Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Spark plugs & wires gain HP?

Well, I'm saving for my next mod (which will most likely be a Magnaflow cat-back), but I have a quick question. I have been told that supposively, spark plugs and wires make you gain HP...this to me sounds a bit weird. A spark is a spark, doesn't matter if it's a big or small one, the sole purpose is to ignite (which it does or youll throw SES codes for misfire). How could this "mod" possibly give you performance???

Also, a quick peice of info. For the 6 months I have been getting 14-15 MPG, and after a sea-foam and fuel filter change I have seen DRASTIC mileage improvement. Will spark plugs also help me gain a few MPG?

black
    92 Sonoma GT

sparks plugs can help you gain horspower but not a very noticeable amount you have to have the air and feul to go with it to make them actually make bigger improvements.

yes, spark plugs will get you better gas mileage but only if you have older spark plugs with a lot of miles on them.

millenium yellow
    2002 corvette Z06

dont look at it like gaining HP, but possibly getting back stolen HP from bad plugs.
    315rwhp 98 SILVER Z28 (3500lbs)- SOLD
    400rwhp 99 HUGGER SS (3375lbs)- SOLD
    340rwhp 02 YELLOW Z06 (3040lbs)

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by M6HUGGERSS
    dont look at it like gaining HP, but possibly getting back stolen HP from bad plugs.
    What he said. Spark plugs and new wires won't give you more power. In my opinion the only reason you should change wires is if you have a crapload of miles or have burnt through one, otherwise it seems unnecessary.

93 Notchback

Quote Originally Posted by keliente
    What he said. Spark plugs and new wires won't give you more power. In my opinion the only reason you should change wires is if you have a crapload of miles or have burnt through one, otherwise it seems unnecessary.
    Not exactly. I put Nitrous on my 01' SS at 1,000 miles. I changed the plugs to Tr6's with a .035 gap and also installed taylor 10.4 mm racing wires. It gained 7 rwhp just my doing plugs and wires. the TB mod is a waste. It cost me 3 rwhp and made the car run a bit rich.
    Sold- 2001 SS 11.87 @120.5 Mph 465 rwhp 613 ft lbs of tq (gas).NOW: 93 5.0 Notchback, 347 stroker daily driver with A/C and P/S. Lentech Tranny 3000 stall, MT Drag radials. 11.91@113 on motor.-10.90's @ 123(1.51 60'), on a little 75 dry shot. 345 rwhp(motor)- 426 rwhp on gas.

red
    99 C5

Quote Originally Posted by keliente
    Hello, my first post here!

What would you consider high mileage, I have a 99 C5 with 6speed, at 65,000 miles, it feels like it's not as powerful as it once was.

I pulled spark plugs, NGK, and they looked ok, when/should I replace the plugs and wires?

93 Notchback

Quote Originally Posted by drfeelgood65chevy
    Hello, my first post here!

What would you consider high mileage, I have a 99 C5 with 6speed, at 65,000 miles, it feels like it's not as powerful as it once was.

I pulled spark plugs, NGK, and they looked ok, when/should I replace the plugs and wires?
    Go get you a set of racing wires-- about $100. run a set of ngk tr55's or tr6's .set to the stock gap or close it in about .005 more. then go fill up with high octane gas (93).

nc98z
    I just change a set of plugs and wires. The car had 99.000 miles on it. They were the original plugs and besides being .100 gap they looked pretty good. But I picked up 5mpg when I did it.

Thread Information