Replacing timing Chain during cam swap

I am swapping cams in my LS6 (CTS-V) this weekend. As the car has 90k miles on it I wanted to install new timing chain and gears. I am looking at removing the oil pump. However, it looks like the only way to remove the oil pump is by removing the oil pan. The oil pickup tube it bolted to the pump and it can't be removed unless the pan is removed. Can you guys tell me what procedure you used to change the chain while it is installed in the car. To remove the pan I will have to jack up the engine. All of your comments would be appreciated. There is a bit of slop in the chain so I would like to get it done right.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Hopefully someone with a CTSV comes on this site and can help you out.

Most of us have LS1s, although yours sounds similar to the fbody as far as access and the LS6 shares a lot of parts with the LS1 including same oil pump design. I had to loosen the oil pan bolts about 1" and lower the pan toward the K member just enough to push the oil pickup tube down and swap the pump and timing chain.

It is a P.I.T.A. but is possible. Worth a try before you jack up the engine. Check your pickup tube O ring several times until you are 100% sure it is seated properly before you button it up....really common install error.

Good luck on your install!

White
    1998 Trans Am

It can be done by dropping the pan on top of the k-member, but it is a pain. If you suspend the motor off the shock towers, you can drop the k-member by pulling the motor mount bolts, the one steering rack bolt, and six k-member bolts and lower it down. it will hang down 6" - 8" from the shocks, which is enough to completely remove the oil pan...

Well I spend Saturday morning doing the dirty deed here. It was a pain, but not that bad. I just cleaned all the oil off with brake cleaner so it would not slip into the oil pan and asked for some devine assisrtance from above. Every little bit helps. The pan dropped a good 1.5 inches. Now I'm spending tomorrow putting in the new springs

Thanks for the guidance.

Thread Information