Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Royal purple

This is a discussion on Royal purple within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I put royal purple in my car right after I bought it, cant tell you I noticed any horsepower gains ...

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

I put royal purple in my car right after I bought it, cant tell you I noticed any horsepower gains or mileage maybe cause I was running the dog piss out of it the 2 weeks I was home. But I figured I would do that since it had 78k on the clock and I didnt know how it had been treated for the mileage it had. But I will prolly go to a cheaper synthetic next time cause rp is pretty expensive.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 402 Guru View Post
    I mix my own oil in my 9 second Gto and As long as you know what you are doing and have profesional training in that field there is no problem with mixing your own oils , when you know what is in the oil the chemistry ( basic chemistry 101) will provide all the reactions you will have with a controled study for example taking oil temp's at 300 degrees and taking the oil in 20 degree increments to see what the oil is doing , and how it reacts to other oils it is very cost efficient and you can do it on a electric burner is you dont have a bunsen burner .With the k and n filters they perform well but in a cost effective and well built i like the Purolators oil filter they have an anti drain back valves that are well built and all other parts wih them, check this out and you will see http://www.corolland.com/oil-filters.html
    actually no.......basic chemistry will not help you with taking temperatures of oil and as you say "see what the oil is doing". All you will be doing there is watching oil get hot...not very scientific. To get down to the real chemistry to see what two oils are doing you would need to have each oil tested alone first by mass spectrometer. Then run your wear tests etc for your baseline. Then you will need to mix the oils (fresh of course but of the same sampling for control) and re run the mass spectrometer, to see what the new elemental compounds in the oil are after being mixed. At this point you will need to run your wear test and do your analysis. Now you need to compare the three results, oil 1, oil2, and the mix. This will show you what your oil is doing....heating oil up on a burner in no way mimics anything near what is going on in your engine. There are things called shearing, volatility, pour points, base numbers, cold viscosity, and oxygen uptake.

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post
    actually no.......basic chemistry will not help you with taking temperatures of oil and as you say "see what the oil is doing". All you will be doing there is watching oil get hot...not very scientific. To get down to the real chemistry to see what two oils are doing you would need to have each oil tested alone first by mass spectrometer. Then run your wear tests etc for your baseline. Then you will need to mix the oils (fresh of course but of the same sampling for control) and re run the mass spectrometer, to see what the new elemental compounds in the oil are after being mixed. At this point you will need to run your wear test and do your analysis. Now you need to compare the three results, oil 1, oil2, and the mix. This will show you what your oil is doing....heating oil up on a burner in no way mimics anything near what is going on in your engine. There are things called shearing, volatility, pour points, base numbers, cold viscosity, and oxygen uptake.
    This thread is about Royal purple not about you making false pretenses about your oil mixing i have a degree in mixing oils From Unlv fram what you have stated you have no idea what you are talking about .Yes the proper term is "Basic Chemistry 101" mixing if you have ever head of something called "College" without google lol anyways heating up oil if you have even been certified in oil mixing at a profesional level then you would know that a scientific study is controlled experiment not your "Google" nonsense so stop posting false info it is just silly and reflects on your character and your maturity.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have heard about a thing called "college". I have a bachelor's degree in engineering and a master's degree in business.

I went to the University of Purdue, which is ranked relatively high among the engineering schools in the nation. For my bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering I had to take (2) basic chemistry courses as well as (2) physics courses. Not once was there ever mention of "mixing oils" in any of the 4 courses. I also took a course in Fluid Power. There was no mention of "mixing oils" in that class either.

The intent of this thread should not be to "bash" other people or make references to someone "not going to college", but to provide useful information.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you disagree, don't degrade them. State your facts and use "peer reviewed" information to back up your statements.

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I have heard about a thing called "college". I have a bachelor's degree in engineering and a master's degree in business.

I went to the University of Purdue, which is ranked relatively high among the engineering schools in the nation. For my bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering I had to take (2) basic chemistry courses as well as (2) physics courses. Not once was there ever mention of "mixing oils" in any of the 4 courses. I also took a course in Fluid Power. There was no mention of "mixing oils" in that class either.

The intent of this thread should not be to "bash" other people or make references to someone "not going to college", but to provide useful information.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you disagree, don't degrade them. State your facts and use "peer reviewed" information to back up your statements.
    I am using accepting criticism and when some people bash there own character they are just asking for an outcry for people to correct them( psychology year 3) because they know no better. he is stating that he is only bashing his statements directly from google which are not facts only options. when you are in basic chemistry every college has there own tests and there top 5% of the classes when requested can and will get harder work and in my college we did just that harder work and i would go to college all over agian as it is the only way to know the facts of science not just the options everything has its options .I would not bash anyone for the wrong reasons plus college is not for everyone. look at the person who posted the thread in the first place stating im using Rp. Royal purple is not the best oil in the world thats why there are mixers to attemt to perfect an optimum mixture fo the presented application

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Since people can't keep this thread on topic, I will just resolve the matter, thread closed.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Royal Purple returns crap for UOA's. There is substantial data to back this statement up posted in the oil thread (massive).....WalMart SuperTech returned better UOA's than RP.
    RP at one time had an excellent oil...but went cheap on add packs as we all already know....total garbage lubricant.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I'll open this back up...and challenge anybody to post up UOA data from a reputable lab showing acceptable wear metals/TBN from Royal Purple in the last 2-3 years compared to any other oil off the shelf or otherwise. I have posted tons of UOA's on this site and feel free to take a look....

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I'll open this back up...and challenge anybody to post up UOA data from a reputable lab showing acceptable wear metals/TBN from Royal Purple in the last 2-3 years compared to any other oil off the shelf or otherwise. I have posted tons of UOA's on this site and feel free to take a look....
    I cant believe that they went so cheap i have always seen awesome numbers in the lab 2 years ago when testing the product but now i would like to ask why did they go cheap after some time was it a hurricane katrina somewhat how mobil one sayed was responsible for there oil or was it just cost cutting efforts to make the man richer ? i also would like to apologize for making an ass of myself Ladies and Gentlemen

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by NaviDyn View Post
    The normal carmel color is the dye additive. So is the purple.
    lol out of all these guys you picked out my color statment! But yeah, its just dye i suppose. i really dont hold any side due to the fact that has a car engine ever REALLY TRULELY and UTTERLY failed with either of these motor oils in them? Oil has 3 jobs; lubricate, cool, and sometimes clean/keep clean in a matter of speaking. Keep it clean, and it keeps lubricating therefore it keeps it cool. 2 enemys of any automotive system is foreign matter and heat. Introduce one to the other and something is gonna fail. RP, mobil 1, castrol Syntec, Shaffer, BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH.... preventive maintanence goes a long way to preserving your vehicle. I see it in the shop i work at all the time. Matter of fact, a little lady came in one day saying her car was sounding funny. It had a slight "knock" to it. Come to find out she hadnt had an oil change in 6 months and was 6000 over her 3000 mile mark. a total of 9000 miles over her OIL CHANGE!!!! on regular 5w20 motor oil. and she was wondering why?!!!??! I changed her oil and added lucas oil to help prevent and possibly undue (if at all) the damage already caused. She comes in a week later.... she threw a rod..... by the way this is a 2007 ford edge with 36000 on the Odometer..... a simple 30 dollar service could hae saved her a 3-5K repair service. And dont think you men are any better. Ive had guys roll in with not a drop of oil in the oil pan and lucky that they hadnt had the same fate. I call these customers ticking upsales! long story short, you change your oil on time, you save your car. I dont go but 3000, somtimes not even 2000 on synthetic. Long story short, use royal purple if you like. just dont think you can go 10000 miles on it. I have a guy that uses shaffer and only changes his oil twice a year. I think hes out of his mind. I even offed to change it for him. He said Nope, aint time yet. he even has a 01 Z28. poor ls1. like i said though to each his own. I stick with Mobil 1 right now. (its free) but i plan on trying the AMSoil eventually. If my shop ever started supplying amsoil, i would most definatly make that switch. and now, im done.
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 12-07-2009 at 08:14 PM.

Silver
    04 Pontiac GTO

I agree Josh, no matter what you do to your car PM is the most important part. Example, I just had a guy in the shop today who was 10686 miles past the 3000. Thats right PAST the 3000. I am a shaffers man myself used to run RP until they decided it was made of gold and platinum and required a second mortgage on my house just to buy it.
    Ashes to ashes and dust to dust, if it wasn't for fords our tools would rust

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    I agree Josh, no matter what you do to your car PM is the most important part. Example, I just had a guy in the shop today who was 10686 miles past the 3000. Thats right PAST the 3000. I am a shaffers man myself used to run RP until they decided it was made of gold and platinum and required a second mortgage on my house just to buy it.
    +1 absolutly. PM does wonders for your car

The Slow and the Broke ImportIntimidator's Avatar

Black
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post
    good input...But,...I would suggest against mixing oils. The problem is that when you start to mix oils, you are mixing add packs. With this, there is the potential for your chemistry to cancel itself out. This can end up making the add packs not as strong and not function as they were intended.
    Excellent point as well. My undergraduate degree was in chemistry, which is probably why I enjoy mixing, lol. But good to point out that for someone without a background in chemistry or knowledge of chemical composition it could be counterproductive. That being said there are several members on the forum that have produced some concoctions that return some good UOA results without a chemistry background (to my knowledge). Most of these users have been tinkering with oils for awhile as well though, giving them a better leg up than those just starting their education in oil experimentation. That being said I've always found the best way to learn things is the good ole get your hands dirty trial and error.

The Slow and the Broke ImportIntimidator's Avatar

Black
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 402 Guru View Post
    i also would like to apologize for making an ass of myself Ladies and Gentlemen
    no worries, everyone is entitled to an opinion. Also I would venture that just about everyone on the forum is fiercely loyal to the products they use, so by no means are you alone. Also this forum is all about knowledge and helping other members out. Just another case of LS1 education...

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

There certainly are some strong opinions in this thread, both for and against Royal Purple, regardless of the data. So, there is no point in reproducing any of the ample empirical evidence already posted in the oil thread, as anyone interested in such data can simply read it there. Apparently, opinions are what matters here.

Accordingly, I will just render my opinion on Royal Purple--no references to my or others' experiments, academic/professional backgrounds, colleges/universities attended (obviously, there are huge differences in quality), or substances enjoyed/abused--just my opinion here.

In my opinion, Royal Purple is a waste of money. I definitely would not pay the price they want for it, even with a huge discount. Heck, I would not use it even if it were free. No, that's not strong enough. Royal Purple is total crap, and I would not use it even if someone paid me to use it.

Notwithstanding my heavy dose of sarcasm, each of us is entitled to his/her opinion. So go ahead and use Royal Purple if you so choose, it's your choice. That's the beauty of freedom--you are free to choose. Just remember, consequences come with choices, both good and bad.

Looking on the good side of choosing Royal Purple, it creates more jobs for mechanics. So, let's come up with a new slogan for Royal Purple...

"Keep mechanics employed--choose Royal Purple!"

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    There certainly are some strong opinions in this thread, both for and against Royal Purple, regardless of the data. So, there is no point in reproducing any of the ample empirical evidence already posted in the oil thread, as anyone interested in such data can simply read it there. Apparently, opinions are what matters here.

Accordingly, I will just render my opinion on Royal Purple--no references to my or others' experiments, academic/professional backgrounds, colleges/universities attended (obviously, there are huge differences in quality), or substances enjoyed/abused--just my opinion here.

In my opinion, Royal Purple is a waste of money. I definitely would not pay the price they want for it, even with a huge discount. Heck, I would not use it even if it were free. No, that's not strong enough. Royal Purple is total crap, and I would not use it even if someone paid me to use it.

Notwithstanding my heavy dose of sarcasm, each of us is entitled to his/her opinion. So go ahead and use Royal Purple if you so choose, it's your choice. That's the beauty of freedom--you are free to choose. Just remember, consequences come with choices, both good and bad.

Looking on the good side of choosing Royal Purple, it creates more jobs for mechanics. So, let's come up with a new slogan for Royal Purple...

"Keep mechanics employed--choose Royal Purple!"
    Well said!!
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Lightbulb 3,000-Mile Oil Change Myth

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    The 3,000-mile Oil Change Recommendation goes back to the 1930s, possibly earlier. With today's oil, filter, and engine technology, it's not that far fetched to go 10,000-miles or more on an oil change - UOAs back this up. And yes, sometimes a 3,000-mile oil change is necessary given certain driving conditions.

See also: 3,000-Mile Oil Change Myth - Link

CompSyn

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by CompSyn View Post
    The 3,000-mile Oil Change Recommendation goes back to the 1930s, possibly earlier. With today's oil, filter, and engine technology, it's not that far fetched to go 10,000-miles or more on an oil change - UOAs back this up. And yes, sometimes a 3,000-mile oil change is necessary given certain driving conditions.

See also: 3,000-Mile Oil Change Myth - Link

CompSyn
    My 01 Camaro is the first Camaro I've owned that calls for a 3000mi. oil change. Every car/truck I've had before was 5000mi. Thought it seemed kind of odd. But I go ahead and change it every 3k anyway and moved to a lighter weight oil. I noticed with the 5w30 instead of the 10w30 it runs cooler @ nearly 20* cooler and maintains that temp. My engine used to run around 200-210* on the 10w30.. But as far as oil color goes. Well I never baught oil that was as dark as the oil in the video. The oil I've use has always been sort of honey colored. To me after it's been in the engine and turns black it's time to change it. I do not consider oil that was once honey colored and now is black to be good oil. I would never turn around and dump it back in, or use it in any other engine so it gets trashed. I just can't be sold on that claim that it's still good. Especially when it stays honey colored for a long period of time and takes on a totally different smell when it's black. If it looks used and smells used it is used. May sound dumb but, black oil is dirty oil other wise it would stay honey colored... I also notice that if I drive hard (I don't beat on my car but I do get on it) it changes color faster. The faster metal parts rub together the faster they wear. More friction = more wear fragments in the oil among other things... Not trying to start a flame war. That's just my .02.. Take it for what it's worth..
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-08-2009 at 05:23 AM.

Post Assumptions

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    My 01 Camaro is the first Camaro I've owned that calls for a 3000mi. oil change. Every car/truck I've had before was 5000mi. Thought it seemed kind of odd. But I go ahead and change it every 3k anyway and moved to a lighter weight oil. I noticed with the 5w30 instead of the 10w30 it runs cooler @ nearly 20* cooler and maintains that temp. My engine used to run around 200-210* on the 10w30.. But as far as oil color goes. Well I never baught oil that was as dark as the oil in the video. The oil I've use has always been sort of honey colored. To me after it's been in the engine and turns black it's time to change it. I do not consider oil that was once honey colored and now is black to be good oil. I would never turn around and dump it back in, or use it in any other engine so it gets trashed. I just can't be sold on that claim that it's still good. Especially when it stays honey colored for a long period of time and takes on a totally different smell when it's black. If it looks used and smells used it is used. May sound dumb but, black oil is dirty oil other wise it would stay honey colored... I also notice that if I drive hard (I don't beat on my car but I do get on it) it changes color faster. The faster metal parts rub together the faster they wear. More friction = more wear fragments in the oil among other things... Not trying to start a flame war. That's just my .02.. Take it for what it's worth..
    We can make all sorts of assumptions of our motor oils usable life span based off of color, smell, and the way it feels between our finger tips. But the only true way to know for sure is with Used Oil Analysis (UOA). You might find that if you sent your oil with 3,000-miles of service on it for a UOA, that scientifically you’d know the exact service life is of the oil in your car under your specific driving habits.

CompSyn

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by CompSyn View Post
    We can make all sorts of assumptions of our motor oils usable life span based off of color, smell, and the way it feels between our finger tips. But the only true way to know for sure is with Used Oil Analysis (UOA). You might find that if you sent your oil with 3,000-miles of service on it for a UOA, that scientifically you’d know the exact service life is of the oil in your car under your specific driving habits.

CompSyn
    damn... i should change my oil daily...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information