boycott wal-mart

silver
    98 T/A WS6

Smile replacing rockers/pushrods. need a little help

I know this has probably been beat to death, and i did a search but it seems like there are 2 opinions.

my valvetrain has become noisy, so im going to replace my rockers and pushrods to attempt to quiet them down. my question is basically about replacing the rockers. is there a specific sequence/procedure to do it? does one of the pistons have to be at tdc? if so, is there a mark on the crankshaft/camshaft gear to help me out? I have never done it before, so barney style might help. thanks.

silver
    1998 SS Z28

Thumbs up lash

you need to set the valves at TDC of each cyl. on the comprestion stroke. Start with #1 cyl and use the firing order to go around from cyl to cyl. If you can find a service man. there are cylinders you set the lash at the same time.Have fun..........pull all the plugs out with both side valve covers off and a big ratchet to turn ur LS over by hand. Have a budd put his finger in the spark plug hole .......turn and wa la TDC watch ure rockers n valves work on the other 3 strokes. You will see..Duck

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

you don't have to do the TDC method. all i do is unbolt the rockers, pull the pushrods, install new pushrods, install new rockers. take your time tightening them down. once you have snugged them down, then turn the motor over one full turn and go back through and snug them down. now, torque them to 22 ft-lbs. this assumes stock type rockers.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

boycott wal-mart

silver
    98 T/A WS6

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    you don't have to do the TDC method. all i do is unbolt the rockers, pull the pushrods, install new pushrods, install new rockers. take your time tightening them down. once you have snugged them down, then turn the motor over one full turn and go back through and snug them down. now, torque them to 22 ft-lbs. this assumes stock type rockers.
    this is what i thought, but as you can see by the 1st response, i keep getting conflicting opinions. i have always heard that ls1 rockers have no lash adjustments and could just be unbolted, replaced and torqued. I just dont want to end up doing it multiple times. i dont mean to question you, but if your sure about it being done this way, im gonna get started.

one more thing, i got some brand new 1.7 PRW rockers. i noticed you said "assuming stock rockers". is there anything i need to know about these?
    and the new pushrods are 7.400, correct?
    thanks a lot.
    Last edited by Semperfiws6; 05-27-2008 at 09:15 AM.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

actually, i said assuming stock TYPE rockers.

so long as your aftermarket rockers are tightened down the same way as stock rockers are, then you'll be fine.

silver
    1998 SS Z28

Good luck anyone can adjust a hyd lifter that way but I wouldn't.......just me! I have always ran 0 lash + 1/4 turn on my hyd. lifters you will gain a bit at top end. Old school yes but it works! Your new rockers came with poly locks? use them! what ever happend to good old solid cams those were the days twist'n sbcs to 8200....any way good luck.

boycott wal-mart

silver
    98 T/A WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Colduck View Post
    Good luck anyone can adjust a hyd lifter that way but I wouldn't.......just me! I have always ran 0 lash + 1/4 turn on my hyd. lifters you will gain a bit at top end. Old school yes but it works! Your new rockers came with poly locks? use them! what ever happend to good old solid cams those were the days twist'n sbcs to 8200....any way good luck.

are you sayin you just give them 1/4 turn after zero lash? no torque?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

ok well before going 'old school' on him:

semperfiws6 - what rockers are you going with? need to follow the manufacturers instructions.

the LS series motors aren't like the 'old school' SBC of yesteryear. the lifters need to be preloaded to around .100 -.120" deep. anything less and it can be noisy and may cause the knock sensors to go off.

Grey?
    78 BMW 320i with mods

I dumped this post; NO OLD SCHOOL HERE!

I must have thought I was in the LT1 discussion. My apologies..
    Last edited by epmedia; 05-30-2008 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Incorrect Info

boycott wal-mart

silver
    98 T/A WS6

Quote Originally Posted by epmedia View Post
    My experience with stock lifters (hydraulic) is to just take off the darned covers and adjust the rockers when the engine is idling. Gee Whizzz.... (BE CAREFULL IN THERE!!)

About 1/8 of a turn loosening, until it TAPS loudly. AND THEN about 1/8 turn tightening until the tap gets quiet. THEN keep tightenining and additional 3/4 to 1 full turn slowly. DO IT SLOW, to give the oil time to bleed out of the lifter. KEEP IN MIND that if you have a stuck lifter; you'll have to adjust it as a solid lifter, OR pull your intake and replace the lifter(s).

If it only taps when the engine is cold, it's common..

619-212-0016
    whats the difference between ajusting solid/hydraulic lifters?

Grey?
    78 BMW 320i with mods

Quote Originally Posted by Semperfiws6 View Post
    whats the difference between ajusting solid/hydraulic lifters?
    BELAY MY LAST POST!

Get yourself a book on your car / engine. My apologies...

You may just need to change your engine oil and filter. With hotter weather, you may want to consider using a different weight of oil that is ok by recommended specs. Stock lifters usually respond well to new engine oil.
    Last edited by epmedia; 05-30-2008 at 12:37 PM.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

LS engines use rocker bolts that just need to be torqued like Mr. said. It is not like the old shaft style of the old school engine where you need lash adjusting etc . Put your new stuff in and do like Mr said. Old school you tighten a nut on the shaft and could over tighten them. Over tighten these and you will just break the bolt. The 1.7's should be attached just like the stock ones.

Mag Red
    2002 Vette

Here is the GM procedure, straight from the service manual:

Red
    96 TA WS6 with LS1/Trans

LS1 Rocker Replacement?

Don't mean to butt in on your post just have a similar question.

I have to replace the stock rockers in my 02 LS1 SS because one of the rockers has a bad bearing in it. The engine is stock and I don't plan on moddifying it any time soon. I just want to replace the rockers with either 1.7 like the stock or maybe the 1.75 or 1.8 if I got that right. Basically what I wanted to know is if I can replace the stock rockers with aftermarket full roller rockers with either the stock ratio or up to the 1.8's without changing anything else in the heads for now? I suspect I can use the 1.7 aftermarket rockers without any issues but Im not sure about the higher ratio rockers?

The reason, if anyone is curious for not moddifying the engine right now, is money and the fact that I put an 02 LS1 Camaro SS/Trans into my 96 TA and I haven't driven it since July of 07. So basically I just want to get the car done and back on the road for now. The engine runs fine and sounds great, but the ASE certified mechanic helping me with my TA says one of the rockers has a bad bearing and should be replaced before it gets too bad. We drove the TA today and it was a great feeling! Still working on relocating some of the electrical pins, but got the starter part done and the fuel pump part done as well. Anyways, Im rambling, so if anyone knows whether or not I can use the higher ratio rockers without changing anything else in the heads please let me know. Thanks

Grey?
    78 BMW 320i with mods

LS1 Rocckers

Quote Originally Posted by Snakes4 View Post
    Don't mean to butt in on your post just have a similar question. Anyways, Im rambling, so if anyone knows whether or not I can use the higher ratio rockers without changing anything else in the heads please let me know. Thanks
    If $ is an issue, do what the ASE certified mechanic recommends. If it were me, and $ was an issue, I'd get one stock replacement rocker and make sure the oil is getting to it (since the bearing is going bad on the rocker).

If feasible, get a book manual, or more input from the ASE certified mechanic, and replace all the rockers ?

Good luck,

PS: I have never worked with LS1 rockers, only solid adjustable, and hydraulic...

hugger orange

Don't mean to butt in on your post just have a similar question.

I have to replace the stock rockers in my 02 LS1 SS because one of the rockers has a bad bearing in it. The engine is stock and I don't plan on moddifying it any time soon. I just want to replace the rockers with either 1.7 like the stock or maybe the 1.75 or 1.8 if I got that right. Basically what I wanted to know is if I can replace the stock rockers with aftermarket full roller rockers with either the stock ratio or up to the 1.8's without changing anything else in the heads for now? I suspect I can use the 1.7 aftermarket rockers without any issues but Im not sure about the higher ratio rockers?
    yup you can get direct bolt in 1.7 or 1.8 rockers with no mods or issues. id go 1.8 if your going to buy them......but stock rockers are pretty cheap if you want to save money.
    but i agree, on checking to see why your rocker went bad/got no oil first.
    hey man dont feel bad about not wanting to spend a bunch of money, its bad times and gonna get worse before it gets better

Red
    96 TA WS6 with LS1/Trans

Ok, thanks guys. Just one more question. Ive seen 1.75 roller rockers on ebay. Is there much of a difference between the stock 1.7 and the 1.8 rockers? Just curious, because I plan on replacing all 16 with new rockers.

hugger orange

Ok, thanks guys. Just one more question. Ive seen 1.75 roller rockers on ebay. Is there much of a difference between the stock 1.7 and the 1.8 rockers? Just curious, because I plan on replacing all 16 with new rockers.
    if your going to do it id just get the 1.8s

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    if your going to do it id just get the 1.8s
    anyone have a recomendation on a good 1.8 budget upgrade rocker?

Thread Information