so is the 418 a good way to go.

This is a discussion on so is the 418 a good way to go. within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I am about to be going on a deployment and i decided i am going to beef up my 99 ...

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

so is the 418 a good way to go.

I am about to be going on a deployment and i decided i am going to beef up my 99 camaro along with my bud tony. He was looking at a 402, and me the 418. Anybody have one of these monsters in their car?
    I was thinking f.i., but i decided to go for large displacement n/a. I want to obtain 550 rwhp and then have a 150 shot on the side just incase.
    Anybody had any experience with the 418, it's the aluminum block out of the escalade.

teal

so i take it that nobody here has a 418 or ever seen one???

Ultimate nothing

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I have heard and read about it, the L92 block with a 4.0 stroke crank and 4.080" bore (I think)

What sort of money are you looking to spend? You can build up a pretty sick 402/L92/L76 combo for a pretty good price. The 418 is more expensive, and it's more about bragging rights...

teal

actually the 418 is a new aluminum block that debuted in the 2007 escalade and denali. It comes from the factory with a 4.065" bore then they combo it with a 4" crank and 6.125" rods.
    It is maybe only a few more hundred dollars for a built 418, plus it is aluminum!
    I'm looking between 9 and 10. That should cover everything for the build, long block, heads, intake, injectors, everything. I don't want to go 402 because that is what my friend is building. I just wondering if anybody has slapped one of these suckas into their car. It really is not much more exspensive than building a 402.

Ultimate nothing

Black
    2000 Trans Am

The Escalade and Denali have the L92 engine, which has a 3.622 stroke for a total of 6.2L of displacement. Or are you saying you can take one and add a crank, rods, and pistons to it for a 418? Sounds like a good deal, but I don't personally know of anyone that's done it yet.

have you thought about a 408 iron block? if you're planning on running a big shot of nitrous that might be a good way to go. I looked into Texas Speeds 418 when i was deciding which engine to do. They persuaded me to stick with the iron block on account of the juice.

teal

Quote Originally Posted by cam02ss View Post
    have you thought about a 408 iron block? if you're planning on running a big shot of nitrous that might be a good way to go. I looked into Texas Speeds 418 when i was deciding which engine to do. They persuaded me to stick with the iron block on account of the juice.
    so i take it you have an iron 408. Hmmm...... How much power did you put to the wheel with 408 n/a. The 408 is cheaper than the 418 build also. I don't want anything less than 520 n/a. I am also looking at going through texas speed.

Quote Originally Posted by zero_proto View Post
    so i take it you have an iron 408. Hmmm...... How much power did you put to the wheel with 408 n/a. The 408 is cheaper than the 418 build also. I don't want anything less than 520 n/a. I am also looking at going through texas speed.
    the motor is being put in as we speak. i'm guessing you are an m6? mine is a 6 speed as well so i'm hoping for 515-520 rwhp. the 408 is a ltitle less expensive than the 418 but you're still going to spending major cash. i had looked into doing cubes as big as 441, etc. but as much as i like driving my car the longevity of the block would have been compromised. if you are going FI, then aluminum would be a good way to go. big nitrous shot...iron block

teal

the motor is being put in as we speak. i'm guessing you are an m6? mine is a 6 speed as well so i'm hoping for 515-520 rwhp. the 408 is a ltitle less expensive than the 418 but you're still going to spending major cash. i had looked into doing cubes as big as 441, etc. but as much as i like driving my car the longevity of the block would have been compromised. if you are going FI, then aluminum would be a good way to go. big nitrous shot...iron block
    yup i am an m6. Well i'm going to leave mine at a shop before i go, but i want to figure what i want to drop in it before i leave. Post up once you dyno your monster. I'm curious.

sure thing, i'll keep you up to date

Black
    01 WS6

Very nice set-up

motor is in, just waiting for the elbow to be completed for the VJ intake. should be running next week sometime.

teal

motor is in, just waiting for the elbow to be completed for the VJ intake. should be running next week sometime.
    cool........
    are you going to dyno her once you get her running???

Thread Information