Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

The resurrection thread! (Long back story)

It's been a long bumpy road with my 2000 1SC/1SZ Z28. I bought her used in 01, 13K red auto. The mod bug hit. I lowered it, added ZR1's, Free mods, lid, True duals dumped, SFC's, LCA's, etc. nothing special. I decided to drive through a puddle that I didn't think was deep with my lowered Free ram air modded Z28. This turned a V8LS1 into a Quasi V 5 cylinder. My insurance bought another motor and got it fixed. Shortly after I got run off the road by a tractor. I passed then he decided to turn into me (claimed he didn't see me he had no blinkers of any kind) I chose the mailbox vs a Bucket. Insurance fixed it yet again.

I paid her off in 06 and decided it was time to go big. I took a loan on the car, and contemplated strokers, turbos, superchargers, heads and cam etc. I then realized my 150K mile LS1 needed trans work, so I bought a 3600 vigilante and all the good stuff for the 4L60. I read about a bunch of blown 10 bolts on xx power and decided the rear need upgrading, que the Moser 9" with 31 spline axles, locker and 4.11's (yes it's an auto). After vaporizing almost half of my money, I started contemplating lesser engine builds. I finally ended up with a MS3 cam kit, headers, full TD's, LS6 intake the rest of the adjustable tubular bits under the rear to hook, kit for a "cam only" engine build .

I got it all put together and it ran 400 times faster, hell ya! Got her tuned, 360 to the wheels unlocked, and I started making plans to go to the track. I was to borrow my buddies slicks and wheels and visions of low 12's high 11's danced in my head. I drove it to town about 2 weeks after getting tuned, and on the way and the engine came apart. Chunks and antifreeze were all in the intake and throttle body. I began tearing down the engine and #4 piston had come apart. Further investigation revealed each piston had nice little crescents in them. Damn. I had done a cam in car swap and wasn't aware of the PTV issues with these cams. 360 to the wheels, unlocked, with bent valves and a 9". Damn it would have been sweet with straight valves. Now I'm paying back 12K on something that wont move.

Priorities changed, instead of saving up to fix the car, I bought an 05 GTO. I then got into more debt with other priorities and the Camaro sat. Fast foreward to 2012. I found a complete yet disassembled LS1 on cragslist for 300$. This was supposedly a low mile 01 vette motor destined for a Fox body, but his priorities changed. I made the deal and bought the engine. Over time I bought some more parts to rebuild this motor and flycut the pistons for the MS3 and began building. I fully assembled the bottom end and ran out of parts, time, and money and interest kind of faded. Motor sat covered in my carport for 2 years. Was buying little things here and there, 150 used NOS kit, Bare Dart pro 1's, etc. I was getting a little collection going, but had to buy some goodies for the now wife's GTO as well. Had a whole attic full of parts. Then her clutch went out and this happened http://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/gto-gets-refresh-180903/

She got my Darts because I was told they would suck with my small LS1 and big cam so let her have them, with plans for AFR's later. I took her 243's for now. After the GTO was done, I started on my Camaro again. I bought a new MS3 cam, and some other goodies needed to rebuild it, Cometic .045's, Harland Sharp 1.7's, new .660 valvesprings, new racetronix pump to replace the brand new one with less than 500 miles that sat for 8 years and locked up, and commenced to put it all back together.

It fired right up. Sounds wonderful! Hits much better than the old MS3 (all clearances checked this time no hits). 70PSI oil pressure, everything is churning good, no noises. Woot woot! Let it run over the week several hours at a time buttoning up things here and there. I took a few drives around the block, nothing hard nothing over half pedal. Time for a couple "spirited runs" . This thing pulls Hard as hell! Makes the GTO feel pretty slow. I ran some exhaust back to the axle with my X in place so it's not so loud. Take another spirited run. Holy crap this is what I'm talking about. As soon as the RPM's drop back down close to idle I notice my oil pressure is about gone. Drop it down to keep RPM's up and the pressure goes up but if idle comes down so does the pressure. Ah hell here we go.

I Didn't notice any knocks, but soon as she gets hot oil psi drops and now even cold won't get over 30 psi. Time to drain the oil, yep it's silver. There's lots of stuff on the magnet including the aluminum foil like bearing coating, well this one is done for now. Should have had all the rods resized etc. Instead I bought stock bearings and just checked endplay etc. and put it together because everything "looked" good. Shoulda took it back apart after sitting 2 years as well and checked the lube on everything before I put it in and fired it up. Shoulda coulda woulda, I'll tear it down soon to find out what happened.

I started looking into having the shortblock redone by a shop and prices ranged from 1500 to 2K. For a refresh? Wait a sec what do stroker kits run? Started calculating and came up short. That quick blast had me hooked again though. Made some tough decisions, sold 2 guns and another vehicle, add to the little Taxes I got back and now I have some money to make something happen.

I was going to buy a stroker kit for the LS1 but instead decided to go the 408 route. Located a local junkyard and they had one they just pulled out of a smoking truck. Ran good, just smoked like hell. Bought the shortblock for 250$ Score! Got it to my machine shop to get it checked out. Under all the crap was 10 stamped on the pistons. Bores looked too new to be this old and dirty. Checked the bore. Fuck it's been bored recently 40 over. They checked everything though and there's plenty of bore left it doesn't need a rebore just a hone, so I'm going with it. Going to make a 410 out of the LQ4.

So far the block is in the shop getting cleaned and honed. I already ordered ARP main studs Callies dragonslayer/Wiseco kit stroker kit. I plan on spraying it for now and I want the bottom end built to take what I can dish out and not worry about it. I'm stuck with my current Cam and intake combo MS3/LS6 until I can get some more money in. I bought another set of the 205 Darts for now as they were cheap and that's all I could afford for now and they're better than the 243's. A little N2O should make it more fun. This time I'm having the shop build the bottom end. I know I can do it, however I just prefer them to especially if I plan to spray it. So for now the plan is hatched parts are ordered and as soon as the motor gets back there should be pics of the install (again). I was going to put all the others up but now it's pointless. This time I'm shooting for 10's. Might not happen until I get a few more parts traded but in the meantime....... stay tuned for the moment I'm refocused.
    Last edited by slims00ls1z28; 02-10-2015 at 09:19 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Damn and I thought I had it bad.....

Please, please check out how to check for push rod length and PTV prior to start up.

That cam for that much cubes will make it seem like you go a 228 cam in a LS1.

Now that you have a 410, you should seriously look at LS3 heads. You got the ci, so it would benifit more from that style of heads vs cathedral style. Maybe even LS7 heads too. But then you are also looking at either a LS3 style intake or LS7 intake depending on the heads you get.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 02-10-2015 at 08:23 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic

looking forward to updates...

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Ya I was looking into the LS3's, but would have to get intake TB etc. My builder also said that cam would not be as good as a good cathedral port for now, almost pulled the trigger on som CNC LS3's and LS7's on Tech but decided with the better stroker kit which left less for heads. Eventually I want some LS7's and bigger cam, that's definately on the agenda, just came up short this go around and have the itch to get it back running.

Ya I learned my lesson with PTV that time. I have my comp cams checker now and did it and the clay thing this go around and on the wife's GTO.
    Last edited by slims00ls1z28; 02-10-2015 at 09:15 AM.
    My Toy 00 Z28 1SC A4 - MS3 cam with supporting valvetrain, Milled LS6 heads, LS7 lifters, , ARP rod and mains, All free mods, pacesetters, True duals, moser 9 with 4.11's and Detroit Locker, Vig 3600 tuned, tubular SFC,adj PHR, LCA, adj TA, PHR reloc, LCA reloc. all with poly bushings, ZR1's and Nitto DR's (315).

My other toy 05 GTO LS2 M6- Comp XR269HR cam, 918's, hardened pushrods, Dart Pro 1's, pacesetters, X-pipe, flowmaster 1 chambers, TSP oil pump, Tick master cylinder. Pedders RR bushings, end links, SB bushings, tie rods and strut mounts, total performance poly F&R bushings. Polk DVC 12", Infinity Kappa 6.5 component and 6x9's with corresponding amps.

Her toy 77 F100-6.6/c6. All original (for now)

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

wow...You've been through a lot. Good luck with everything moving forward.

Scott, I can honestly say that he has you beat now

Navy Blue Metallic

Yeah I'll gladly pass that crown over....

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Updates are slow waiting on parts and work has me busy lately. Block is in shop and parts were ordered but the crank was on backorder. They finally arrived. As par for the course though something was amiss. Looking at the boxes I noticed the crank box said compstar on it. I opened it up and checked the numbers and sure enough its a damn compstar not the dragonslayer, I ordered and paid for. So now this crank is on another 4 week backorder (last one was a 3 week that turned into 2 months) and I'm sending this one back to Callie's. Sigh.......maybe it'll be running by fall.....

Navy Blue Metallic

I went with a K1 because of that. I wasn't going to wait another 3 months for a crank.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Finally everything arrived! Brought it to the machine shop this weekend to have the whole thing put together and clearanced. Attachment 26267

Hopefully soon Ill be ready to pull this other motor and slide this one right in.

Dropped my heads off with the kit to have them planed and ported. So far we're back on a roll. Ready to get back in it and do some driving, starting it up just to move around the yard is just not cutting it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by slims00ls1z28; 06-10-2015 at 08:05 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic

So what did you get?

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Just got the rotating assembly block and heads, I've had the rest in the LS1 that going on to the 410 but below is what I have right now. The LS1 is still in the car so I can move it around when need to but it is coming out and losing its goodies. Below is what is going to be assembled.

.040 over LQ4 (didn't know it was but it's all within spec and just needed a freshening.
    Callies/Wiseco 410 stroker kit.
    Crank is the dragonslayer
    Rods are compstar with ARP 2000 bolts
    Wiseco 11.5 pistons
    Got the ARP Main stud kit
    Melling oil pump
    The Heads are Dart Pro 1 (205's) with Ferrea Valves BTR .660 valve springs titanium retainers hardened seats etc.
    Magic Stick 3 cam
    LS7 lifters
    Comp pushrods
    Harland Sharp 1.7's
    LS6 (for now) intake
    42# injectors
    Stock MAF and TB (for now)
    NOS single nozzle kit

Still have more parts to acquire just gotta do some more OT to get them, right now I got enough to get it running good for the first time in 8 years and maybe a time slip or two. Shooting for 10's NA then whatever I can get with spray.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I personally would have went with TFS ls3 heads and at least a ls3 intake of it were me and a custom cam. I have a similar build except I have a few more cubic inches, 421.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Navy Blue Metallic

Only 2 things I would consider changing is the cam and the intake/throttle body.

Big cubes like bigger intakes.

What injectors are you using?

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Don't remember exactly much on the injectors besides they were 42# bought them from a club member a while ago. I will eventually go with a hi-ram, 102TB, LS7 (or equivalent) heads, bigger injectors and bigger custom cam, right now I just have to use what I have. It will take several months to get all the others and I have to sell some of the stuff I have to get it such as the LS6 intake and probably the cam.

I almost went with a 425 but didn't want to risk it since I do plan on driving it on the street every now and then. Read too much bad stuff about a .060 over block with such a long stroke. Fortunately Wiseco custom made the size pistons I needed since my block was .040 over and I went with the 410 instead.

Black/ Silver

The hi-ram I would reconsider unless you want to have power up high in the rpm band. With it you are likely to lose a good deal of low down power.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

The Bottom end is finally done! Got it back from the shop. The previous owner of the block must have just done the work because they said the decking line boring etc all came out on the money. They were impressed with the "unbalanced" Callies kit. They said it needed very little to balance up. I ground the 6.0 of the front and painted it cast aluminum to try to pass it off as a LS1 as long as possible.

Attachment 26357

For some damn reason it still wont let me post pics! says over my quota
    Last edited by slims00ls1z28; 08-20-2015 at 06:46 AM.

Black/ Silver

Looking good. Are you posting pictures via photobucket?

Navy Blue Metallic

Rob are you still at Campbell? If so Will is there too.

Can't wait to see the end product.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Ya I have them on photobucket but this site wont let me transfer them over. It's weird.

Nope never been to Campbell.

Navy Blue Metallic

It may be photobucket. If you have a lot of pics posted or shared they have an amount that resets on your anniversary date that you signed up or you pay for membership.

I forgot you're at Hood, right?
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 08-20-2015 at 07:24 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information