

Silver
    99 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    cleaning out the bolt holes is fun. that's where compressed air comes in. just stick the air gun inside and blow it out.
    I found a good way to do this is clamp a piece of small hose on your air compressor that will fit down to the bottom of the bolt hole. This works really well.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    I used a shop vac today... worked pretty well its pretty powerful. I used it to suck out where the lifters go and the cylinders as well and then wiped everything down

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

ok as for my status.. lol. Lets just say we did it a little differently than the reccommended way. I also had a tranmission swap to do and you cant really get to the bell housing bolts all that well with everything in the car. I also had to do the heads/cam and replace a transmission mount so we borrowed and engine hoist, took the hood off and the engine is now on the garage floor.
    First we did the tranny. I got a stage 2 performabuilt transmission and had to reuse my old bellhousing and tailhousing. The transmission came off the engine pretty easy just a tiny bit of prying here and there however when it came to removing the bellhousing wefound the bolts were all really overtorqued and stripped two of them. We could not find anyway to drill them out and torching them out could have warped the bellhousing which I needed. Instead we took an air chisel to the transmission housing and busted off the ears to expose the bolts and then knocked them out with a hammer. After that everything was pretty easy and we got it mounted to the car. Now comes the parts that is kinda scary but its a good thing we caught it. For a little while now I could here my car making a ticking noise but always forgot about it and you could only hear it from under the car. When we bolted the transmission up we found we could not turn the engine very far AT ALL. Turns out 2 out of the 3 bolts that holds the torqued converter where only halfway in and hitting something and this was on top of the 3 mission bellhousing bolts. I am going to have a talk with the guy who installed my last transmission and torque converter. Anyways I am going to install the rear transmission seal tomorrow and that should be all done.

As for the engine it is just hanging off the hoist right now with the oil pan still off because I am waiting for a gasket til tomorrow for that. It still needs the lifters and heads put back on and then we will be putting that and the transmission back into the car. With the engine out of the car everything about the heads and cam swap took MAYBE 3 hours. It was very simple for my first time ever doing major work like this. I used my stock oil pump because my pressure was still very good, around 70psi at full throttle(and I forgot to order it). Did a double roller timing chain which went on and got timed very easily (I dont know why people fight with the double rollers)

The engine should be ready to be put back in the car tomorrow so we will do that tuesday since we only have a couple hours a day during the week and then sometime before the weekend I can hopefully have everything else hooked back up and ready for a good dyno tune. I believe we are going to drop the k member to put the damned headers back in, they whipped our ass.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

You got quite a bit further than I did today. I cleaned the deck block and made a pulley install tool then went and had dinner. Came home and bent the shit out of my father in laws 3 jaw puller trying to get the pulley off so I'm done until I can go buy a new puller. It also sucks trying to get screwdrivers wedged into the flywheel by yourself. I'd have them just about right and as soon as I put pressure on the balancer bolt it would fall out and I'd have to crawl back under the car and redo it. Repeated that move about 50 times today until I finally got it to stick. Removed bolt. Put tool in. Mounted up the puller. 10 minutes later and the puller is worthless.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Hmm we didnt have that much trouble. the night before we had quit on that bolt after a few minutes because we were tired but the next morning all I did was hook the transmission up and put it in park and eased the bolt out with a breaker bar and got a puller from autozone. Also (this may make alot of people cringe) putting the pulley back on and the bolt back in wasnt to hard because of the tools we used... A 2x4 and a hammer. Once it was on far enough we just put the bolt in it and we havent tightened it down all the way yet because the transmission is once again off of it due to the issues with the TC bolts not being in all the way.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

ok I torqued down the harmonic balancer today and left the oil pan off so I could see it the oil pump was clearing the timing chain and this is what I saw.

im pretty sure I know what the advice here is going to be but I have also heard that it will be ok if it gets ground down a little and then it wont be an issue anymore. any input? Also if I do end up need to shim the oil pump what should I use and how should I go about doing this?

this picture was taking after turning the balancer about 10 times and thats as far as I got

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

more just random pics

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Damn dude, I don't know about that. Those shavings get into a bearing and your screwed. You already have the motor out. Just shim it and do it the right way. What kind of chain is it? I thought they came with shims?

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

yeah after i posted that I decided I need to take it all apart. I am going to check the package again today and see if it came with shims. Only shitty thing is that I have got to go rent that pully puller again from autozone. if the car wasat my house then I would probrably be done by now but its hard to get to my car without a car lol.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I just bought the puller from autozone but it kinda sucked. The jaws really didn't grab enough and it kept slipping off the pulley. I did a little part swapping with my father in laws puller that I ruined and it worked like a charm. Took maybe 5 minutes to get off once I swapped the jaws around.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

yeah the puller from autozone is a pain but once you put enough tension on the jaws they hold in place pretty well. only problem we had was it was missing the piece you are supposed to put on the shaft to pull the pulley off with so we just put a socket there instead for the pulley to work with. I went and ordered a new melling oil pump today and rented the puller again. The oil pump should be in by 1 on thursday so hopefully I find those shims tomorrow when I pull the pulley off and I can get this project underway again.

Have you pull your cam out yet? That was one of the most satisfying things I have done in my life in a long time lol. It feels good when I finally fix something on the helicopters I work on but nothing like spending 15 hours to get to the point of pulling your cam and getting it done lol.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Yeah, got the old cam out and new one in last night after work. Did the timing chain today and will be doing the oil pump later after I pick up the kids from daycare. Check my work, pic is fuzzy because I zoomed in to much and it didn't want to focus but you get the idea. Looks pretty dead on to me.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information