Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Royal purple

white/Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Royal purple

I just purchased royal purple motor oil this will be the first time ive used it. But my car has 137000 miles on it and i was told that if i switch to that oil and havin such high milage i would blow some seals, or it just wouldnt be good for my car. An my car is the 1999 Firebird V6 3800 series 2, is this true and if so what oil would be the best instead. Does the same thing apply to transmission fluid for my car and it is an automatic with minor slippage. Thank you

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The majority on here would probably run straight piss in their car before RP -- not being mean, just letting you know how this crowd feels. The fear that you have expressed is from the original synthetics which were found to cause leaks. Those oils lacked seal swelling agents that have long since been added. Best oils to run probably include Amsoil, Penzoil Platinum, and "German" Castrol (which I haven't figured out yet myself). There is a great oil thread on here somewhere that goes into some detail on oil selection.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

I believe its a bull, that if you change oils you'll cause leaks.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

i switched to full synthetic Pennzoil at 180,000 i have no leaks or issues what so ever

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

i wouldnt put RP in my car ever. RP is crap...most people on this site will agree with me

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I use Pennzoil Platinum.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I would'nt put RP in my lawn mower.. Or any other engine for that matter..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Silver
    04 Pontiac GTO

Schaeffers oil is the best in my opinion
    Ashes to ashes and dust to dust, if it wasn't for fords our tools would rust

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I would'nt put RP in my lawn mower.. Or any other engine for that matter..

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

rp is crap. sarge is the man to talk to about oil here is a link its long but you get a lot from it about oil.
    can http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1299
    Last edited by Sarge; 12-07-2009 at 03:24 PM.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    rp is crap. sarge is the man to talk to about oil here is a link its long but you get a lot from it about oil.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...ght=oil+junkie
    Fixed

Post Seal issues...

Quote Originally Posted by izzhemp View Post
    I just purchased royal purple motor oil this will be the first time ive used it. But my car has 137000 miles on it and i was told that if i switch to that oil and havin such high milage i would blow some seals, or it just wouldnt be good for my car. An my car is the 1999 Firebird V6 3800 series 2, is this true and if so what oil would be the best instead. Does the same thing apply to transmission fluid for my car and it is an automatic with minor slippage. Thank you
    Pajeff02 is correct about seal swelling agents. That said, you shouldn’t have any issues with the switch. In fact I switched from conventional petroleum based motor oil to Amsoil with a car that had 130,000-miles and have had no issues with leaks.

However, there is one leak causing phenomena that can come from any sort of lubricant switch on vehicles with higher mileage. It’s been said that over time and/or a combination of improper maintenance, some motor oils can contribute to deposit build-up. Such build-ups around seals can have a secondary sealing affect when aging seals begin to lose their ability to seal. When another competing chemistry from a differing motor oil’s additive package is introduced to the said higher mileage engine, the old oil deposits can begin to be removed by the new oils additive package. This in turn allows the failing seal to be exposed to the internal oil flow as designed at which point a leak can occur.

Further, this could be more of an issue with synthetic motor oils as they can have better cleansing abilities depending upon how they are formulated.

This condition could actually contribute to the myth that synthetic motor oils cause leaks when in reality it was a faulty seal to begin with and the oil was simply doing its job.

But again, as with my personal experience and witnessed by many others, the switch to synthetic is generally a non-issue.

Red
    2001 ws6

just ask sarge......he swears by royal purple
    u can switch to synthetic but u have to use synthetic for now on......thats the only "problem" you will have if you change to synthetic.....
    i run penzoil platinum personally.....

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

Cool

Royal purple was designed from scratch for the aluminum blocks with iron liners.I have been running it in my muscle car since day 1 it came out and it contains all the additives formulated specifically for are engines some people are just haters and would rather buy foreign oil . I like to keep the money in america where are people need the money
    Last edited by 402 Guru; 12-06-2009 at 12:25 PM. Reason: hhhhhhhaaaaaatttteeeeerrrrrrssssss

White
    01 SS Vert

Amsoil

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 402 Guru View Post
    Royal purple was designed from scratch for the aluminum blocks with iron liners and i have been running it in my Muscle Car since day 1 it came out and it contains all the additives formulated specifically for are engines some people are just hatters and would rather buy foreign oil . I like to keep the money in america where are people need the money
    wow this has fail written all over it...

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post
    Dude don't be a hater let me put my hater blockers on there we go you're gone. What was that you like buying foreign products so you can help obama make are country in an even more of a recession you have to think about our kids not your own selfish needs. if everybody bought usa made products then we would have more jobs and the best oils in the world are formulated from scratch from racing applications to daily drivers it all depends on your application and what they put in it . If you cant take the heat trans am 1973 then stay outta the kitchen
    Last edited by 402 Guru; 12-06-2009 at 12:43 PM.

Impulse Blurr
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post
    And not very well at that. On several fronts. I think it's a doppleganger.
    I'm not a big fan of Royal Purple. Presently I'm running Pennzoil platinum and when that is over I'm going Amsoil. I'm already running Amsoil in my differential. My mileage is only 48k but I don't think switching to synthetic should create a problem for you. CompSyn's breakdown was pretty comprehensive. I would change it at 5k the first 2 or 3 times for it is bound to strip a lot of contamination from the inside of your engine. That is to say it should get dirty quick. And I'm not a "troll" regardless of what the ..... below me says.
    Internet Troll:In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2] Says the "thing" that brought politics into an oil discussion. I am done, end of discussion.
    Last edited by Goat-E; 12-06-2009 at 01:00 PM.

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

Troll you wonder why u have infractions .This is for comments on Royal purple not for Trolling goate

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

Quote Originally Posted by Goat-E View Post
    And not very well at that. On several fronts. I think it's a doppleganger.
    I'm not a big fan of Royal Purple. Presently I'm running Pennzoil platinum and when that is over I'm going Amsoil. I'm already running Amsoil in my differential. My mileage is only 48k but I don't think switching to synthetic should create a problem for you. CompSyn's breakdown was pretty comprehensive. I would change it at 5k the first 2 or 3 times for it is bound to strip a lot of contamination from the inside of your engine. That is to say it should get dirty quick. And I'm not a "troll" regardless of what the ..... below me says.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goat-E View Post
    And not very well at that.
    wow what a troll you had 4 words up thereand then you post this long drawn out letter then edit everything you sayed im happy we have moderators that give out infracions to people that deserve them. That is a great example of a Troll.. anyways Royal purple is Awesome and as long as it keeps money in america im for it amsoil is a great product but royal purple was designed for are engines in particular
    Last edited by 402 Guru; 12-06-2009 at 12:49 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information