Rebuild my LS1 or Buy a newer used one??

This is a discussion on Rebuild my LS1 or Buy a newer used one?? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I have a 98 TA auto. It has been my baby for the past 3 years but, i have put ...

white
    98 ta

Rebuild my LS1 or Buy a newer used one??

I have a 98 TA auto. It has been my baby for the past 3 years but, i have put a lot of miles on it (206,xxx). I will never sell it and am buying a new vehicle and will make the TA a weekend driver. However, before i make it a weekend driver i need to spend some time and money on it now that i can let it sit and not have to drive it every day. It is starting to have quite abit of cold start noise (knocking). I want it freshened up with maybe a cam, ls6 intake and some computer work. Do i just need to rebuild it or buy a newer motor. Is it difficult to rebuild an LS1 compared to an iron block small block? Or can any old machine shop rebuild it?

I can't decide what to do. What would you do? Remember i'm not trying to build a 500 hp motor just one that will keep up with all the new shit coming out today. Trying to do this the cheapest with the same results.

What do you think?

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

I would just run thorugh it and freshen it up like you said. Put new rings, bearings, and arp bolts. A nice cam intake headers and a dyno tune and let it go. Buy ing a used motor can get into some trouble not knowing.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

I agree, you have a known solid running engine. You could really open a can of worms starting off with another used one in any other condition. I don't know that I would take it to any old shop that rebuilds engines, but it depends on what is available to you.
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

White with silver stripes
    2000 Trans Am WS6

check out ebay for deals, i got new pp stg II ls6 heads for $900, cartec ported ls6 intake for $375, bbk 80mm for $180... ebay is one good way to go, take you time and do alot of research and price checking also, you might save alot more than you expected
    00' ws6, custom paint, bolt on's and bolt in's.. http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewvehicle.php?id=11454

Black
    1998 Z28

The 99 block is better because of something to do with the oil passages. But wouldnt a Z28 look nasty with a 6.0 badge? Id yank an iron 6liter out of a truck, put some good heads and a cam in it and roll with that. Its what i wanted to do.

torch red
    99 c5

lol i'm running a 6.0 iron block.. bored out to a 402 ..

black
    92 Sonoma GT

keep your motor and bore it .030 over new rings,bearings,etc and you'll gain some horse

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by crawlingt
    keep your motor and bore it .030 over new rings,bearings,etc and you'll gain some horse
    You can't bore a 98 .030. The cylinder liner's are only .100 thick. Besides, a .030 overbore doesn't make any difference in power. The only thing you would gain would be better sealing over a worn out hole.

If you take the engine to a machine shop, they can tell you how worn the cylinders are and whether or not you can safely hone it and rebuild it. But if I remember, the max you can bore it is .010 over.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

seems like it would be as little more than that. but your proally right.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po
    seems like it would be as little more than that. but your proally right.
    I got that spec from the How To Build High-Performance Chevy LS1/LS6 V-8s book by Will Handzel. Great referance for any LS1 owner.

I'll try to find the spec and post it/scan it.

black
    92 Sonoma GT

Quote Originally Posted by hammertime
    You can't bore a 98 .030. The cylinder liner's are only .100 thick. Besides, a .030 overbore doesn't make any difference in power. The only thing you would gain would be better sealing over a worn out hole.

If you take the engine to a machine shop, they can tell you how worn the cylinders are and whether or not you can safely hone it and rebuild it. But if I remember, the max you can bore it is .010 over.
    so does this meen that 99 and up blocks can be bored more and boring the block would give you more cubic inches and being able to fit in more air assuming that you can fill up that space and give adequate feul which would give you more power.

also would a 383 stroker kit be possible on a 98 block?

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Sorry guys, internet problems today, I guess after yesterdays storms...

Anyway, its actually worse than what I had stated above. From page 27 of the book:

GM recommends th '97 to '98 LS1 blocks be honed only 0.004 inch and '99 and later blocks can only be machined 0.010 inches.
    As far as I've found, most LS1 based 383's are just finish honed to accomodate the new pistons and then stroked up from 3.62 to 4.00 inches.

NBM
    98 Trans Am convertible

I have a 98 TA also, so much for rebuilding my engine at any point, i guess i should start looking for a 6.0 or ls2 and do a engine swap instead of a rebuild with a head and cam package
    Last edited by 98TAvert; 04-08-2006 at 07:35 AM.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

boring does give you power i guess. but what the meaning of it is to get the cylinders true and round. giving maximum ring seal= good sturdy power.

Thread Information