regarding fuel

This is a discussion on regarding fuel within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I bought my 98 T/A a couple months back, being here in northwest Ohio, I'm just now getting it out ...

Arrest-Me Red
    1998 T/A

regarding fuel

I bought my 98 T/A a couple months back, being here in northwest Ohio, I'm just now getting it out regularly. When I bought it, the guy said he ran about 2 gallons of Turboblue per tank since pump gas is s**t. I figured that's fine since there's a race fuel pump not too far from my house. Turns out that gas pump is Cam2 Leaded. There is no unleaded high octane pump within 50 miles of my house (the car was bought 60 miles away Lol). Is this fine to run in my car (I don't have cats and my ses light comes on every now and then for the o2 slow sensors). I have not put any thing in it but 93 so far...

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Here's the scoop - dumping super high octane fuel into your car is like flushing money down the toilet. You actually hurt performance rather than enhance it. The PCM has separate timing tables for high and low octane fuels. High octane (depending upon where you are in the country) can be anything from 91 to 94 octane. This is what your PCM is expecting you to dump in the tank. High octane fuels are more resistant to knock... meaning the chemical bonds that are broken during the combustion process are better stuck together. As such, the engine requires more ignition advance to take advantage of higher octane fuels. Timing is everything in the cylinder and you want the pressure from the combustion process to start pushing down on the top of the piston at just the right moment. Too soon and you get knock and can damage your engine. Too late and you waste the energy from the combustion process. Since higher octane fuels are slower burning, you are wasting their true power potential dumping them in your tank. You won't hurt anything... but you will not necessarily make more power either.

Arrest-Me Red
    1998 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Here's the scoop - dumping super high octane fuel into your car is like flushing money down the toilet. You actually hurt performance rather than enhance it. The PCM has separate timing tables for high and low octane fuels. High octane (depending upon where you are in the country) can be anything from 91 to 94 octane. This is what your PCM is expecting you to dump in the tank. High octane fuels are more resistant to knock... meaning the chemical bonds that are broken during the combustion process are better stuck together. As such, the engine requires more ignition advance to take advantage of higher octane fuels. Timing is everything in the cylinder and you want the pressure from the combustion process to start pushing down on the top of the piston at just the right moment. Too soon and you get knock and can damage your engine. Too late and you waste the energy from the combustion process. Since higher octane fuels are slower burning, you are wasting their true power potential dumping them in your tank. You won't hurt anything... but you will not necessarily make more power either.
    Even if I am running a cai, 120 shot, LNC2000 and exhaust cut out with a Tune by Frost? I prolly should've mentioned that in the first post...my bad

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Again, no harm in running it, but my guess is that your tune is not set up for super high octane. I have a good friend who always goes to the track and dumps "the good stuff" in his car at better than $8 a gallon while I just sit there and shake my head. Here is an interesting read (series of articles): Octane Number And Engine Performance

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Agree with Jeff on this one. Unless the car has been tuned to take advantage of the higher octane, use the recommended 91-94.
    It's on jackstands.

Arrest-Me Red
    1998 T/A

I really do appreciate the advice guys. Thanks!

Thread Information