Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Spun Bearing

This is a discussion on Spun Bearing within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; at first mine didn't show any metal flake till I cut the filter....

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Spun Bearing

at first mine didn't show any metal flake till I cut the filter.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403 built, breaking it in , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, Monster Stg 4 Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, UMI: SFC, PHB, LCA's, LCA Relocation Brackets & TA, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/4.10 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

I'm thinking like Scott. Might want to dig deeper and cut that filter open and have a look before resorting to major disassembly.

I spun a bearing in my 454 pickup a couple years back. Happened on the highway, I had a loss of power along with it. I knew right away, and pulled to the side. It was still pegging the 60 psi oil pressure gauge as it always did too. I didn't run the engine more than it took me to slow down, pull to the side and shut it down (20-30 seconds maybe).
    I knew it was terminal. I called a flat bed and towed it home. I started it once it was in the garage for about 10 seconds just to confirm and shut it back down.
    Just that little amount of run time, and I have shiny metal flakes all throughout the oil, laying up in top of the cylinder heads (I pulled the covers) so it's in every nook and cranny, and the engine was run less than a minute. Doesn't take long really.

If there is something terminal going on, you should be able to find it in the filter the easiest.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Catastrophic failures simply happen -- no warning, no reason, just how it is in most cases. Also, unless you have owned your car since it was new, you really have no idea how a prior owner drove it or cared for it. First thing with a junkyard engine is its mileage and external appearance. Inspect the harness and connectors for damage, look for oil or coolant leaks, look for any signs of it being dropped or impacted (if it is already out of the vehicle), and then start checking out the internals -- open the oil fill cap and look inside and also at the bottom of the cap. Sludge or brown gunk generally means long oil change intervals or short runs in which the engine hasn't fully come up to temperature. Look inside the throttle body and ensure that there is no debris. It is common for this to appear oily and black on LS1 engines as the stock PCV system pulls oil into the intake. Pull some spark plugs -- preferably all of them -- and inspect them for signs of detonation, burning oil or other maladies. You can find a good spark plug chart on the internet with a quick Google search. Lastly, make sure the engine actually rolls over. Do this with the spark plugs out so it is not building compression. You can squirt a teaspoon of oil into each spark plug hole to lube the bores before doing this. Not a bad idea as you have no idea how long it has been since the engine was started. It'll take some muscle, but the engine should turn over freely through at least 2 full revolutions of the crank.

Yes.
    bunch of them

How are you in PC with an LSx T/A and I haven't met you? Shoot me some contact info and I'll lend a hand.
    2002 WS6 M6 454 LSx
    2000 Camaro SS M6
    2000 WS6 M6->A4
    2004 Silverado SS
    2004 GTO A4
    2002 Grand Prix GTP sdn
    2006 Envoy Denali
    1999 GMC Slonoma
    1999 "Project LS10"
    1996 Impala SS
    www.panamacitylsx.com

Red
    02 T/A WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 02 WS6 TA View Post
    How are you in PC with an LSx T/A and I haven't met you? Shoot me some contact info and I'll lend a hand.
    I hardly go into town for anything. Nice to see another fbody owner in the area!

Yes.
    bunch of them

There's more of us lurking around than you might think!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information