Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So it Begins

Black
    2000 Z28

So it Begins

Well, after owning the car for 3 years and 11 months, and planning on it all along, I finally had the money set aside to do a couple mods. The list:

Rapid Dominator Series Cam Kit
    Rapid Ported LS6 Oil Pump
    GM HD Timing Chain
    SLP 160* T-Stat
    Power Bond 25% U/D Balancer with Belts
    NGK TR-55 Spark Plugs
    Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust
    SLP LS1 Air Lid
    LS6 85mm MAF with Adaptor
    2001+ Coolant Pipe Kit
    ARH 1-3/4"SS Headers
    ARH Off-Road Y Pipe - 3"
    O2 Harness Extension

The guy at the shop put more or less this same list onto an 01 SS and got 429/404 out of it. So since that had the LS6 intake vs mine, I'm setting my expectations at about 410/400 at the wheels.

Total cost including labor: 5500

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I have tuned a few setups that came from Mike at Rapid, and he built some good engines in those cars. I'd say that you are in good hands.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

400+ on stock heads? What's the specs on that cam?

Black
    2000 Z28

He won't give them out. I've seen him post on other boards and people always ask him for his cam specs and he always remains mum on the subject.

I just got off the phone with him about an hour ago, and he told me most of the parts came today. While we were talking he said he put the same grind cam into an 04 Z06 and it put down 440 when he tuned it last week. He said that my 410 expectation will almost certainly be realized.

Actually, Frost, you had posted the same thing in a thread a while back, and it was some part of my choosing to go with Rapid over another local shop. That and Rapid is a strict LS shop, and the other guy was more of a Ford guy (though his 800+ rwhp Ford GT was pretty F'in sweet).

Car goes in Wed and I should have it back Monday at the latest. Today was the first day of the spring where I took it out with the T-Tops off. It is safe to say I'm excited.

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

Happy times.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

That LS1 intake is likely going to hurt you more than you are thinking, but I could be wrong. There are a few cams that I have consistently made over 400rwhp cam-only with, and they are relatively large. That 400rwtq will be hard with stock static compression and stock ports. I'm less optimistic about that.

Things were a little odd for me getting started tuning, the first 4-5 cars I did were all FI. The first N/A car I ever tuned was one that Mike built the engine for... 40X" stroker, AFR 225 heads, Comp 24x/25x cam, Fast90/90. The converter was loose and wouldn't lock on the dyno and it caused very very low dyno numbers. First pass though, on stock 17" TA wheels and drag radials, new setup with no adjustments, leaving off idle, the car ran 11.0x @ 125! Here we are years later and that car is still running strong and from what I hear, still regularly ruining 4l60s.

Black
    2000 Z28

Well, I dropped the car off last night. I should have it back Friday night or Saturday. I don't think I was this interested in the proceedings when I went to settlement on my house.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

it's exciting for sure. You're gonna be blown away when you get the car back. You'll have the eternal grins for a few weeks.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Have to start throwing some suspension parts at it next!!!

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Black
    2000 Z28

Thats the plan. That and to get the scratches and scrapes that it's taken over the years fixed up. Poor thing has been hit in parking lots and shit more times than I can count. I guess I just have bad luck like that.

Red
    1999 WS6

Nice numbers

Black
    2000 Z28

For all the naysayers out there...

Got a call from my mechanic while I was at work today. Car hit the dyno late this morning, did 402/397. A few HP lower than I was hoping for, but I guess that LS1 intake, as some of you suggested, was more restrictive than I thought.

I will post graphs later once I get the car home and have the graphs in hand to scan.

Red
    1999 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by gashkerwin View Post
    Got a call from my mechanic while I was at work today. Car hit the dyno late this morning, did 402/397. A few HP lower than I was hoping for, but I guess that LS1 intake, as some of you suggested, was more restrictive than I thought.

I will post graphs later once I get the car home and have the graphs in hand to scan.
    Here you go:

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

That's one hell of a dyno run! A/F ratio stayed perfect. I want to meet this tuner!!!!

Red
    1999 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    The first N/A car I ever tuned was one that Mike built the engine for... 40X" stroker, AFR 225 heads, Comp 24x/25x cam, Fast90/90. The converter was loose and wouldn't lock on the dyno and it caused very very low dyno numbers. First pass though, on stock 17" TA wheels and drag radials, new setup with no adjustments, leaving off idle, the car ran 11.0x @ 125! Here we are years later and that car is still running strong and from what I hear, still regularly ruining 4l60s.
    Hey Frost, whose car was this? I've done so many motors over the years I can't recall who that one is.

Black
    2000 Z28

Well... it was going to need new tires in 2 months anyway to pass inspection... so no harm no foul there at least I guess.

As for the a/f ratio, I had the car dynoed at a different shop a few months ago to get a baseline before I did any mods, and my A/F stayed just about perfect then too. Which actually elicited a comment from the guy at the shop saying that its usually not that nice of a graph.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    Hey Frost, whose car was this? I've done so many motors over the years I can't recall who that one is.

It was done for John Mclaughlin in northwest va. He unfortunately had to part with the car shortly after it was together, and I went with the soon-to-be-owner of the car to check it out. John is a great guy and put together a great ride. Actually, 22 year old girl owns this car now. Here is a pic of me driving the car at MIR

This car is begging for a 250 DP setup and a 4l80. It doesn't need anything else at all except for maybe more cage

Red
    1999 WS6

Yes, I know John. Wow, I can't believe he sold the car. That poor fellow has had his share of challenges.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Yeah he's a heck of a good guy, this was several years back. He has a new ride now

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Yeah he's a heck of a good guy, this was several years back. He has a new ride now

Thread Information