Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

red
    2000 trans am

rode in a t rex cammed car today.

well guys, I know every one has their different opinions on whats street material. first off The car is a 99 ta m6 full bolt ons, lt's, true duals,ls6 intake etc. he is running a 4.10 gear right now and the stock ten bolt is still alive for now anyways. stock bottom end,stock heads just cam with supporting mods springs push rods think he said he also did an oil pump and of course a timing chain. I know the t-rex has been out for awhile but i believe its a 242 248 on a 110 lsa not sure on lift but i am assuming over 600 lol. Anyways just wanted to say how impressed i was with the car...GOD did that thing pull hard. I really liked it very aggressive it did surge a tiny bit at low rpm's but i think his tune is pretty decent. the car was extremely obnoxious very loud and loping like a sob. The smell of Raw fuel was very noticeable i couldn't even hear the damn radio lol probably due to his exhaust being dumped under the car before the axle. But all in all call me crazy BUT I LOVED IT! Im sure it needs more gear like a 4.30 or something of that nature and i know the guys with torquer v2 cams and 228 etc cams will chime in about "power under the curve" and i for sure respect that. My friend has a 228 cam in his ss and it does pull nice and strong through the whole power band and thats fine and dandy. But i got to tell ya guys I loved the way that cam acted. it has to be spun a little and im sure there is room for alot more power considering that cam will prob pull to 7k + think he had his limiter set at around 6800. But just love the nature of the car i got to drive it around town a little and sure it was a little bit of pain in the ass but I just loved it, car was shaking loping all over it self people were giving us dirty looks rolling up their windows. the raw smell of fuel and it thing will rip your face off around 3k and up loved it. I think i would enjoy putting up with something like that. All in all might ditch the tsp 233/239 cam and buy a trex. Im not out to win any races just want to enjoy my weekend car and i think i really do enjoy the violent nature little surge and a little bucking gave the car a little character imo. Firebird jones you like big cams it seems like what ya think? got my flame suite on guys and i know most would think im crazy but i really really enjoyed it compared to other cammed cars. just fun all the way around. opinions?

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I have similar mods to a friend of mine, but he has a T-Rex and I have a mild cam. He has about 500lbs less in his car too.

Blows my doors off...pretty impressed with that cam.

The 242/248 seems to be a popular "go to" cam profile for most engine brands of various sizes. I run those duration numbers in one particular car I have with an auto behind it.
    I don't see it as abnormal or overkill by any means. Very easy to live with when you have a manual trans and some rear gear.

red
    2000 trans am

thanks. think i will sell tsp 233/239 to a friend and order a t rex. t

red
    2000 trans am

i don't want to start anything as i respect the whole under the curve thing. But i truly think this cam will pull away hard from my other buddys tsp 228 car. probably use a little more gear like a 4.30 but it seems ok with the 4.10s pulls really hard in mid range. ordered t rex this morning cant wait to get it and install it in my ta. gonna throw some 4.10's in the ten bolt probably throwing away money for sure. but i will soon get me a 12 bolt
    Last edited by 00redta88; 01-18-2012 at 11:39 PM.

red
    2000 trans am

anyone on here driving a t rex cam on the street? maybe not a dd but a street/strip car?

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I've seen it done, not sure from a personal stand point though.

red
    2000 trans am

my buddy cruises his alot but his idea of streetabilty is does it get hot? if no lets roll lol. Im kinda their with him just wondering if i will be happy with the 4.10's. like i said have drove his car twice seemed great but wondering if it may be even better with more gear?

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

If gas mileage isn't a concern there shouldnt be a problem doing it. Just make sure you have a good tuner that can make it idle. As long as it doesn't die it should be liveable. Probably get some cam surge though.

Better with more gear? I'd say yes, but I'm a gear nut .

Depends on the size tire you run on the back, but ideally you want enough gear in the car to cross the finish line in high gear at about 2-300 rpm above your shift points.
    So with an engine that will spin and make power to 7,000 rpm you'll want to cross just above that for best ET's. With that in mind, (depending on tire) a 4.10 probably isn't enough. You are looking more along the lines of a 4.56. The next question,,,,is the engine shortblock built solid so it will spin those rpm's reliably?

Just a street car and you don't care about ET? Then the 4.10 would be a happy "middle of the road" gear.

Red
    99 Z28

tell him to put 4.56s in it.. The T-rex seems to LOVE that gear. We have done, 3.42s, 4.10s, and the 4.56s... I personally with the t-rex would not go lower than 4.56s if I was given the choice. The car will be a completely different animal with those gears in it.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

G5X4 is another good one in that same neighborhood.

red
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Better with more gear? I'd say yes, but I'm a gear nut .

Depends on the size tire you run on the back, but ideally you want enough gear in the car to cross the finish line in high gear at about 2-300 rpm above your shift points.
    So with an engine that will spin and make power to 7,000 rpm you'll want to cross just above that for best ET's. With that in mind, (depending on tire) a 4.10 probably isn't enough. You are looking more along the lines of a 4.56. The next question,,,,is the engine shortblock built solid so it will spin those rpm's reliably?

Just a street car and you don't care about ET? Then the 4.10 would be a happy "middle of the road" gear.
    don't really care to much about et to much like i said i have drove his car a few times on the street and LOVE IT and i have drove small cammed cars as well such as a tsp 228. I just like the manors of the car most call me crazy but hell i think it gives the car a little character lil cam surge/bucking doesn't bother me at all I loved every minute of the car. his car his catless with true duals dumped I even loved the smell of the gas fumes! Just a great ride. I think i will enjoy it in my t a very much for nice weather and weekend cruises. far as racing goes maybe a trip or two to the track on fun nights but nothing serious yet if i do any racing at all it will be from a roll. Just really truly enjoyed his car compared to other cammed cars i have rode in and drove. def doesn't make power under the curve but still a great time and peforms well in the mid range and up high too. I ordered mine so its coming and going in asap when it arrives. got tr push rods and the springs were comp 921's i believe i will double check that and let u guys know. but basically for what im doing will a 4.10 gear be fine?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I never rode in a car with a cam that large so I'm not sure about the gear. My cam is fairly aggressive. 230/236, 613/613, 111'+1 and it surges a little at cruising speeds. I have Strange 12 bolt with 4:11s and if I could do over would get 4:56s just so I could run a 28" tire at the track but for street use the 4:11s are ok with me.

When I run high strung engines like that, I prefer the optimal gear. 4.56 would be the ticket, and with a double overdrive it's still easily drivable.
    But like I was saying, and also mentioned above, I also prefer a 28" tire. That's 2" taller than a stock sized tire (but it's only a 5mph difference).
    If you already have 4.10's, I'd probably leave it. I wouldn't bother doing a gear swap in a 10 bolt.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Dont kid yourself man, You will get PLENTY of bucking from the 233/239 cam lol

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    When I run high strung engines like that, I prefer the optimal gear. 4.56 would be the ticket, and with a double overdrive it's still easily drivable.
    But like I was saying, and also mentioned above, I also prefer a 28" tire. That's 2" taller than a stock sized tire (but it's only a 5mph difference).
    If you already have 4.10's, I'd probably leave it. I wouldn't bother doing a gear swap in a 10 bolt.
    You know top speed in 4th with 4.56?

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    I get a tich with my el torro and its milder than anything posted. But its lsa is 111+3

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    You know top speed in 4th with 4.56?
    Varies with tire size obviously.
    www.f-body.org/gears

red
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    lol not looking for bucking just saying it doesn't bother me at all. I sill have the tsp 233/239 laying around but ordered a t rex. my buddys car is f*ckin amazing man. its not a cam for someone who wants awesome driveablilty but for me its all about smile factor here.

Thread Information