Thread: rod bolts!

navy blue
    1998 camaro ss

rod bolts!

I got a 98 ss, and i'm going to be changing a weeping oil pan gasket soon. Hope this dont Sound like too dumb of a question, but whileIm in there, would there be anyway possible to throw some ARP rod bolts in there? Accessable? If so, what would the proper procedure be? Torque specs? Thanks guys

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

You have to take the rods and pistons out of the engine to do so. If you pull them out you should also do the crank bearings and the rear main seal. If you are going to do all that I would do a rebuild on the entire engine. How many miles to you have on your engine.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

navy blue
    1998 camaro ss

64, 000 never drive the damn thing. Just thougt about those weak rod bolts. Or so ive heard. How weak? Startin to get modded up pretty good though.

Mystic Teal Metallic:320c
    1998 Camaro Z/28

with the oil pan off you can access the rod bolts just gotta turn engine by hand to get them all. thats what i did when i replaced oil pan gasket. you gotta support the motor and drop the k member an inch or two tho, im not sure of torque specs i dont remember what it is.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Not yet mention but with ARP rod bolts you'll need to have the rods honed to have put them back in "round". Otherwise when you torque the ARP bolts to spec they will oval the bearing then causing failure.

Stock rod bolts are good for a lot of mods, unless you're going for a FI monster. Then rod bolts won't be the only thing you'll need to upgrade.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Not yet mention but with ARP rod bolts you'll need to have the rods honed to have put them back in "round". Otherwise when you torque the ARP bolts to spec they will oval the bearing then causing failure.

Stock rod bolts are good for a lot of mods, unless you're going for a FI monster. Then rod bolts won't be the only thing you'll need to upgrade.
    Op yes you can and I would do rod bolts while you have the pan off.

This is true but I dont necessarily agree that the stock bolts are ok. 98-00 had much weaker bolts than the 01-02 cars and failures aren't uncommon. Generally the older bolts are sketchy anywhere over the stock redline. And the newer bolts are the ls6 bolts and are good to 6800-6900. Remember its not hp that makes the bolt stretch or break its rpms.

Also the arp bolts do require a resizing of the rod because they will distort the bore, there have been many failures after installing arp bolts without resizing. I would look into the KATECH bolts, they offer the same strength or better as arps but they do not require resizing. To the best of my knowledge they have never had a failure but they do cost $200 a set but for the peace of mind and ease of install over the arps the extra money is worth it imo.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    Op yes you can and I would do rod bolts while you have the pan off.

This is true but I dont necessarily agree that the stock bolts are ok. 98-00 had much weaker bolts than the 01-02 cars and failures aren't uncommon. Generally the older bolts are sketchy anywhere over the stock redline. And the newer bolts are the ls6 bolts and are good to 6800-6900. Remember its not hp that makes the bolt stretch or break its rpms.

Also the arp bolts do require a resizing of the rod because they will distort the bore, there have been many failures after installing arp bolts without resizing. I would look into the KATECH bolts, they offer the same strength or better as arps but they do not require resizing. To the best of my knowledge they have never had a failure but they do cost $200 a set but for the peace of mind and ease of install over the arps the extra money is worth it imo.

I didn't know that, thanks. I love learning something new.

navy blue
    1998 camaro ss

I will look into those for sure.I am still pretty much at stock rpm. Frost just added a couple hundred.its the pt 4000 yank that just always keeps them rpms up. I love it though. I could just put them in one by one and torque them then?thats it?

- - - Updated - - -

I will look into those for sure.I am still pretty much at stock rpm. Frost just added a couple hundred.its the pt 4000 yank that just always keeps them rpms up. I love it though. I could just put them in one by one and torque them then?thats it?

navy blue
    1998 camaro ss

I also wanted to finally start looking intoa heads/cam setup. Thats actually why I really want to replace them, but I have absolutely no idea what to go with. Was gonna maybe post a new thread about it cause I really need help with that one.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    You have to take the rods and pistons out of the engine to do so. If you pull them out you should also do the crank bearings and the rear main seal. If you are going to do all that I would do a rebuild on the entire engine. How many miles to you have on your engine.
    My bad. The LS1 rods have a screw in bolt without a nut, that is where they fail at high RPM.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

If your going heads and cam in a 98 then I would definitely look at rod bolts as you will be spinning to 6500 regularly of not more depending on the setup. Again the katechs are the only ones I d feel safe with installing without resizing and yes just follow their directions in the kit but basically remove 1 bolt at a time get a GOOD tq wrench and go to town

navy blue
    1998 camaro ss

Did some research on the katech bolts, and of course like always 2 different sides! One person said they stretched the rods .0065 when supposed to be .005-.006 I think.(By a so called engine builder). Not saying wrong in an way redbird, I wouldn't be lookin at them if it wasn't for your input. I just don't have enough knowledge to make my own decision on the subject, and the LAST thing I would want to have to deal with is a problem with the block.(considering $,time, resources).

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Supersport0126 View Post
    Did some research on the katech bolts, and of course like always 2 different sides! One person said they stretched the rods .0065 when supposed to be .005-.006 I think.(By a so called engine builder). Not saying wrong in an way redbird, I wouldn't be lookin at them if it wasn't for your input. I just don't have enough knowledge to make my own decision on the subject, and the LAST thing I would want to have to deal with is a problem with the block.(considering $,time, resources).
    I have seen that thread also and the poster never tested arps or even stock bolts to see what the runout on them was. Its up to you man however I def would not be spinning a H/C car to 6500 with stock 98 bolts.

If you do some more research also I guarantee you will not find anyone who has lost a motor due to the katechs. OTOH do the same search for arps and you will find many puked bearings.

If your still uneasy contact katech and speak with them directly. Or start a thread and ask people who run them. Arp's flat out say resizing needed on the package. The katechs were engineered for stock rods and use in the c5r motor.

navy blue
    1998 camaro ss

I'm most likely gonna go with them man, you know how you just hear different opinions,experiences about anything and everything on this site. Like I stated before, It's just a matter of keepin that ls1 safe. I'll stay posted though, when I do get them, whenever that might be, and let ya know the results. Appreciate the good info redbird!

Thread Information