Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

sleeper set up - what do we all think???

This is a discussion on sleeper set up - what do we all think??? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; you really have no need for a cut out and i dont think you should waste youre money on a ...

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

you really have no need for a cut out and i dont think you should waste youre money on a bullet simply because who knows if it will help with doing away with rasp. hell, it could make even more rasp.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

well the header back exhaust has is coming off my friends '00 SS & already has the cut out
    i'm just adding the bullet

i know the bullet gets rid of the rasp similar as cats do since another friend had LT's ORY thru a magnaflow & added the bullet to quiet the rasp & it worked (which is currently on my car)
    he has ls6 swaped into his hawk w. 232 dur cam

flat black
    PATRIOT DOES NOT MAKE A 62cc chamber Chamber choices:59,64,68,72, unless you plan on having a custom head ground...and if you have a custom head ground you better be sure you can flow 300 cfm @ 28" of water else that cam wont do you any good... on top of that you better be sure you can get that much air into your intake

I have a ported and polished TB that i flowed on a flowbench and it flowed 772 cfm @ 28"(calculated), but my intake plenum and runners are ported and all the intake and exhaust ports have been portmatched to their respective components...also

be careful what springs you run...the LS6 springs coil bind @ .575 lift if you have a cam is too big for the springs bad move...you need to call the cam co. for the right springs...the more lift the harder and faster you need to slam the valves closed...after you know your seat pressure you need to call the head co. and make sure the seats that they use will not get pounded out because of your spring pressure...more importantly pay for a good valve job...the factory valves come with a 3 angle, i would sugest a 4 ...if a 5 angle is not cut perfectly it can cause a sealing issue. make sure the metals you use are compatible...if you run titanium valves you can not run iron seats...the iron seats will hammer the valves...if you run too soft a valve you titanium will either gall or hammer out the seats...make sure your components are compatible

also figure out what RPM range you want to run in... if your running that big of a cam i assume you plan on spinning that motor well over 6000 RPM in which i assume your not plan on running a hydraulic roller as they tend to start pumping up after about 6500...

another is your choice of header...a long tube is not a very good choice in my opinion but once again it tells me you are planning for a very hi RPM powerband as the header does not scavenge well at low RPM. even though it makes power look at what you are comparing it too...you are comparing it to the factory manifolds...take a motor and make comparison test between LT shorties and mids and the mids will pull the best power between 3000-6500 the longer the header the more RPM its meant for

another is your choice of tailpipe make sure you have enough velocity coming off your heads... take out your primary 02 on the dr side it is the closest to the head...hook up a vacuum gauge if it reads positive(Pressure) you have backpressure. if it reads 0 you have no pressure but not vacuum either...if your pipes are too big it will kill the velocity...the biggest mistake is too go too big of a pipe sure it gets rid of backpressure and it flows well but your not scavenging the cylinders vary well and your leaving a lot to be desired out of your exhaust system

last thing is make sure with that big a cam and the head gasket choice that you still have P/V clearance i would recommend a minimum of .060 you dont want to risk floating a valve after doing all this work

black

what the fuck are you talking about , big cam??
    its a mild cam. big cam = magic stick.
    his cam has been around for quite awhile and zero issues of pumping up as you call it.
    i have a bigger cam and has zero issues.

its a well know fact that long tube headers make better power threwout the whole powerband compared to any other header size.

this isnt the first post you have babbled a bunch of bullshit about headers.
    use search, that alone will show you that long tubes make better power than all others.
    while you may lose alittle tq down low, its doesnt matter because you gain it all back and then some real fast. hes stalled so he will feel no tq lose at all.

blk
    1998 LS1

newb... testing 123

blk
    1998 LS1

yes

black

Quote Originally Posted by Bad30th
    Read the exhaust FAQ.

There is a posted dyno in there that shows Mac mids to be within 5-8rwhp of long tubes across the board.

Here :

Rob (Bad30th)
    heres some info
    Last edited by nhraformula; 01-28-2007 at 06:57 PM.

black

i made 30 rwho on speed inc dyno, dammit, i cant find the chart. that was going from stock manifolds to long tubes and orp

flat black
    well good to know that im not talking over you head sense im the newb and all
    learn how a 4 stroke engine works and makes power before you start lecturing me...infact actually use a flowbench instead of just reading a dyno chart...just because it says it makes power doest mean it works...we test a lots of cup engines and components on a dyno in controlled conditions and when we get to the track they dont work at all...a dyno is not the begin all end all...if you think you know it all then you need to go back to school and learn some more...just because the you dont consider the cam big doesnt mean its not too big for what the engine can do for it...parts must work together...sure you can increase small amounts of power something is better than nothing but if learn how the engine works and how the air flows you will be able to make much more power...here tell me if im wrong on this...the reason why the intake ports are designed the way they are is that the tall ports can carry the same volume as the SB2 heads, but the reason why they are narrow is for the increased velocity in the ports. how can you measure what someone else knows or doesnt know when you ask what they are even talking about...if you knew what i was talking about you would already know...just cause you guys can by a big lopy cam doesnt mean its good for you...you may want to thump around it looks cool but its not effective... a nascar motor uses on avg a 274/278 .409 lift at the valve they dont lope...but they can also use the power because theyre powerband is between 5000-9500+
    so now we have tall and narrow port that carry lots of flow and velocity...now we choose a good header that will either help increase the scavengine abilities of the engine a larger diameter primary will carry great volume of air but they are relying on the increased RPM to supply the proper amount of airflow to scavenge the other cylinders at the collector...a smaller primary has the ability to carry more velocity but it also has a greater choke point...you mention header size...but now are you talking about header shape size or deminsion furthermore have you done any testing or are you just reading what someone else prints...can you tell me if you please sense im the newb what would make more torque for my engine...
    -a step tube header w/ a long collector
    -a step tube header w/ a short collector
    -shorty headers

black

people are using proven combos that have already been tested years ago by the ls1 tuners like thunder and tsp for example.
    this isnt 7 years ago when the ls1 was still new and cams were in the testing faze.
    i personally have not done testing because there is no reason to, its been tested again and again.
    you can say i tested my headers, cam and such on the dyno.
    guess what, not only did the new upgrades make power on the dyno, they also lowered e.t and increased trap.

whenever i have done modding, my car was taken to speed inc and they hooked me up with the proven product where they have had dyno numbers and real world street performance.
    LS1s are not some mystery motors that need to be tested. this site and ls1tech have more that enough info for product.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

lol, that guy said nascars dont have a lopey sound. hahahaha, I can hear the lope, even with the high ass LSA. Longtubes are proven. Nuff said. The whole bit about the 4 stroke crap is just babble, we are not impressed. Like said before a 224/220 cam is not big at all. Nor is it too big for what the motor was meant for, the power band for such a cam would be around 1600-6200, which I would think is pretty good powerband range. change the springs and you could probably leave everything else stock and it would run and drive fine. To each their own opinion, if you like mids then by all means run mids. But to 1BADDLS1 I think your set will be all you are hoping for possibly more, perhaps think about getting a ported LS6 oil pump and LS2 timing chain also if they are not on your list.
    Last edited by Wheeler99WS6; 01-29-2007 at 09:50 AM.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler99WS6 View Post
    perhaps think about getting a ported LS6 oil pump and LS2 timing chain also if they are not on your list.

being shipped as we speak

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

as far as im concerned i know of a handful of people who has run very similar set ups and have had sucess as much as 420+ rwhp & 11.2's trapping 120+ mph

i dont expect that much but its already been done - im going more budget & not squeezing as much out of the set up but the little gain isnt worth it for me @ this time

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

67 Tempest, click the pic mullenh's Avatar

click avatar
    1967 pontiac

that cam was designed for stock heads and good exhaust. your heads are an upgrade in flow and do not need the intake bias. i am sure the cam you have will work just fine you just won't see the improvement potential of the head upgrade.

Ratdaddy07
    Slighly on the side of the subject but I don't get the sleeper thing. I want you to know I'm gonna smoke your ass, right before I smoke your ass. I guess I'm in the minority with that.

Silver
    2002 Z28

I run Longtube, ORY, 2 cutouts, and Stock Z28 exhaust, very quiet....

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by mullenh View Post
    that cam was designed for stock heads and good exhaust. your heads are an upgrade in flow and do not need the intake bias. i am sure the cam you have will work just fine you just won't see the improvement potential of the head upgrade.
    maybe your thinking of Thunder Racings CHeaTR cam... which was designed with for stock heads & manifolds

not the MTI Stealth II

also stealth II really needs higher compression to achieve potential

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Ratdaddy07 View Post
    Slighly on the side of the subject but I don't get the sleeper thing. I want you to know I'm gonna smoke your ass, right before I smoke your ass. I guess I'm in the minority with that.

Ratdaddy07
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BADDLS1 View Post

Damn was the finger necessary? Trying to add a little levity to the situation the posts above were as to often happens here getting not only heated but personal. Oh well, but the statement still stands just one mans opinion. You see that one works so much better, has a little humor to it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information