Thread: Replacing cam

red
    2000 WS6 TRANS AM

Replacing cam

I have a 2000 ls1 ws6. the performance is degrading and I believe I have a worn cam shaft that isnt allowing the valves to work properly

I want to replace the cam any suggestions on which replacement I should get that allows me to perform a direct replacement. What else should I change on the engine while I'm doing the cam swap?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

How about a basic tune up first before you go ripping into things? How many miles on the plugs and wires, fuel filter and air filter? Has the MAF and throttle body been cleaned lately? If you are still running catalytic converters, any chance one or both have gone bad and are choking your exhaust? How about the front O2 sensors?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Jeff is correct, start checking other things. The chances of your camshaft being worn to the amount you are referring to or estimating is slim to none. You need to give more information on the problem, get a good scan of the car(codes), state when the last tune up was performed; including but not limited to, fuel filter, spark plugs, plug wires, MAF cleaning, air filter (what kind and last oiling if K&N),any recent work performed and O2 sensors. Also, M6 or A4 should be included.

State the following in your next post, and I'm sure the knowledgeable people around here can help you.

Old Member, New Username BrownsMillsAntz's Avatar

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

Oil pump(ported or aftermarket), pushrods, timing chain, then get a tune

Heads/Cam/Intake/Stall.
    404 Rwhp uncorrected @ 6400

red
    2000 WS6 TRANS AM

I posted last year about the problems I have. Had a baby, took a new job and moved since then so the car has been sitting for a while. A4 trans am. Losing power while driving and while in park when I rev it it studders. Get o2 codes if i run it hard, but thats just due to the engine issues. No other codes. Fixed intake temp sensor, replaced plugs, oil changed, k&n filter cleaned, cleaned tb, cleaned maf, found broken weld above drivers cat at the 3 bolt flange,fixed that, cleaned intake, Car runs okay until u need to give it a bit of gas. Studders a bit when its not running right. Haven't done a compression check but took it to a shop and the guy wanted to rebuild it for 4k or sell me his z06 engine then offered to buy it....I pretty much felt like he wanted the car or 4k$ to 5k$ to fix the car. If i could drive it there and back it didn't seem like it was $5000 dollar problem.
    Last edited by mm3306; 12-02-2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Spelling

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Replace the fuel filter and then check your pressure at the rail. Clean the MAF with CRC Spray MAF cleaner and carefully inspect the PCV system for a vacuum leak. The rubber fitting on the side of the throttle body and the plastic tubing at the back passenger side of the engine tend to be the problem areas.

Thread Information