Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Realistic or dumb?

This is a discussion on Realistic or dumb? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; You can pick up a new fast 92 but you're gonna pay over 900 and you still need a TB. ...

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

You can pick up a new fast 92 but you're gonna pay over 900 and you still need a TB. Like everyone else said, LS6 would probably be the best for you. If you really want it to look different get it painted

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

how about my stock gears? I believe I have 3:23s. Is that enough gear, or am I gonna experience problems with a ratio that high?

Also is it safe to be doing mods this extensive on a car with this kind of mileage?(128k) I'm worried about all the dyno time the tune is going to invlove. The shop that's tuning my car(LSx Powersports) said it would take roughly 2hrs on the dyno to tune the car. Is that safe? Last thing I want is to dump $1600 into my ws6 and then have it blow on the dyno that same day lol.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Not sure about the cam you are getting but Vengeance racing told me for the cam I want (Vindicator cam), which is 240/244, 3.73 gears would be great.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I would put a lower ratio gear in personally. Ex: 373 or even a 410.
    It's on jackstands.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

I used this cam on a 114 LSA and am going back with it on my rebuild. I did change out intakes to an LS6 and changed gears to 4.11's with a built automatic and 3600 stall and would not hesitate to drive it daily if I had to. It was tuned pretty good, I could start it from outside the car even cold without issue and it would idle fine at redlights with the AC still blowing. It did not like going 30 mph, I'm not going to lie, it bucked a bit until I eased up a MPH or 2 but other than that I loved it and am going back with the same build this go around (2nd gear drop at 80 MPH and 4.11's with this cam, even with the dual springs, causes massive PTV issues I can garuntee it!).

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Oooo that sounds scary. How do I go about dealing with that? Last thing I want is for them to collide, causing a mini atom bomb to go off in my engine lol

Dont forget that if you get a huge cam you are going to lose alot down low. I know alot of people that regret over camming their car. MS3 is not streetable imo. There are alot of mild cammed cars that out run the big donkey cams around here.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

see that's the thing, i've been getting a huge variety of opinions regarding the ms3. Both shop owners i've spoken too say that the cam will work just fine for a daily driver, and that it isn't as big of a cam as it may look on paper. And then on the other hand I've had several people tell me that they would advise something smaller for a DD. I'm 2 weeks away from calling the shop and ordering everything, but I'm not exactly sure what I want lol

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

What some consider streetable might be completely different from your opinion. I suggest seeing if there are any people in your area willing to give you a spin in their car so you can get an idea of how aggressive you are willing to go. Ask the shop to check into previous customers, check the forum for local people that have done similar modifications to their car. Maybe you get lucky. You might find something you thought you wanted might drive you nuts in the long run.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Ok so I ordered the MS3 today, double valve springs, pushrods, and ls2 timing chain. My question is, do I really need to go with a higher volume oil pump? My pressure currently holds at 60psi around idle, so do I still need a ported ls6 pump?

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

dropped off at the shop the other day. will post dyno tune vid and start up vid later this week. Sadly I won't be there for the dyno or first start, work and school
    specs:
    MS3-112lsa
    .650 dual valve springs
    7.4 hardened pushrods
    ported lingenfelter ls6 oil pump
    ls2 timing chain with upgraded cam and crankshaft gears

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I would highly suggest an upgraded oil pump. You will already be right there. Have it upgraded now.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I would highly suggest an upgraded oil pump. You will already be right there. Have it upgraded now.
    I am upgrading it, it was mentioned in the part list above your post

I have the TSP 228R and its the biggest I would ever consider for a street car. Its perfect because it didnt lose any low end and gained 50rwh up top.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

OMG the car is an absolute monster. With the ls1 intake on its best-hot-run it made 380rwhp and 427tq. It's very driveable in stop and go, just takes some getting used to, as long as you aren't trying to cruise in 1st or 2nd gear at a low rpm, it's absolutely fine. I'll be throwing on a LS6 or FAST intake here in a month or so. The shop owner said the RWHP would get north of 400 with any kind of better intake other than the ls1

hmm that torque number seems really high. 380 is pretty good.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    hmm that torque number seems really high. 380 is pretty good.
    I've got a dyno sheet of one of the runs, where it made 377/427, not it's best run, but up there.

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    I've got a dyno sheet of one of the runs, where it made 377/427, not it's best run, but up there.
    Yeah dyno numbers are crazy anyway. Ive seen 285wh ls1's out run another with 340wh. I try not to look into the numbers much anymore.

Those are some good numbers

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

thanks, yeah I take dyno numbers with a grain of salt, they vary hugely depending on the dyno. Sadly I can't take it to the track to see what it can do. I fear for the rear end

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information