Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hugger orange

sheetmetal intake

I've been looking at some options on aftermarket intakes and have been wondering.
    I know I also am at the point where I need a GREAT set of heads, but with my set right now (ported, polished, and .040" milled 241 heads, and 238/242 .595/.595 112lsa cam and all supporting mods) 3,800 stall. the motor is setup.to run and hold together over 7,000 rpms.
    I'm running the stock ls6 intake now, but from all the research I've done it looks like even a ported FAST intake will be choking the airflow before I hit near redline... Am I ready for a sheetmetal intake?

I've looked at a few different designs and am leaning toward fabbing up a tunnel ram setup with a 100+ mm tb, short runers and around a 5L plentum.

Any pro builder ideas or info to help in my quest for the engine full potential?

In need of another LS1 00blacktransam112's Avatar

Black
    2000 Pontiac TA

i say do it just because it looks cool. seriously though, why dont you invest in a 6.0l? you could probably spend the same money and have a better platform
    Last edited by 00blacktransam112; 01-19-2010 at 06:13 AM.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Talk to Gorillavette, he got a custom sheetmetal intake fabbed up and appears to know his shit regarding them. His LSX is well into the 1,000+ HP range, and streetable.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    Talk to Gorillavette, he got a custom sheetmetal intake fabbed up and appears to know his shit regarding them. His LSX is well into the 1,000+ HP range, and streetable.
    his was done by a shop in atl but he posted the name of it i think if not ask him and im sure he will give to to you.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by 00blacktransam112 View Post
    i say do it just because it looks cool. seriously though, why dont you invest in a 6.0l? you could probably spend the same money and have a better platform
    I plan on building this one now, then later down the road building a +400ci and swapping the parts that I can... Wallet just won't let me do go bigger cubes in the next year or so (or should I say the wify won't let me till we get some bills paid off lol)

I would be the one fabbing it up and I know it will take afew tests and redesigns, but if gains can be had it would be worth it

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

i would say a ported fast 92 from a rep. shop like mamo etc will be fine for your needs...but if you want a sheet metal intake go for it. it cant hurt if you get it made by someone who knows what they are doing.

RED
    2001 CAMARO ss

is your cam made to pull to 7k rpm,s without lossing power or torq, all street cams normally are good from 3200 to 6200 rpm. so if pull your car to 7k plus your car stop pulling along time ago .

example : my car was tune to 6700k rpm,s but my peak power was at 5300k rpm,s and my torq, stop at 5800k rpm,s . i see no reason to pull my car to 6700k rpm,s when the car is not pulling any longer .

just my OP !

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    his was done by a shop in atl but he posted the name of it i think if not ask him and im sure he will give to to you.
    yeah i know, but he was involved with it, and has been through the process

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by SPDYGON View Post
    is your cam made to pull to 7k rpm,s without lossing power or torq, all street cams normally are good from 3200 to 6200 rpm. so if pull your car to 7k plus your car stop pulling along time ago .

example : my car was tune to 6700k rpm,s but my peak power was at 5300k rpm,s and my torq, stop at 5800k rpm,s . i see no reason to pull my car to 6700k rpm,s when the car is not pulling any longer .

just my OP !
    What are your cam specs?

Yes the cam is made for 7,00 rpms and pulls hard as hell to my 6,900 fuel cut off now, just looking to get some more out of it if I raise the rev limit higher. The cam "rating" is 3,000-7,000rpms. Looking at my VE tables I have a steady ramp up from 2,800-5,800 rpms then holds steady at 98% through 7,200 rpms which unless I'm wrong this is telling me the motor is asking for more air but it is being choked out and not getting the airflow it wants... Which tells me I need bigger heads and larger intake... Heads not being in the budget at the moment leaves me with the intake option.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

look into super vic and vic jr single plane manifolds with a 4 barrel throttle body that would be the best route. for not the crazy high price. you can get a vic jr with throttle body ruel rails injectors and brackets for a little less then a fast 92. and it pulls past 7000 rpm.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by zmg00camaross View Post
    look into super vic and vic jr single plane manifolds with a 4 barrel throttle body that would be the best route. for not the crazy high price. you can get a vic jr with throttle body ruel rails injectors and brackets for a little less then a fast 92. and it pulls past 7000 rpm.
    this is the intake alot of racers use. but with a elbow and a 100+mm tb like what you have now

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Will the Edelbrock ProFlo XT EFI manifold clear on a GTO??? If so I would definitely consider it......

I would post a link but can't find it on a sponsors website....

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by SOMbitch View Post
    Will the Edelbrock ProFlo XT EFI manifold clear on a GTO??? If so I would definitely consider it......

I would post a link but can't find it on a sponsors website....
    i dont think so but i dont know why a fast 102mm should not fit the bill

hugger orange

I haven't heard much about the proflow and untill the otherday I didn't know they even had a 102 fast with cathedral ports...I'll have to do some reading up on both od them. I do know I have a lot more room in the GTO engine compartment than you F-body guys

98' trans am

quick question..what are your injectors? what are their % are they maxing out ?

Wilson manifolds and TPiS both make great sheetmetal manifolds.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by blkSS98 View Post
    Wilson manifolds and TPiS both make great sheetmetal manifolds.
    wilson makes the fast intakes as well but i did find a sheetmetal one on there site for $3500.00 here is the link
    http://www.wilsonmanifolds.com/shop/...uct_detail&p=8

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    quick question..what are your injectors? what are their % are they maxing out ?
    30lb injectors. Right at 7,000 rpm they are hitting 105% duty cycle... Hope to have 36lb or 42lb in by the end of the week
    I have the lc-1 wide band run to hptuners and I know I'm asking more of the injectors than they can handle but like said with rev limit right now set at 7,000, WOT to 7,000 duty cycle hits 105% with A/F at 12.4:1 right at 6,99x rpms just before it hit fuel cut.

Did three pulls to be sure and did the same thing each time

98' trans am

what intake are you running ? in front of the manifold ?

i'm just trying to get a better view of your set up.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    I've been looking at some options on aftermarket intakes and have been wondering.
    I know I also am at the point where I need a GREAT set of heads, but with my set right now (ported, polished, and .040" milled 241 heads, and 238/242 .595/.595 112lsa cam and all supporting mods) 3,800 stall. the motor is setup.to run and hold together over 7,000 rpms.
    I'm running the stock ls6 intake now, but from all the research I've done it looks like even a ported FAST intake will be choking the airflow before I hit near redline... Am I ready for a sheetmetal intake?

I've looked at a few different designs and am leaning toward fabbing up a tunnel ram setup with a 100+ mm tb, short runers and around a 5L plentum.

Any pro builder ideas or info to help in my quest for the engine full potential?
    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    what intake are you running ? in front of the manifold ?

i'm just trying to get a better view of your set up.

Sheet metal intakes are big bucks. If your looking for an intake that carries to 7000 and beyond, the Super Vic and Vic Junior work well from what I have seen.

< Not a Pro at anything

Thread Information