Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Seafoam

This is a discussion on Seafoam within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; So far, not good. I have added 1/2 to the oil and ran for about 80 miles, and 1 can ...

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

So far, not good. I have added 1/2 to the oil and ran for about 80 miles, and 1 can in the gas tank. Well my DD is a 92 Corsica 3.1L with 140,XXX miles. Now I have a misfire/stumble and my brain tells me, that it broke something free in the fuel line and has now pluged an Injector. I am getting ready to do the top engine part/deep creep and then pound on it for a bit and see if that helps. If it doesn't, then I am going to have to get a injector machine from my buddy and run it straight through the injectors. I hope I can fix this, bullshit.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

You can get a fuel rail adapter that goes to a bottle of cleaner and run it introvenusly(cant spell). Like the dealerships

Get some good premium gas(not premium grade.. just good gas) like chevron or shell after the seafoam and see if it clears up.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Well, I did the top cleaner part also. Now my check engine light is on, and the car is missing. This is my first time using Seafoam, but I am not happy. Yes the car has 140,XXX miles but my car got anywhere between 25.7 and 30.3 mpg and ran mint. Now the car misses and has the light on. I have a buddy bringing the injector adapter tomorrow and have a bottle left to run through. I will not use this on my SS and will never use it on another car again. Seafoam sucks cock, and is worthless. I did it by the book, and nothing but bullshit has happened. Wish I could sell crap in a can, I would be a millionaire. If you want to use seafoam then

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

When is the last time regular maitenance was performed on this car?

I did mine in the TA at over 140k and it helped quite a bit. The SES light is from a missfire code.. most have it after seafoam!

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

You might've taken out the 02 sensor in your corsica.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Seafoam sucks cock, and is worthless.
    Been using it for years. No problems at all. Works great actually.

Most of those people that have a problem with it....used it wrong. 99% of the time they used too much.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I went by the instructions from ls1tech but cut down a little bit. Not quite half a can in the oil (Car only uses 4.5 quarts of oil) A bottle in the gas tank, and gas tank full. 1/3 of the can threw the brake booster, poured slowly and not stalled out til the last bit, let it sit for 20 min and ran it hard. It smoked, not as much as everyone was claiming with there vehicles. Just a small mushroom cloud and only smoked for about 10 min (MAYBE) probably less then that. Now that I think of it, I only used about 1/3 in the oil. My oil is not even dirty and the car has about 100 miles on the seafoam oil. Now I have to have it scanned and figure out what is wrong. Maintance wise, it has new fuel filter, new plastic gas tank, wires, plugs, ignition module, air filter, tires, powersteering lines, brakes all around, brake lines. I know a bunch of that stuff doesnt matter but just stating to show that I fix shit when it needs to be fixed.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Oh, and I change my oil every 3,000 miles with Pennzoil Platinum. Yes that is right, I run synthetic in my beater. Thats how I take care of my cars. I don't think I used too much, if I used too much then all someone would need would be 1 can. I bought 2 and still have some left over.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I use no more than ONE CAN total.
    No reason to use more.

All my beaters get 'synthetics' as well. Not sure what difference that makes.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

It doesn't make a difference on the seafoam part, Its just the total care of the car. This car while it may look like a piece of shit, is totally tip top shape. I mean 30.3 mpg out of a 3 speed tranny, with normal driving and some stop and go is just insane if you ask me. The only spot I could have used too much would be the gas tank then if you only use 1 bottle total. The light didn't come on until I did the upper end, been driving with it in my gas for a couple days now. And I only used about 1/3 of a bottle on the upper end which isn't shit. I am at a loss until I get it scanned. Have to fix whatever is going on with "Meaty"

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Let us know what the issue is.

Is the brake booster leaking? Vaccum issue?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I will check, but maybe you can help with something that seemed odd to me. When I first took off the brake booster, it didn't idle high like tech said it would from being a vacuum leak. I had to have someone give it gas to idle it up a bit while I poured it in slowly. Could I have had a leak that was unknown to me, that just happened before and am blaming the seafoam on it.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

When you are pouring the seafoam in, it will drop idle. I pour it in slow, as I don't normally have someone helping me.
    I pull the line, then start the car. Idle should jump up until you start pouring in the seafoam.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

It did drop idle, but it didn't idle up at all. In fact when I pulled the booster line, I thought it was going to die just idleing by itself. I wonder if I have an issue some where in the vacuum lines or such.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

There was a recent article in one of the enthusiast magazines (sorry can't remember which one...I subscribe to 11) where they interviewed experts from some of the major brands of oil products from Royal Purple, Pennzoil, GTX, etc. All were opposed to additives except Lucas who says their new supplement won't hurt the engine. The problem is largely due to the solvents contained in additives. These solvents can be harmful to the engine and also can cause sludge and deposits to break loose and restrict or even clog oil passages. Clearly not a good thing. While I take what I read with a grain of salt, this one actually makes sense.
    2000 Camaro SS, AFR heads, COMP Cam XER281HR, F.A.S.T. 90 mm Intake and throttle body, Jet-Hot Coated Hooker long-tube headers, Mezier electric water pump, Centerforce dual friction clutch, 4.10 Richmond gears, dyno tune by Carolina Auto Masters

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I also should have noted that in the last 10,000 miles, every other fill up I added Lucas to the gas tank (Injector cleaner and Upper cylinder lube) So my fuel system shouldn't have been very dirty.

1989 Nissan 570SX

Quote Originally Posted by jbwhite View Post
    There was a recent article in one of the enthusiast magazines (sorry can't remember which one...I subscribe to 11) where they interviewed experts from some of the major brands of oil products from Royal Purple, Pennzoil, GTX, etc. All were opposed to additives except Lucas who says their new supplement won't hurt the engine. The problem is largely due to the solvents contained in additives. These solvents can be harmful to the engine and also can cause sludge and deposits to break loose and restrict or even clog oil passages. Clearly not a good thing. While I take what I read with a grain of salt, this one actually makes sense.
    i agree, but also note that Lucas oil additive has a strong surfactant in it. that makes it bubble, and sure, it climbs up the gear demonstration in the auto parts store, but it also means air bubbles instead of oil on your hot metal engine parts. air bubbles=no oil=hot spots, which is very bad for hot metal parts under a lot of stress. i wouldn't add that stuff to my engine if you paid me, unless you offered to buy and install a new engine for me and pay me on top of that.
    ~Jason
    2005 Acura RSX: Daily Driver duties
    1994 Toyota Corolla: the beater that just won't die!
    "Fast, Cheap, Reliable. You can only have two."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information