Blue
    02 Trans Am WS6

Sound Coming From Motor

I have this sound coming from the motor that started off light, went away and now its back and louder then before. It makes a light tick tick tick sound at idle but then gets increasingly louder when im in gear. Its loudest in 2nd gear. I heard from a friend it could be a valve tap. If it was what would i have to do just tighten it or replace it? It sounds like something it slapping or rattling. I no its a problem because i dont listen to the radio when i drive i listen to the car and i no for a fact it never made that sound till this past week and half. I say this because ive heard from someone that the ls1's always makes some sort of sound. By the way the oil level is fine and it was changed less then 300 miles ago. Anyone have any ideas?

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Exhaust leaks often sound just like a tapping noise - loose plug wires too. Try to isolate where it is coming from.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

+1 Check these items first and also see if you have a spark plug that maybe loosened up. Unless you bent a push rod, its probably not the valve train making the noise. Our cars do have an inherent noise level both from both piston slap at cold start up and valve train clatter at idle -- just part of owning an LS1.

Blue
    02 Trans Am WS6

The plugs are tight didnt check the plugs yet i will be within this next week. My uncle did some old school trick and said he hears it coming from cylinder #1 and possibly from the intake manifold. He said the valve could just be loose. If oil got into the manifold it wouldnt make any type of noise would it? If so what catch can should i use?

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

No it won't make the noise. There are sveral good catch cans - do a search. I use the AMW and am very happy with the quality. If your uncle has narrowed it down to number 1, pull the valve cover, check the springs, rocker bolt, and rocker. Some of the rockers have dropped needle bearings and that of course makes them noisy.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Unless you are losing oil but sucking it through the pcc system a catch can is not needed.

Rule out a loose plug or wire arcing first. Also rule out an exhaust leak. This will get louder as the car is under load and accelerates. You can also hear it with the hood open reving the engine. Maybe a cheap mechanics stethescope can isolate the noise. If it is in the bottom have heard wrist pins get noisy.

Then pull a valve cover and look. Needle bearings as mentioned, loose rocker by bolt backing off maybe. If you have bounced the rev limiter lately maybe a bent PR.

white
    01 formula

exhaust leak, bent push rod, wrist pin, rod bearings, main bearings, could be a lot of things maybe a vid or sound clip of the sound could really narrow it down.

Blue
    02 Trans Am WS6

Thanks guys for the advice ive been real busy havnt got a chance to look at it started the police academy and work full time but anyway ill try to get a video off and i never bounce my rpms to bend the push rod. I'll pull the cover off and check the rocker and everything under the valve cover. I checked the wires but not the plugs. Dont no how to check for an exhaust leak but my guess would be to run my hand down the piping and if air comes out its a leak but not sure so if someone can let me no if im rite or maybe an easier way that would b cool.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

You can always just take it to a muffler shop. They'll check for exhaust leaks for free usually.

Thread Information