View Poll Results: Seafoam a good or bad idea???

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, its a bad idea.

16 17.98%
  • No, it works great!

73 82.02%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    The Red Reaper 98Z28importslayer's Avatar

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 T-Top A4

Seafoam good or bad??? Poll

I think this might help solve alot of peoples problem weather there going to seafoam there engine/trans. So lets see what you guys think about seafoaming the engine/trans. Waste of time or worth it ? the car would be a 100k+ ls1 camaro or firebird with a A4 trans.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Works great.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 T-Top A4

Anyone have a write up on how to do a full seafoam on engine and trans. ? i have seen a few but they werent really a complete write up.

rapter34
    look on tech.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 T-Top A4

I just currently did a full seafoam on the engine on my 98 z28 with 143k and to my surprise i let it idle then floored it once and a huge cloud of smoke came out the back (the dude behind me didnt look to happy in his truck from the smoke ) and that was it i went out and drove it hard for 5 minutes and no more smoking so i guess the engine was pretty dang clean But if your going to seafoam the engine, try to drive the car on the back roads cause im not sure if the police will give you any trouble for it but just incase

dirty aka white
    2000 Z

Hey guys/gals I was talkin with a budy and he told me he had heard that after doin the treatment your mileage will go down (get worse) I was just wonderin what exactly is it and what dose it do and are there any other down sides of doin it? I have a 131xxx on my 2000 maro. Thanks everyone!

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 98Z28importslayer View Post
    Anyone have a write up on how to do a full seafoam on engine and trans. ? i have seen a few but they werent really a complete write up.
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534376
    I just suck it thru the brake booster line.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Seafoam is basically a high quality carb cleaner.

If it didn't work, it would have been off the market years ago. The people who say "its bad" are most likely using it improperly, because its not like its some mystery additive. It cleans out the crankcase and combustion chambers when added to the oil or air/fuel supply, simple as that.

red
    1999 WS6

Oops, clicked the wrong one. I've had no problems with it.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Seafoam is basically a high quality carb cleaner.

If it didn't work, it would have been off the market years ago. The people who say "its bad" are most likely using it improperly, because its not like its some mystery additive. It cleans out the crankcase and combustion chambers when added to the oil or air/fuel supply, simple as that.
    Not really...market longevity is based on people buying stuff versus the quality of the stuff. IMHO it is caustic and abrasive.....and the newer formulas such as AutoRX are much less caustic/acidic and clean better...called progress.....

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Not really...market longevity is based on people buying stuff versus the quality of the stuff. IMHO it is caustic and abrasive.....and the newer formulas such as AutoRX are much less caustic/acidic and clean better...called progress.....

Where can I buy AutoRX? And is it used the same way?

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Seafoam has some merit

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Sarge, I'd be curious to hear from you that IF AutoRX did not exist, would you use Seafoam?

I recently used it for a '96 Dodge Ram (5.2L), my '99 Z28, and three chain saws (Sachs-Dolmar 116 si, Husqvarna 272XP and 372 XP).

In the vehicles I only used it thru the vacuum line. Results?

The Dodge bellowed smoke like nobody's business. It had 105,000 miles on it and for the last couple of years I have only used lower octane fuel, but it gets very little use (less than 4K a year). After it cleared up, I have noticed a slight increase in initial performance from a stop and while it had a good idle before, it was just a bit smoother.

The Z28 has 91,000 and I only use Amoco (BP) 93 octane in it. Very little smoke resulted. No discernable improvement in performance. I attribute this to the additives in the 93 octane from Amoco. Now they have "Invigorate" additives in all grades, but I am convinced that their highest octane grade is one of the best gasolines available. That has kept the engine very clean, IMHO, and the potential value of Seafoam is minimal, at least thru the vacuum line. I am against putting it in the crankcase, but that's a personal choice. As a fuel additive, I think it is somewhat useless if you use high octane quality fuel, but that applies to any fuel additive under those circumstances. Of course, as a DD, I think consistent driving helps to maintain the cleanliness of the fuel system.

The chain saws are a different subject. Seafoam really did a number on them. I poured a small amount directly into the carburetors of all three, and let it sit for about ten minutes (I opened the blade and allowed the Seafoam to enter). All probably created more smoke than the Z28 did! Both Husky's ran stronger and had a smoother rpm @ WOT. The Sachs-Dolmar was the best surprise. Not long ago, it refused to start. I checked everything and it looked like it should fire, but even ether/starting fluid didn't help (that was a good month prior to the Seafoam treatment). After ten minutes of Seafoam in the carb, I set the choke, pulled ONE time, and it fired up. It smoked enough to repel mosquitos for a mile, but once it cleared up, it ran like it was new. I let all three saws cool down, and each one re-started with the first pull. I'm convinced that Seafoam is a great additive/maintenance item for 2-cycle engines. Chain saw carbs are notorious for "shellac" build up from old fuel. I'm of the opinion that Seafoam removes this build up, since earlier attempts with standard carburetor cleaner were not as successful.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    Sarge, I'd be curious to hear from you that IF AutoRX did not exist, would you use Seafoam?

Sarge? Sarge?Sarge?!Sarge!!!!!

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

I have used it since 93 and had NO bad issue's!!

Works great as long as you use it properly. I think I have only put it in the oil of 4-5 cars in 15 years. And that was due to the fact of massive sludge build up.

Works great!
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

It worked good for my car, but I wouldn't dare put it in my truck (177K).

Oh, btw you probably don't want it in your trans op. =bad

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    I have used it since 93 and had NO bad issue's!!

Works great as long as you use it properly. I think I have only put it in the oil of 4-5 cars in 15 years. And that was due to the fact of massive sludge build up.

Works great!
    I've never had a problem with it either, but I've only used it for five years or so......and sparingly at that.

I'd like to try this AutoRx that Sarge recommends, but I've yet to find it on a shelf. I've heard that GM Top Engine Cleaner is awesome as well, from a mechanic friend who knows his stuff.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    It worked good for my car, but I wouldn't dare put it in my truck (177K).

Oh, btw you probably don't want it in your trans op. =bad
    Shit the truck is what needs it the worst!! You know hoe much shit is built up on the In. Valves and the ring lands. Shit not to mention the carbon build up on the piston and valve faces raising the comp.
    That what I use it in the most is high milage shit.

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    I've never had a problem with it either, but I've only used it for five years or so......and sparingly at that.

I'd like to try this AutoRx that Sarge recommends, but I've yet to find it on a shelf. I've heard that GM Top Engine Cleaner is awesome as well, from a mechanic friend who knows his stuff.
    GM Top End cleaner is very similiar but more expensive.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Shit the truck is what needs it the worst!! You know hoe much shit is built up on the In. Valves and the ring lands. Shit not to mention the carbon build up on the piston and valve faces raising the comp.

Your avatar rocks..........just had to say it. Soon I would like to pick your brain a bit about a safe shot for an LS6 engine.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

I considered the truck but at the miles I bought it used, I'm worried that the carbon is what's keeping the oil leaks away. I have a gut feeling that seafoaming the truck might result in a leak or chunks of carbon clogging the cats. It drives fine right now, and I'm trying the TC-W3 thru the gas atm.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    I considered the truck but at the miles I bought it used, I'm worried that the carbon is what's keeping the oil leaks away. I have a gut feeling that seafoaming the truck might result in a leak or chunks of carbon clogging the cats. It drives fine right now, and I'm trying the TC-W3 thru the gas atm.
    You'll be fine! I don't suggest using it in the oil. Just suck it down the brake booster hose and then drive a good 40-50 miles on the freeway. That sum bitch will smoke like NO tomorrow.

Don't do it at home. I made that mistake as a teenager. The neighbors call the Fire Dept. and told them our house was on fire. . . . . .

It will clean the cat or cat's out actually.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information