slp oil pump???

This is a discussion on slp oil pump??? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; hey guys -- in th e process of puting my new slp double roller timing chain and oil pump in ...

black
    2000 camaro ss

slp oil pump???

hey guys -- in th e process of puting my new slp double roller timing chain and oil pump in and i have a question. does the center part of the pump that has the key way cut in it slide in from the front or the back of the pump? This may sound like a dumb question but I'm sure someone here has installed one of these. Basically the pump has 2 parts and the inner part that slides onto the crankshaft goes on in front of or on the back side of the pump. i called slp and they said it didn't matter which way you put it on but will only go in so far on either side thus leaving a portion of it sticking out (nearly hitting the timing chain if put in from the back). Any info would be great thanks.

CAMARO not Maro asshead! HASTINGSRJ's Avatar

Black/Gray
    00 SS Vert#0540/ 03 GMC

you can only put an oil pump on one way

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I installed an SLP oil pump once.

The piece of shit fell apart (thankfully before I ever got the front cover on). The threads that the oil pick up tube bolt uses just came out...under an intense amount of finger tightening pressure.
    SLP wouldn't back it. Charged me to ship it to them, handling, and to ship it back to me. All in all...SLP hit me for $220 on a worthless $170 part.

black
    2000 camaro ss

I know the pump will only bolt up one way but the center peice will go in from the front or the backside of the pump but it will only go in about 3/4 of the way. it has groves on the outside of it that turns the pump. If i put it on the inside theres nothing to keep it from moving back and forth thus maby coming into contact with my lower timing chain gear. If its slid on after the pumps inplace it looks as if its sticking out to far but the underdrive pulley would keep it from moving around. I think it goes on the outside but i dont know for sure.

CAMARO not Maro asshead! HASTINGSRJ's Avatar

Black/Gray
    00 SS Vert#0540/ 03 GMC

the oil pump stays in place, when you put the bolts back in it, also when you attatch the pick up tube to the oil pump itself....again, there is only 1 way it goes on.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...aro/index.html
    Black 00 SS M6, vert, #0540 414 C.I. iron block 501hp 448tq -slipping clutch
    old times 11.39@123 tuned by RPM
    11.49run

DD 03 GMC Sierra, Durmax CCSB 2500, 17" XD's, 5" tubo back exhaust, AFE intake, EFI Live, DSP5, 3" body lift, tuned by Diesel Addiction 347hp 645tq

rwhp.us

black
    2000 camaro ss

I think you may have installed a different brand than slp. Its in 2 parts. the pump bolts on the block 1 way as does the pick up tube but the slp pump does not make contact with crankshaft. There is a sleeve that goes inside the pump (between the gears that turn the pump and the crankshaft) . It slides on the crankshaft and is notched out for the key way as well as sliding inside the pump. however it wont slide all the way through the pump because it has groves that only allows it to go so far. I don't know if you put it on !st and then slide the pump over it or the pump goes !st. I hope this makes a little more since. I think the pump goes on 1st???

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Sounds like an issue of the double roller not fitting with that oil pump.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I have heard nothing but bad things about double rollers having issues with oil pumps. I am going single chain all the way on my build.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

15 sec. Oh yeah, its fast UTVols98's Avatar

maroon
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Sounds like an issue of the double roller not fitting with that oil pump.
    Exactly, you had to buy the double roller oil pump from them if you are running a double roller chain. Otherwise, the chains wouldn't clear the pump. SLP oil pumps aren't all that great. I've got the HD pump and the damn thing wouldn't even fit under the timing cover. I had to do a lot of grinding to get it to finally fit. Haven't had any mechanical issues though. Just a lot of fitment issues and I've heard the same thing from a lot of other people.
    2000 Z28: Accufab 4150, Vic Jr. 150 shot, Patriot stg 2 heads, big cam, FLT Stg VI 4L60, S60 rear. Waaay more stuff to list. 3100 LBS.

black
    2000 camaro ss

ok.. i think i figured it out now. the factory lower timing chain gear has the "slots" built in it that runs the oil pump. Going with a double roller setup means i cant use the factory lower timing chain gear. With that being said slp has a 2 peice system 1 being the new lower timing chain gear and 2 being a bushing that turns the oil pump. I still dont know if it goes on in front of the oil pump or behind it. slp says it dont matter BUT it wont slide all the way through because the slots are only machined 3/4 of the way down (the slots that turn the pump NOT the key way slot). I wish i could post pics!!

Black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am

I just helped my buddy put one on his '06 GTO. He put the center piece on first then slid the pump over it. A couple things to remember when you put that thing on is 1. the pickup tube has to be installed flush inside the pump. He put the O ring on the tube instead of putting it inside the pump, because people were having problems with it rolling out of place when they were installing the pickup tube. 2. you have to center the gear on the center peice, there has to be .002 gap around it.

There is another more dificult way to do it too.

black
    2000 camaro ss

thanx thats what i thought. did you guys have to do any grinding on it to get the front cover to clear?

Black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am

No we didn't, but that might the difference between a LS1 and a LS2 though. I know the oil pans are different on the GTO's (they have a front sump on them) not sure if the covers are different or not. I'd imagine that they are pretty much the same though. I guess you'll never really know till you go to put the cover back on.

When you do get to that point and it does need to be grinded on you'll prolly need to fix something else i.e. windshield, fender, hood, ect., ect. because your prolly going to pretty worked up by time you get everything set up to put the cover on, lol. My buddy was starting to get irrate. He had that thing on and off like 5 times.

black
    2000 camaro ss

yea thats about my luck too. the damn pick up tube it a bitch i dropped the bolt in the oil pan while i was taking the old pump off . It took a magnet to get her back out! ill get it though i just mess around with it on the weekends. I cant wait to drop the clutch that bitch it seem like its been forever since i drove it.

White
    2001 Z28

Gaskets

I have a double row chain and a high volume oil pump(Not SLP). It comes with the spacers to make it fit. It will all work if you have the right parts and careful assembly.
    Then you might have a new problem: oil leaks. The increased oil pressure can force oil out of any weak spot in your gaskets. I found this out the hard way.
    Use Felpro gaskets and carefully tighten your gaskets to factory specs with a torque wrench. Be especially careful with the pan gasket. This is a PITA to fix on an f-body.

White
    99Trans am

i think that is why i have a ticking noise i didnt shave my timing cover i have slp double roller and slp hf oil pump but i would return that stuff back and keep it simple ( ls2 timing chain ls6 porter oil pump) oh and dont forget to use lock tight on the cam gear bolts unless you want to do the work twice like i did.

black
    2000 camaro ss

i bought all new gm gaskets(i hope theres no leaks) . Ive put locktight on everything that howtols1 .com said to so far. As far as that oilpan goes if it leaks ill take it somewhere and have a new one put on. no way would i try to replace it myself. What part if any has to be shaved off ? the bolts on the front of the pump?

15 sec. Oh yeah, its fast UTVols98's Avatar

maroon
    2000 Z28

No, not the bolts. Shave the corners of the pump. Be careful though not to shave too much.

Thread Information