Thread: redlining

redlining

How many times can a basically stock ls1 hit the rev limiter before you start to have problems. The car in question is a '98 m6 z28 with mti lid, hyper tech III tune, msd wires and 4.10's. I run it pretty hard and have been into the red a few times only hitting the limiter twice for maybe a half second, with the 4.10 gears 6k+ comes pretty fast and I don't want to bend a valve or run lean or something worse.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

The limiter is there for a reason...so as long as you don't raise it or live in the redline you shouldn't have any major probs. But just like anything else in life...the harder you beat something the less life you're gonna have out of it.

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    The limiter is there for a reason...so as long as you don't raise it or live in the redline you shouldn't have any major probs. But just like anything else in life...the harder you beat something the less life you're gonna have out of it.
    Just shift a little early until you get used to how fast it hits redline. Running lean won't be a problem. On a stock motor, it's close to impossible to go lean by merely pulling high revs, especially since you've got a 98 with bigger injectors. Moral of the story: try not to hit it, but if you hit it briefly a couple times, don't worry aboot it.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Invest in a shiftlight of some kind if it concerns you. Try to set it about 5500 to give you time to react to the light and shift before it hits the limiter.

Part of the problem is that these tachs usually resond slow, especially in first gear and even more so after adding 4.10's. Just resist the temptation to crank up the limiter with your programmer....
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by hammertime
    Invest in a shiftlight of some kind if it concerns you. Try to set it about 5500 to give you time to react to the light and shift before it hits the limiter.
    Yea, stock tach=not so great. Anybody know who sells those 2-1/16" digital readout tachs that have a built-in shift light. Saw it on a video on streetfire.net.

a shift light seems like the best solution, i just dont want a huge light sitting on the dash. I think i saw a post about where to hide one of those small raptor shift lights so i think im gonna go that route.

Still learning

Black
    2000 SS

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ht_install.htm

this is what i did cause i did not want to see the light everyday.

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

You can also get just a stand-alone shift light and attach it to the side of your a-pillar. I've got one attached to my gauge pod there, and it's right where you can see it while still looking ahead, but it doesn't obstruct your view of the road.

Quote Originally Posted by SSJoe15
    http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ht_install.htm

this is what i did cause i did not want to see the light everyday.
    BINGO!! thanks

what kind of shift light is that in the write up? it says matthew harlan but nothing comes up when i do a search.

Still learning

Black
    2000 SS

http://www.harlan-engineering.com/store/store.html then click on shiftlight on the upper left.
    Last edited by SSJoe15; 03-25-2006 at 09:44 AM.

Thread Information