Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Replacing spark plugs after cam install for tune

Hey guys,

I called a local guy in the Tulsa area that is known for tuning LS1 engines. I recently did a Cam and spring install and put LT headers on last September, which was when I replaced the spark plugs to NGK Iridium plugs. He recomended replacing the plugs for optimal power before bringing it in for a tune. I told him that the plugs were replaced less than a year ago and the car isnt a DD so probably put only a few thousand miles on them. He said that they definately need to be changed then and he would change them every oil change if it was his car?! I have never heard of this and think that is excessive. Would you guys recommend this before I drop a few hundred on a tune. Thanks.
    Last edited by JehalinTA; 08-05-2011 at 02:33 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

NGK Iridium plugs have an 80,000 to 100,000 mile recommended change interval if I recall correctly. That being said, I would probably swap them out at about 25,000 to 40,000 miles, but that's just me. Unless a half of a horsepower is really going to make a difference to you, I think your plugs are probably fine. Changing spark plugs with every oil change is only a requirement if your engine burns more oil than gasoline.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Agree with Jeff. I see no reason to change plugs that often.

It would also throw a red flag up for having him tune it, at least for me. He may do a great job for all I know, but when someone says something like that, it makes me call into question how much they really do know. Being a little cautious about who works on your car isn't a bad thing, and can save you many future headaches.
    Last edited by Knight; 08-05-2011 at 05:13 PM.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Unless that thing is burning two quarts of oil between between changes your plugs will be fine.

Its a modern fuel injected vehicle with a coil per cylinder and a very short wire,kind of hard to foul them.

Get a hold of Steve Williams (Frost) and get one of his mail order tunes he knows his stuff.JMHO

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Thanks guys that makes more sense than what he said. The guy who answered the phone was different from a guy I talked to before at the shop so he may just be a front desk employee because the other guy appeared to be more knowledgeable. I have heard nothing but good things about Frost, however I heard that there is a benefit to getting it tuned on a dyno also it's nice to know numbers after mods. This shop said to do a speed-density test during the tune. I am no expert on tunes so I might do more research before taking it to his shop.

Thread Information