Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

blue
    2002 Trans Am

spark plugs and wires

my 02 T/A has almost 110K miles on it and have not even drove 1K mile, but wanted to go ahead and replace the spark plugs and also wonder if upgrading the spark plug wires would be worth doing also. Also what would be the best replacement spark plug to go with?
    I am the kind of guy that if its not going to do anything better than factory, then I would just rather save the money and use it on something else. If there is a better spark plug out there for stock replacement and almost stock T/A then I would like to get those and same with the spark plug wires, if the stock ones are fine, then no need to upgrade to something else, but if there are better ones, what would be the brand to use?

Thanks and God Bless

ASh

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by ASh302 View Post
    my 02 T/A has almost 110K miles on it and have not even drove 1K mile, but wanted to go ahead and replace the spark plugs and also wonder if upgrading the spark plug wires would be worth doing also. Also what would be the best replacement spark plug to go with?
    I am the kind of guy that if its not going to do anything better than factory, then I would just rather save the money and use it on something else. If there is a better spark plug out there for stock replacement and almost stock T/A then I would like to get those and same with the spark plug wires, if the stock ones are fine, then no need to upgrade to something else, but if there are better ones, what would be the brand to use?

Thanks and God Bless

ASh
    didnt you say your car has a blower or was that somebody else? because that can change the recommendations.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    didnt you say your car has a blower or was that somebody else? because that can change the recommendations.
    that was someone else.
    only thing I have that will be on soon or is on
    k&n drop in air filter
    DiabloSport Intune
    SLP LM1 Cat-back system

I ran a D1sc on my 04 Mach, so I understand going with a different spark plug for F/I apps

ASh

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Im mot sure how the Delco plugs do because Ive never used them. On the other hand, I jave replaced my plugs twice. The first time I went from TR55s to Autolites. Saw no difference. Then I switched to TR5s (not 55s) and gained about 40 miles of fuel economy per full tank. Of course, there are no horsepower gains with plugs.

I have switched from stock wires to MSD wires. MSDs look nice. Cant say I notice any difference in the way the car drives... but there could be a diference in spark quality, if the stock wires do not provide enough juice to make a really good spark...... maybe.... (?)

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

NGK TR55's are a great choice along with MSD wires.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    NGK TR55's are a great choice along with MSD wires.
    how is this? looks to be discount cuz of combo

Removed link due to non-sponsor

ws6store

I already saw the PITA the number 8 spark plug can be, but watch a pretty good video on how to get to it,
    I am not looking for HP gain out of doing this, just a Tune up and would lie to add MPG if anything gained.

ASh
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 12-11-2014 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Non Sponsor link

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

That's a good deal. I am running Granatelli wires and NGK plugs but for your mods that combo you posted will do just fine. The Granatelli wires are much pricier but I like them much better personally. I have had MSD too which is a very good budget or best bang for your buck wire.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

damn...Im glad the he posted that ws6 link because that is a good deal.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by ASh302 View Post
    how is this? looks to be discount cuz of combo

Removed link due to non-sponsor

ws6store

I already saw the PITA the number 8 spark plug can be, but watch a pretty good video on how to get to it,
    I am not looking for HP gain out of doing this, just a Tune up and would lie to add MPG if anything gained.

ASh
    Ash, I had to remove the direct link because they are not a sponsor for the site. You can say where and all just no direct links. And for the record I use them a lot.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Ash, I had to remove the direct link because they are not a sponsor for the site. You can say where and all just no direct links. And for the record I use them a lot.
    Ok sorry, learning the rules
    ws6project is where the spark plug and wire combo is

ASh

blue
    2002 Trans Am

in Jan I'll be placing the order if not before. for sure want to get the combo, thanks guys for all the feedback
    I got that link from somewhere else is how I found that combo deal

ASh

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Some tips: Get a tube of dielectric grease and squirt a dab into each boot before installation. On the plugs you should hear/feel one "click" when you install the wire and on the coil packs two "clicks". Plugs are torqued to 11 lb.ft. (which isn't a whole lot) and some anti-seize on the threads is a good thing.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Some tips: Get a tube of dielectric grease and squirt a dab into each boot before installation. On the plugs you should hear/feel one "click" when you install the wire and on the coil packs two "clicks". Plugs are torqued to 11 lb.ft. (which isn't a whole lot) and some anti-seize on the threads is a good thing.
    thank you sir for the tip, always helpful having them
    Now the key is remembering them, lol

ASh

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

OP, if you're looking for improved fuel economy, try the NGK Iridium IX TR5s (Not 55s... I think those might be discontinued... not sure). They improved my fuel economy by a noticeable amount.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    OP, if you're looking for improved fuel economy, try the NGK Iridium IX TR5s (Not 55s... I think those might be discontinued... not sure). They improved my fuel economy by a noticeable amount.
    I will do, I just like the combo price, but if it improves that much, then it should pay for itself
    Will check them out

ASh

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I run Iridiums in our Suburban. About $5 more per plug but you get a 100,000 mile change interval.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I have run both types of plugs copper and Iridiums and my thoughts are performance wise copper are better especially when you are getting into some pretty serious mods but for a DD with a few bolt ons either will do the job. I am also paranoid so I change my plugs every couple years at the most no matter what they are so for me anything other than cooper would be a waste. It has also been my experience the price difference between the two equals out but with Iridiums you just buy the one and you should be good for the 100k miles whereas copper you would change your plugs a couple of times. It also comes down to how many miles you put on your car whether it is worth the price or not. Mine only gets driven about 1000 a year so I would never have to change the Iridiums in my lifetime but being who I am I would want to change them every couple or every year regardless so copper is a better choice for me.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

I will be driving the car a lot, lots of highway miles put on each year

ASh

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Pretty much what Will said is why I also went with the copper core plugs rather than Iridiums in our Trans Am.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

I went ahead and order the NGK TR55 and MSD spark plug wire combo from ws6project
    Just add it to the list of things that have to get done

ASh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information