Black
    99 Camaro ss

Rocker/Valve adjustment?

So I have been talking to a few guys about adjusting my valves after I do my cam swap in my 99 Camaro. I have built 2 350's, 1 454, 1 496 stroker, 1 440, and on all those motors they required valve adjustment. This is my first LS1 and they are saying I dont have to do this, I just slap them on and torque to the spec. But I look in my Camaro repair manual and it gives the sequence for the intake/exhaust valve adjustments. So for you that have done a cam swap did you adjust your valves? I have never seen a thread about this, and if there is sorry I missed it.......Thanks

98 Formula
    06 duramax

no, they don't have to be adjusted

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

if you are using the stock rockers, they will torque down to 22 ft-lbs. there is still and adjustment procedure to follow as not to break any bolts and get proper torque specs. you want to torque down the bolts while the lifters are on the base circle of the cam. this way, you are not pushing down on springs while tightening them down. so long as you take your time tightening them down, you won't break any bolts. here's what i do.

put them all on. take your time snugging them down with a ratchet. you'll see some of them start pushing the valves down as the lifter is on the lobe part of the cam. then go and torque them down to 22 ft-lbs. rotate the motor over one full revolution and re-torque them.

i've never broken any bolts and never had any come loose.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Black
    99 Camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    if you are using the stock rockers, they will torque down to 22 ft-lbs. there is still and adjustment procedure to follow as not to break any bolts and get proper torque specs. you want to torque down the bolts while the lifters are on the base circle of the cam. this way, you are not pushing down on springs while tightening them down. so long as you take your time tightening them down, you won't break any bolts. here's what i do.

put them all on. take your time snugging them down with a ratchet. you'll see some of them start pushing the valves down as the lifter is on the lobe part of the cam. then go and torque them down to 22 ft-lbs. rotate the motor over one full revolution and re-torque them.

i've never broken any bolts and never had any come loose.
    Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for. This makes perfect sense, set the motor tdc and basically follow the order in the book to torque the bolts on the closed valves. Rotate the motor, locate the other remaing valves that are closed and torque them......Thanks

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

anytime

Thread Information