Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Short block selection

This is a discussion on Short block selection within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; You are lucky that your warranty company is letting you shop around. Most companies just fix what is broken or ...

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

You are lucky that your warranty company is letting you shop around. Most companies just fix what is broken or will put in a used engine. Sounds like a good company.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Blue
    2002 camaro z28

Thanks again guys good to know some of you are near by. Do you really think it will need tuned though? We are only talking 20 cubic inches and lq4 has dished pistons so with my cam and heads it would probably even out. If I bored a stock 350 out .60 over to a 360 and changed nothing I wouldn't have to change the carb. But like I said I really don't know much about fuel injection. I would think the computer would be able to adjust the fuel air mix enough to compensate. My mechanic is really looking out for me. The warranty company is supposed to write him a check for parts and labor but imstead he us going to give me the parts money and let me buy what I want. He said they may try to make me get a used engine but good luck finding one with less than 85,000. And if they do I'll by an lq4 or 9 instead cheaper anyway and pop new bearings and rings in it.
    Last edited by Brandonz28; 10-22-2013 at 04:49 PM.

For the engine to run optimum I would suggest a tune, even if relatively stock. A mail order tune from Frost here on the board would work excellent for your near stock setup. It's cheap to do, and he has fast turnaround time.

Blue
    2002 camaro z28

Ok and that won't effect emissions?

Nope. He'll ask you specific questions, what you need or want. Specifying you need to pass emission whether it be just an OBDII code check or an actual sniffer may change how he will tune things so it's important to let him know.

Blue
    2002 camaro z28

Ok thanks. I should be hearing from the insurance company tomorrow I'll let u know what they say.

Blue
    2002 camaro z28

The insurance company denied the claim they said it was worn not broke, so I won't be doing anything soon. Thanks for all the help hopefully my lawyer can get it straightened out.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

That's pretty unfortunate.
    It's on jackstands.

Ha, that's an easy fix.

Do what a friend of mine did with his 69 SCJ Torino when it was still under warranty. There was something wrong with it, if I remember right it was smoking or something. Warranty said it wasn't broke so they weren't going to fix it. He said, okay, I'll be right back

Went down the street and wound the piss out of it, brought it back on a hook and said, here you go, it's broke. They put a complete warranty engine in it.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Except the OPs motor is already disassembled and he owes the mechanic for that labor and putting it back together again.

Warranties always have fine print and generally are not worth the paper they are written on more times than not.

I laughed though and if that works, go for it. If it doesn't then you're really screwed lol.

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

I didn't wanna jinx him by my 3rd party warranty story, but they usually don't cover diagnostics either
    I like work. It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

My Cardomain Site My Fquick site Custom Installs

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Insurance companies are in the business to make money... not help people. I have brought action against aftermarket warranty companies before. They generally fold like a house of cards when you file an action against them. I would be more than happy to review your warranty if you want to scan and email it to me. If it is available online just shoot me a link to view it.

Blue
    2002 camaro z28

I found in my contract that it says if the wear is out of specification .0007-.00212 that it is considered damaged. Bore are 3.902 pistons are 3.895 so its definitely out of spec. They are reviewing it now and have said that if its out of spec they will replace it. So thats good, still sweating though.

Blue
    2002 camaro z28

The insurance company agreed to replace the engine. Sweet. So now my mechanic and them are talking price. They said they had prices for two reman engines and they want my mechanic to get a price from gm and jasper. I'll keep you guys updated thanks again for the help and support!
    pajeff02 likes this.

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

That's awesome!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

You keep mentioning the insurance company...I'm assuming you mean the warranty company?

Blue
    2002 camaro z28

Yes the warranty company my bad. The warranty is through Protective insurance company.

Blue
    2002 camaro z28

Ok so the warranty company agreed to pay and want the jasper engine. Jasper no longer carries ls1 remans so they are picking my engine up and completely rebuilding it. They offer a 3 year unlimited mile warranty so hopefully they replace all the bearings, oil pump etc. in addition to just pistons and what not. The total bill came to $5800, and the warranty company tried to say my cars trade in value was $5300 so I would have to pay the extra. So once again I had to go through the contract and found that it said " up to the cash value of vehicle" then argue with the adjuster explaining cash value and trade-in value were different. I won again after awhile. So I guess I won't be getting an iron block but my engine will be "new" hopefully it lasts 100,000 or so. By then the car will be paid off and I can do what I want with it. Thanks again for all the help.

If your bores already mic at 3.902, I just hope there is still enough room to bore that thing enough to make them round again.

Hope Jasper doesn't come back with more bad news.

Blue
    2002 camaro z28

They are supposed to be re-sleeving it. But I read in a magazine that the 97-99 blocks could only go .005 over but the late models can go .010 over. Mine is an 02. Gm re-designed the sleeves because of problems, then apparently continued to have problems so they scrapped the whole thing and don't even sell reman ls1's anymore. But I know it will be taken care of for the next 3 years and if it takes a crap after that, I'll put an iron block in it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information